3 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by CRamsFly
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   176  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

I heard an interesting theory (can't remember where) about team building and positional value. The theory is that

1. Some positions are more valuable than others.
2. Team should build around stars in those valuable positions, meaning high dollar contracts should go to those stars in high value positions.
3. High draft picks (1st/2nd) should be limited to those high value positions so that if those draft picks work out, you can pay them on their 2nd contracts. You don't want to use high draft picks on the lower value positions since even if they work out, you don't want to pay them on their 2nd contracts.

So based on this theory, and if I assume that the Rams are using this philosophy, the high value positions for the Rams are - QB, CB, OT, WR, pass-rushers (whether OLB/DE/DT, doesn't matter as long as the player is a good pass rusher). Lower value positions for the Rams are - interior OL, DL (who are not good pass rushers), ILB, FS/SS.

Position of which I'm unsure but leaning towards high value - RB (the Rams paid Gurley, but not sure they will ever do so again), TE (paid Higbee, but not for Everett).

If the Rams are using this philosophy, it's easier to understand the Rams not drafting interior OL with high draft picks. And why they keep picking WR with their 2nd round picks. They also trade away high draft picks for the high value positions (Stafford, Ramsey) and pay large contracts for those positions (Ramsey, Woods, Kupp, Whit, Havenstein, Donald) but not for lower value positions (Littleton, Johnson, Everett).

It will be interesting to see who the Rams pay next for a high value contract. Stafford is probably a given, but who else? Darius Williams? Noteboom?

by PARAM
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CRamsFly wrote:They also trade away high draft picks for the high value positions (Stafford, Ramsey) and pay large contracts for those positions (Ramsey, Woods, Kupp, Whit, Havenstein, Donald) but not for lower value positions (Littleton, Johnson, Everett).

Great post.

Don't forget we gave up 2 firsts for "that other QB" and another first for Brandin Cooks. QB², WR and CB.

They are also smart enough to trade lower picks for pass rushers like Dante Fowler and then pay him for a 2nd year...move on and pay Floyd to replace him then extend him for what, 4 years?Fowler certainly played a huge roll in 2018 as Floyd did last year.

They traded a 2nd (?) for Marcus Peters then upgraded to Ramsey. But I think the most remarkable thing about these guys is identifying contributors like DWill and Corbett.

I think these guys have demonstrated they can identify and acquire the proper players, so though we question some things (and rightfully so), they have built a winner. Consistent winner.

• 1 / 1
3 posts Apr 17 2024