85 posts
  • 3 / 9
 by snackdaddy
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9690  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Not seeing Tutu in any offensive plays. Not much in special teams returns either. I wonder if McVay will start to use him on jet sweeps at some point? Or does he wait till year two? Also haven't seen the deep pass to Jackson either. At some point you would think they'll unleash that beast.

by 69RamFan
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

CRamsFly wrote:Indeed, it will be interesting to see how the offense plays against 6-man fronts and cover 0, but I'm hoping that with Stafford's experience and ability to read defenses pre- and post-snap, he can make defenses pay for playing cover 0 more often than Goff did.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, I just don't see any team we're playing, that use six man fronts or cover zero in their schemes, and what I mean, there is no team that practice those schemes, and just to use is against us wouldn't be a good idea when they don't have the experience of doing, as such as teams like NE or Miami.

But that doesnt mean we shouldn't practice against that type of scheme, we should be ready and practice against all type of schemes.

by Hacksaw
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Seems that is the biggest difference. With his quick reads and release Stafford should make a team deploying Cover 0 pay the price.

by RedAlice
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Seems that is the biggest difference. With his quick reads and release Stafford should make a team deploying Cover 0 pay the price.

Absolutely.

And its only been two games - McVay and Stafford are just beginning to get used to each other.

by PARAM
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12295  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

RedAlice wrote:Absolutely.

And its only been two games - McVay and Stafford are just beginning to get used to each other.

Stafford has certainly gotten used to Kupp fairly quickly!!! :D

by ramsman34
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

aeneas1 wrote:mcvay made a huge splash as the rams new head coach by fielding an explosive offense, an offense that ranked 2nd (2017) and 3rd (2018) in offensive scoring, and second only to the chiefs for the 2017-2018 stretch.

it was an explosive offense built on 11-personnel groupings (3-wr, 1-te) - no team ran 11 more than the rams during 2017-2018.

but mcvay migrated from 11-personnel to 12-personnel (2-wr, 2-te) in 2019 & 2020 as pass pro began to struggle, especially against 6+ man fronts and cover 0 schemes - and with the change came a huge drop-off in offensive scoring.

in 2019 the rams ranked 15th in offensive scoring and in 2020 they ranked 23rd - for the 2019-2020 stretch the rams ranked 18th in offensive scoring, bottom half of the league.

anyway, the 2021 rams are back to fielding 11-personnel, they rank second in 11 usage thru week 2 - in fact the rams are back to fielding a lot of 3+ wr sets (including 11) and a lot fewer 2 te sets, just as they did in 2017 and 2018.

but even with much fewer 2 te sets, stafford is currently the 3rd least pressured qb.

1st and 2nd downs - 2 or fewer wr sets:

2017 - 10%
2018 - 11%
2019 - 26%
2020 - 40%
2021 - 15%

1st and 2nd downs - 3 or more wr sets:

2017 - 90%
2018 - 89%
2019 - 72%
2020 - 59%
2021 - 86%

The Bears game looked different than the Colts game personnel wise. What’s the comps of 11P between those 2 games?

Also, MCV can motion to doubles (4 receivers, 1 back) and empty out 11P which I think we will see against the bucks. Can also line up a WR in the backfield which he has done and get Tutu on the field that way. But doubt he does that.

by Elvis
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38771  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Snap counts against Indi showed very little variation in personnel.

But let's not forget due to our bendable defense and quick strike offense we've run the 3rd fewest offensive plays in the NFL after 2 weeks.

So this may or may not be the norm. It's hard to say...

by ramsman34
2 years 7 months ago

I told you we would see a fair number of empty sets; at least 8 by my count, maybe more. And they shifted to them out of some wild personnel groups.

by 69RamFan
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

My game assessment against the Bucs.

All three phases of the game was outstanding,

ST, Hekker hit all of his three punts inside the 20 with Gay hitting all of his XP and FG.

The coverage didn't make no mistakes, the only mistake on ST was a holding call.

Next the O.

Lets start in the trences. Our OL is top notch this year, they only gave up one sack 2 TFL and 4 QB Hits, Kept Staff clean today, and opened up holds at the end of the game for the run game to kill the clock.

That first scoring drive was 95yds down the field, kept TB O off the field and weared down the Defense, and then the next drive was that 75 yd bomb to DJax.
Staff missed DJax on the first bomb, under threw it. and then the second attempt, he couldnt follow through with his throw, because the rush broke through, so it was short too.
But the third time is a charm.

I haven't rewatched the game yet, I like doing so to key on the OL, but just could see, Staff not getting touched most of the game... I knew they did great, especial up the middle against NT Vea and Suh. Allen is holding his own, what a big suprise... especial for those who wanted to draft a Center this past draft, and I was one of them.

We had 63 total offensive plays, 38 pass attempts with 24 runs pretty balance

Top stats:
Staff: Att/38, CMP/27, CMP%/71%, YD/343, 4/TD, 1/sack, 0/INT, Passer RT/134.0

Kupp: 12/Targets, 9/Rec, 96yds, 2/TD

DJax: 5/Targetes, 3/Rec 120yds 1/TD

Now for our Defense

Run defense showed up, only giving up 35yds and Brady had 14 of those yds.

Ok the passing stats doesnt look great for our defensive backs, but a lot of those number is because of the style our defense were playing, bend but don't break. and most of those were garbage yds at the end of the game.

Our DL played great,

AD just being AD.. 1/sack, 1/TFL, 1/QBhit, 1PD, 1/FF

ILB/Young played outstanding today, 8/T 2/A 10/T 1/sack, 3/TFL, 1/QBhit

OLB/Lewis putting that hit on Gronk, Ouch!!! :D :D :D

Now for those that say we didnt play anyone our first two games,
Just to let everyone know, those two teams were playoff teams and TB were SB champs last season, and we just made them look small.

This was a team win in all three phases of the game.

Just to add, this game brought out all of the Stars of other sport teams and movies stars.

by ramsman34
2 years 7 months ago

69RamFan wrote:My game assessment against the Bucs.

All three phases of the game was outstanding,

ST, Hekker hit all of his three punts inside the 20 with Gay hitting all of his XP and FG.

The coverage didn't make no mistakes, the only mistake on ST was a holding call.

Next the O.

Lets start in the trences. Our OL is top notch this year, they only gave up one sack 2 TFL and 4 QB Hits, Kept Staff clean today, and opened up holds at the end of the game for the run game to kill the clock.

That first scoring drive was 95yds down the field, kept TB O off the field and weared down the Defense, and then the next drive was that 75 yd bomb to DJax.
Staff missed DJax on the first bomb, under threw it. and then the second attempt, he couldnt follow through with his throw, because the rush broke through, so it was short too.
But the third time is a charm.

I haven't rewatched the game yet, I like doing so to key on the OL, but just could see, Staff not getting touched most of the game... I knew they did great, especial up the middle against NT Vea and Suh. Allen is holding his own, what a big suprise... especial for those who wanted to draft a Center this past draft, and I was one of them.

We had 63 total offensive plays, 38 pass attempts with 24 runs pretty balance

Top stats:
Staff: Att/38, CMP/27, CMP%/71%, YD/343, 4/TD, 1/sack, 0/INT, Passer RT/134.0

Kupp: 12/Targets, 9/Rec, 96yds, 2/TD

DJax: 5/Targetes, 3/Rec 120yds 1/TD

Now for our Defense

Run defense showed up, only giving up 35yds and Brady had 14 of those yds.

Ok the passing stats doesnt look great for our defensive backs, but a lot of those number is because of the style our defense were playing, bend but don't break. and most of those were garbage yds at the end of the game.

Our DL played great,

AD just being AD.. 1/sack, 1/TFL, 1/QBhit, 1PD, 1/FF

ILB/Young played outstanding today, 8/T 2/A 10/T 1/sack, 3/TFL, 1/QBhit

OLB/Lewis putting that hit on Gronk, Ouch!!! :D :D :D

Now for those that say we didnt play anyone our first two games,
Just to let everyone know, those two teams were playoff teams and TB were SB champs last season, and we just made them look small.

This was a team win in all three phases of the game.

Just to add, this game brought out all of the Stars of other sport teams and movies stars.

If you look at PGs, see how many times they shifted from 11 and 10 into empty. I had a gut feeling they would do it a lot more than usual as TB is bottom 2 defense in the league against empty sets. I counted at least 8 snaps where the either lined up or (more often) shifted to empty. They also had a wild 4 receiver stack I think to the boundary where they they hit a big gain. Used WRs in the backfield…a lot of creative groups and formations/shifts. I never have time to rewatch, ugh.

• 3 / 9
85 posts May 18 2024