74 posts
  • 2 / 8
 by AvengerRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Couple of takeaways for me.

All those posters defending Goff last year hopefully now see the light. There were actually knowledgable posters saying Goff just needed another year.

And then there were posters who were saying Goff was over his turnover issues cause he didnt turn the ball over the last 2 games.

Its a slippery slope when you get so attached to a Rams player that you can't honestly evaluate his shortcomings.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

Speaking for myself opinion of Jared Goff was, and still is, that he's capable of playing at a very high level with the right supporting cast. That's what made him a 100+ passer rating QB with the Rams in 2017 and 2018. In 2019 and 2020, his play was inconsistent as the OL struggled at times, the running game was less consistent in the post-Gurley period, and the Rams lacked a consistent deep threat.

Put Goff on this year's Cowboys or Bucs team...he probably has very good numbers. In Detroit, nobody is particularly surprised that he's not able to elevate a weak offensive roster.

For me, the biggest eye opener is how much better Stafford is than Goff. When the trade was first announced, I concede that I was not all that psyched about it because, not having watched Stafford that closely, I didn't realize how good he is. Now, its pretty clear.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Hmmmm....only 6 games, eh!!?? :oops2:

Well that took a somewhat shorter time than I had calculated for Captain CheckDown to be exposed & reviled in MoTown. :idea2:

As I posted last week,
So for the forsaken & longsuffering Lions Faithful, after all of the hoopla of the 2021 BIG QB TRADE...Detroit's St. Clair River has become:

THE TROFF OF BROKEN DREAMS! :? :arrow2: :(

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been harsh here at RFU on Jared Goff. Very harsh.
I explained to pro-Goff guys that I never really thought much of him as a vocal, nor inspiring leader, even when JG wore The Horns. I also explained that McSnead would look like geniuses if, after the gamble they took to trade all that DRAFT CAPITAL...
PLUS the young (and supposedly up-sided) Goff....

for a 33 year old injury-prone QB with a losing W-L record and zero playoff wins....

THAT McSNEAD WOULD LOOK ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT IF STAFFORD PLAYED LIKE GANGBUSTERS....

AND IF GOFF CRASHED & BURNED IN DETROIT. :idea2:

ME: Je ne regrette rien!! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

by bremillard
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

AvengerRam wrote:I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

Speaking for myself opinion of Jared Goff was, and still is, that he's capable of playing at a very high level with the right supporting cast. That's what made him a 100+ passer rating QB with the Rams in 2017 and 2018. In 2019 and 2020, his play was inconsistent as the OL struggled at times, the running game was less consistent in the post-Gurley period, and the Rams lacked a consistent deep threat.

Put Goff on this year's Cowboys or Bucs team...he probably has very good numbers. In Detroit, nobody is particularly surprised that he's not able to elevate a weak offensive roster.

For me, the biggest eye opener is how much better Stafford is than Goff. When the trade was first announced, I concede that I was not all that psyched about it because, not having watched Stafford that closely, I didn't realize how good he is. Now, its pretty clear.

The only thing Goff is capable of is ruining good teams like he did the Rams. Every NFL QB shows flashes of adequacy. Goff did that but then dumped games. His consistency was horrible even with a great surrounding cast. McVay kept him propped up for as long as possible then dumped him when he got the chance.

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Goff will always have a job as long as he wants it. Everyone needs a backup with starter experience. We know he's got his limitations and his ceiling wasn't as high as we thought. But in the right circumstance he could be serviceable enough. It would have to be as a backup with teams like TB, KC, etc. Teams that have good coaching and surrounding talent. A mediocre offense and he'll continue to struggle. I imagine he'll have to take a massive pay cut to continue playing quarterback in the NFL after his Lions tenure is over.

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Couple of takeaways for me.

All those posters defending Goff last year hopefully now see the light. There were actually knowledgable posters saying Goff just needed another year.

And then there were posters who were saying Goff was over his turnover issues cause he didnt turn the ball over the last 2 games.

Its a slippery slope when you get so attached to a Rams player that you can't honestly evaluate his shortcomings.

Up until last year the Rams thought Goff would improve too. It happens. I'm glad they rectified the mistake and now have a good quarterback. I was attached to Goff. Goff is gone and I'm attached to Stafford now. Because, well, team first for me. If us being wrong on Goff makes you feel better, I'm happy for you. We should all be able to feel good.

by Will0120
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

AvengerRam wrote:For me, the biggest eye opener is how much better Stafford is than Goff. When the trade was first announced, I concede that I was not all that psyched about it because, not having watched Stafford that closely, I didn't realize how good he is. Now, its pretty clear.

That's me exactly too...! :?

• 2 / 8
74 posts Apr 29 2024