171 posts
  • 1 / 18
 by BobCarl
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I'm not going to defend him.

This issue is bigger than "the first coach to be fired in 2021".

This issue needs to be brought to the fore. Is Gruden part of the systemic culture?

No doubt a lot of hypocrites of all cultures will be throwing stones.

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

NFL sends internal message to employees regarding Jon Gruden email
Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2021, 8:48 PM EDT

In the aftermath of the news that Raiders coach Jon Gruden sent an email to former Washington executive Bruce Allen in 2011 containing a racist trope regarding NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith, the NFL has sent an email to all employees regarding the situation.

“You may have seen media reports today regarding a July 2011 email from Jon Gruden, who was then an employee of ESPN and is now the head coach of the Raiders,” the message begins. “The email made inappropriate and offensive references to NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith.

“These references to DeMaurice Smith in the email were denigrating, appalling, abhorrent, and contrary to our values of respect and inclusivity. We whole heartedly condemn these comments.

“We would like to remind everyone that we take our NFL values seriously. Our HR department and our leaders are always available to support anyone who feels that these values have been compromised.”

The NFL reportedly is investigating Gruden for potential discipline. The Raiders also are reviewing the matter.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... den-email/

by max
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Not a good look for the Raiders. Something about them that says shitshow.

by Joe Pendleton
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1843  
Virgin Islands (USA)   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

.. one word "hubris"

by snackdaddy
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

He said it wasn't meant as a racial remark. He claims he's used to term rubber lips to say someone is lying. "Lips the size of Michelin tires" means he's saying the guy has rubber lips.

But it really isn't smart to use that term in that situation. If I had said that the first thing that would come to my mind is "Boy, that does sound racial". He had time to think about it because he would have to hit the send button after typing it. Question is, was his excuse believable?

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

What was DeMaurice Smith allegedly lying about?

The Michelin man has usually been associated with being large and round.
And has anyone here ever used the term 'rubber lips' to describe a fibber? I never heard that one before..

by BobCarl
2 years 6 months ago
Superstar

profootballtalk opinion wrote:.... potential discipline.

At the time of the incident, Gruden wasn't an employee of the Raiders or the NFL, he was a member of the media.

It will be interesting to see how the NFL uses their authority regarding detrimental conduct when Gruden wasn't an employee.

If Gruden had engaged in other acts of misconduct of this nature, then there there will be former players, former coworkers, and former employees that will be coming forward with their experiences.

The Raider's comment included the mention of "other materials" that the NFL sent to them. I'm not sure if this includes other allegations of this nature, or if it is written guidance on what an owner's responsibility is regarding a matter as serious as this.

The sentiments of current players, and former players will matter more to Mark Davis than anything the NFL office or the public says.

I recall Roger Goodell apologizing in public for the NFL's former, but more recent position of oppressing the sentiments of African American Players. Mark Davis was the only NFL owner that refused to accept or enforce that oppressive position.

It is time for people who have had first hand interactions with Gruden to speak up.

by Kid Charlamagne
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
Veteran

What’s crazy is that the nfl was investigating the shitshow in Washington that led to a big fat lawsuit when they stumbled on Gruden going off about Smith. What his beef was with Smith isn’t clear as it’s been stated he wasn’t coaching at the time.
Gruden seems old school in a lot of ways and this is one. Smith’s job is to stand up for the players and hopefully keep the owners from taking advantage but I’m sure he’s not the most popular guy with owners. A black man going against rich and powerful owners rubs some people the wrong way just on principle. I guess he was upset about Smith’s negotiations with owners Gruden is friendly with but this kind of thing seems childish and small minded, not to mention overtly racist. I don’t like pulling things out of someone’s past but Gruden was a grown man not a high school kid. Everyone makes mistakes but the fact that he thought (thinks?) this way has to be troubling for everyone in the Raider organization. How do they talk about you in coaches meetings when you have a bad game?
And how do they move on from this? Well, first he apologized, then he screwed it up by coming up with some shit about “rubber lips” is his term for someone who lies, I doubt a single one of his players bought that but maybe Davis will.
Sadly, it doesn’t seem like guys like Gruden and Meyer will ever figure out that they should do some introspection, they’ve done what they wanted for a long time and it’s worked out for them.

by BobCarl
2 years 6 months ago
Superstar

Awesome post KC!

This part about Davis is the only part that that I'll take issue with.

Kid Charlamagne wrote:I doubt a single one of his players bought that but maybe Davis will.

If the great players of the past support Gruden, and if the current players support Gruden, and if the loyal Raider fans support Gruden, then and only then will Mark Davis support Gruden. Davis won't buy into anything without them.

by ramsrams
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

Hey Bob, hope you are doing well, my friend.

Got my bro Canuck here visiting, having a great time.

Be well.

• 1 / 18
171 posts Apr 17 2024