by Elvis
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38457  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.dailynews.com/2021/10/15/ra ... -stafford/

Rams’ O-line is big part of protecting Matthew Stafford

By KEVIN MODESTI | kmodesti@scng.com | Daily News
PUBLISHED: October 15, 2021 at 5:03 p.m. | UPDATED: October 15, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.

THOUSAND OAKS — Before the Rams take advantage of Matthew Stafford’s arm, they have to keep the quarterback on his feet.

How well they would do that this season wasn’t clear after their center left as a free agent and they added no offensive linemen, leaving uncertainty about who would play center and right guard going into training camp.

Now, worries about the Rams’ offensive line appear to be behind them, because opposing pass rushers remain in front of them. Stafford has been sacked just four times during the Rams’ 4-1 start, the fewest among quarterbacks with four or more starts. According to pro-football-reference.com, he has faced pass-rush pressure 25 times (an NFL low), has been forced to scramble three times (tied for the league low), and has had to make just eight “hurried” throws (tied for second-lowest).

“It definitely starts with the guys up front,” Stafford said this week. “They’re doing a hell of a job blowing guys up in the run game and also doing a great job protecting me.”

As Stafford noted, a quarterback’s security in the pocket is about more than the offensive line.

That’s what New York Giants coach Joe Judge saw as he reviewed Rams game tape before the teams play Sunday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

“First off, they’re running the ball. When you run the ball at such a clip, your pass protection is always better than drop-back protection just by nature of the defensive line having to play the run first,” Judge said during a Zoom call with Rams beat writers. “It gives you room to breathe.”

The Rams actually are running the ball less with Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel than they did last season with Cam Akers in the backfield, but the threat has allowed Stafford to average 13.1 yards on play-action passes.

“The skill guys do a great job of getting open and getting open fast,” Judge said, meaning wide receivers Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Van Jefferson and DeSean Jackson and tight end Tyler Higbee. “(Rams coach) Sean (McVay) does a really good job of designing the plays to make sure he takes advantage of what you’re doing coverage-wise and finds the right matchup.”

Stafford himself is another reason Stafford doesn’t get hit much.

“This guy does a really, really good job of preparing and knowing what you’re going to play. He does a great job pre-snap of diagnosing the coverages and really having an idea of where to go before it ever happens,” Judge said. “So it’s a combination of really affecting your pass rush with the run game, buying time for the quarterback, skill guys who can get open very quickly, and then a big-armed, accurate passer who can get the ball out fast.”

Rams offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell suggests one more element: Henderson’s and Michel’s blocking, especially when the pace picks up and the offensive line can miss protection calls.

“Sacks in general and pressures and things like that are an all-11 stat,” O’Connell said.

But it starts with the five who have played practically every offensive down: left tackle Andrew Whitworth, left guard David Edwards, center Brian Allen, right guard Austin Corbett and right tackle Rob Havenstein.

Lauding the group’s performance, McVay praised first-year offensive line coach Kevin Carberry and mentioned Edwards first.

“I think his consistency, I think his length and athleticism has really shown up,” McVay said of Edwards.

Edwards said the line’s success is the result of the starters having played together off and on since 2019. Allen’s comeback from a knee injury in mid-’19 allowed him to reclaim his position after Austin Blythe’s departure, allowing Corbett to stay at guard instead of switching to center. O’Connell calls Allen’s communication with Stafford “next-level stuff.”

“I think there’s good familiarity,” Edwards said. “There was good communication from the start. I didn’t think there was any hiccup or transition.”

The Rams drafted receivers and defensive players in the early rounds in April, and weren’t drawn to any linemen later. They carry 10 linemen and train young blockers at multiple positions. They’ll count on versatility if injuries strike.

Last season, with Jared Goff at quarterback, the Rams allowed 25 sacks, seventh-best in the league, but that represented a short slide from their league-best 22 in 2019.

Allowing less than one sack a game so far this year might be more impressive because Stafford throws deep more than Goff did, requiring longer protection.

“We know as a unit, ‘Hey, block forever,’” Edwards said.

So far, so good. But Edwards said he and his linemates are thinking about the next 12 regular-season games, not the first five.

“This group is a work in progress,” he said. “I’m excited to see what we can be towards the end.”

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The title of that article is so Captain Obvious.

I'm glad they feel they can improve.

by 69RamFan
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3174  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:Now sacked 6 times in 6 games. 1 per. Still really good.

That sake to me was a coverage sack,

Like a few other games that he should of thown it away, held on to it too long.

Not blaming the OL on those either.....

• 1 / 1
4 posts Apr 19 2024