87 posts
  • 1 / 9
 by ramsman34
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Ok it’s Wednesday. The team has put week 1 win in the rear view and are practicing, game planning, and preparing for the road trip to Indy.

I am going to start with my concerns.

Colts Run game vs our Run D:

Colts have a much better OL than the bears. And a more dynamic lead back. The Rams run tackling was not sharp week 1. It should improve as the season progresses. But I am not sure how much in one week. Their run fits seemed good for the most part as it was bad tackling more than losing gap integrity that allowed Montgomery to get good and consistent gains. This sets up the Colts play action which should be a bale to take deeper shots than the Bears due to the OL.

Carson Wentz/Frank Reich see 2017:

Maybe not worth much these days with different team, players, experience since, etc. But, I remember the Eagles taking it to our D pretty well until Wentz was injured. Then Foles came in and finished the Rams off. It may mean nothing or there might be some angle on the Rams these 2 have together.

Our OL vs Colts front 7:

I think they are more formidable than the Bears. Seattle did hit some deep shots on them. So hopefully those are available this a Sunday for the Rams. I expect the Colts pass D to play better this week. We will see
EDIT: Hawkstraps avg 5.2 YPC and had 4 passing TDs. We will see if the Colts correct either/both issues come Sunday

I will do some more research and review then add to this post but just wanted to kick off the discussion. Please add your thoughts and comments.

EDIT: Prognosticators see a Rams blowout. I am not so sure about that. But wholly welcome it 8-)

Mods, feel free to merge this with the game day thread once it’s up.

by Elvis
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

And just like that, this is the game day thread…

by actionjack
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3936  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Im not sure there has been a more precipitous fall for a player than Carson Wentz.
He went from being considered MVP of the league until Mark Barron nailed him at the goal line. He hasnt been the same player since.

I would expect the Rams defense to make Wentz beat them. His accuracy has not been good and pocket awareness has also declined. I see the defense play similar to Dalton, dont give up anything big and make him dink and dunk down the field.

I dont expect a blow out but it could see a game similar to the Bears game.

by ramsman34
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

A little more research on our run defense; it seems there were more missed run fits than what I thought I saw. I do feel fairly good that both better tackling and better run fits will happen Sunday. But, there will still be some rust and miscues. Missed run fits happen. not getting a runner down on first contact shouldn't happen very often. THAT is one area I want to see improvement. I also want to see more QB pressure from a 4-man rush.

I do think Wentz is a bit fragile psychologically at this time. Pressure and hit him often, early and we should be able to handle them. Absolutely have to eliminate run play explosives. Make them go 70+ yds. - in incremental gains - to score.

by actionjack
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3936  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:A little more research on our run defense; it seems there were more missed run fits than what I thought I saw. I do feel fairly good that both better tackling and better run fits will happen Sunday. But, there will still be some rust and miscues. Missed run fits happen. not getting a runner down on first contact shouldn't happen very often. THAT is one area I want to see improvement. I also want to see more QB pressure from a 4-man rush.

I do think Wentz is a bit fragile psychologically at this time. Pressure and hit him often, early and we should be able to handle them. Absolutely have to eliminate run play explosives. Make them go 70+ yds. - in incremental gains - to score.

I feel like the Rams accomplished exactly what they were trying to do. Make Chicago go on long drives, dink and dunk. If you take out the 41 yard run, chicago averaged around 3.5 a carry which is where they want to be as a defense. I wouldnt be surprised to see J. Taylor get some decent runs early, but like chicago I think it will fade as the game goes on.

I would like to see more pressure as well in the game. Hopefully Floyd, AD and Hollins can cause some havoc.

by AvengerRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Nice to see a clean injury report.

Interesting that Chris Garrett seems to still be on the COVID list. Guess that means he actually contracted the illness, rather than merely having an exposure.

• 1 / 9
87 posts Apr 16 2024