20 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by Elvis
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Bubba Day 2:

Day 2 VFR and I had our ritual beer while waiting for practice to start. Another huge crowd and we picked the south stands at the 45 yd line hoping we'd get 11 on 11 in front of us. (we did,, yeah!)

Got another voice recorder that actually works, so this report will be as practice progressed I'll go item by item.

Defensive in front of us, doing warmups, stretching, sprints, DB's back peddling swinging hips back and forth.

Other position groups doing pretty much the same. for 15-20 min. then into drills with a lot of coaching. Today the first half of TC was mostly coaching for a pos groups.

Same group as yesterday practicing fielding punts on north field so could tell how they did. I did see Otis Anderson bobble one of his.

Next had DB's and LB's. Drilled coming out of 3point stance with DB in their face and try and grab a rag from a trainer. I don't get the point of the drill but maybe one of you do.

Saw Jacob Harris on the sideline was suited up and playing toss with Hekker. Methinks he's close to seeing the field.

Next drill had DB's, LB"s and TE"S coming out of 3 pt and trying to knock a soccar ball out of trainers hands.

DL group came and drilled on stripping ball from a trainer, that was fun, Donald and AShawn trying to outdo each other.

Same drill with LB's. Trainer throwing ball at them as they come out of 3pt stance, they're supposed to catch it, most didn't. Jones caught 2.

LB drill where two square off at each other, coach says "Go" one try to get by the other,

On the far field We could see QB's throwing deep passes to WR's with no DB's covering. looked like lots of completions (as there should be)

Next Coach and trainers had DB's going deep for balls. I really liked this drill and first time I've seen it in practice. DB's should be proficient in catching the football, after all once it leaves the QB's hand it belongs to whoever can catch it.

So far TC has been all about warm-ups, various drills with alot of coaching and standing around.

4;30 and a small break with everyone coming over to our side for scrimmage.

I know a lot of you, like myself, want to know who's playing where. I paid a lot of attention to get this right. Not a lot of changes from yesterday. Demby playing RT with the twos the biggest difference.

Offense ones- Whit lt, Edwards lg, Corbett C, Evans rg, Havenstien rt. Stafford QB, Kupp, WR, Woods WR, DeSean Jackson WR, Jefferson WR, Henderson RB, TE Higbee (All these only played with the first team) , the rest of the TE's played first and 2nd team. Funk, Calais, Jones took snaps with ones and twos, Tristen Jackson, Skowronik, Koski took snaps at WR with ones and twos. 2nd team O- Noteboom lt, Brewer lg, Allen C, Shelton rg, Demby rt. Wolford QB. Lots of subs played at WR and RB, TE.
Defense ones-Floyd DE, SJoDay DT, AD DT, ASshawn Rob DT, Hollins DE, Floyd DE. Young and Kiser ILB, Williams and Ramsey DB, Long, Burgess, slot, Rapp S, Fuller FS (green dot) I did see Donte Deayon with the ones at DB and slot for a few plays. Deayon did make a deflecton of a Stafford pass to Jefferson. Nice play. Defense twos- Lewis DE, Bobby Brown III DT, Gaines DT, Copeland DT, Jones ILB, Reeder ILB, OBO OLB, Howard OLB ILB, Rochell DB, Daeyon DB, slot, Bronte Harris DB, Burgess S, Scott FS, Gervase S.

They did a lot of switching around and subbing with the second teams, I guess in order to get a look at all the players. Some players on the roster got very little playing time. That may change so I won't name names, I'll give it another day or two.

Finally getting to see some scrimmage. here's several plays

Kupp and a jet sweep
Wolford to Tristen jackson Deayon with a deflection
Bryce Hopkins with a catch from Wolford
Stafford overthrows Kupp, Long covering
Wolford to ?, Kareem Orr got a hand on it, nice breakup
Stafford to Kupp over the middle, nice pass and catch, gonna be hard to defend that it happened so quick
Funk up the middle (with ones)
D Jack in slot, Tr Jack outside WR, DJack nice grab over the middle for 15. How about that. DSean jackson lining up in the slot and going over the middle! We gonna see that in real games?
Funk up the middle again with twos (Anchrum in for Demby at RT)
Hendo run right side for a few
Stafford incomplete to Jefferson
XJones run left side
Stafford quick out to Woods
Kupp good catch on sideline
Jefferson with another good catch

Near the end of practice they ran a few plays Ones vs Ones.

First play Stafford to Kupp over the middle for 10
Stafford to Woods left sideline for7
Hendo run right for no gain
Funk lines up in slot, Wood outside, Higbee as other wideout, Stafford to Higbee over middle for 8 or 10
Stafford to Jefferson with Rochell with a nice breakup

That all I've got 4 today's practice. A quiet day as for a practices go. Mostly drills and coaching the first hour and ahalf
11 on 11 was very vanilla, no big plays.

Stafford and the first string WR's are getting locked in. I haven't seen such good timing this early in TC.

Funk, Tristen Jackson, SeSean Jackson, Donte Daeyon were my standouts for today. Rb's all looked good. Lewis looked good, shows no sign of past injury. Corbett and Stafford look solid on their exchanges, under center and shotgun.

Pads come on Saturday. Then we can tell where the OL and DL are.

I know some of you like details, hence the play by play. Hope it was worth the wait.

by aeneas1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

dating back to ota's it seems pretty clear what the oline will look like, including corbett at center, yet ourlads and pff continue to show allen at center even after their updates, always with a grain of salt, eh?

anyhoo, awesome report, thanks!

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

phoenixrising wrote:Let me know if you're going to be here. I'm here till Wed. Is Hacksaw here? I'd like to touch base with you guys. Hope to see Bubba today. Going to see Ohtani pitch Sun.

I won't be able to get back until next week either. Probably going to Oxnard as well. Sirru yi miss you PHX..

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago

Great job Bubba. Thanks for the report...

by Elvis
2 years 8 months ago
Administrator

Bubba Day 3:

Day 3 was crowded, the biggest crowd so far. We sat in the north stands. Watched Max Pircher with assistant coach being coached up. Max is huge. Looks like a body builder, no fat on the man. He has stayed close to Whit and Havs both days.

Whitworth and Donald not present. Noteboom was with the ones at LT. I'm guessing given the day off as they were doing walk throughs, which I;'m sure disappointed most of the crowd that came to see action. Stafford only threw the ball like, 3 or 4 times.

Had special team drill, Hekker fake and passed to Higbee. Hekker never kicked the ball, just faked like he did. Drill was for D to get through to block. They did this 8 or 10 times.

They spent a lot of time stretching and going through warmups, then started walk throughs. Ones vs ones, they line up in different formations, 11 personel, 12, 3 WR;s to one side, a RB on the other (Funk more than a few times). they snap the ball and Stafford goes through the motion of throwing but just hang onto the ball. Very disappointing for the crowd. In these wald throughs, the D was mainly all the bottom of the roster. Bronte harris, JR Reed,Jovan Grant, Parris Ford, Kareem Orr, Derrick Moncrief, Dayon Lake, Max Roberts, Geogre Sivanic, Earnest Brown IV, Jon Daka. All these guys payed D vs the ones in walkthroughs at some point.

They did go full speed on a few plays, but never threw the ball.

I'm guessing a lite day because tomorrow the will be in pads for the first time.

Harris participated in the walk throughs. He never got into any contact, but nice to see him out there. Big and fast, can't wait to see him in full participation.

A lot of coaching went on today. McVay, Benoit and Stafford had a lot of conversations between plays.

Really looking forward to tomorrows practice as they will be in full pads. We can finally get some evaluation of OL and DL in 11 on 11's.
How well Corbett can keep Stafford clean, is the D better with AShawn Rob.

Will be a lot more to report tomorrow I suspect.

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago

Thank you Bubba, , , where ever you are.

by Elvis
2 years 8 months ago
Administrator

Bubba Day 4:

Day 4 I got there early, starting time was supposed to be 2pm, but they did even get on the field til 3, they all did stretching and warmups together. No Pads, they were all in shorts and shells. WTF?

Rochell only player not there. Jacob Harris was out there and participated some today.

Huge crowd as it was "family Day", about 85F

Had the punt return guys again. Same group, Landon Akers, JJ Koski, Ray Calias, Funk, Otis Anderson, Jerimiah Haydel. Calais fielded all his without any bobbles. Koski dropped one, Anderson bobbled 2. 4 days of watching these same guys fielding punts and the only one I have any confidence in is Calias.

Special teams drill rushing the punter, two seperate squads, Hekker with one, #16 camp leg Brandon Wright on the other.

Far field LB's fumble recovery drill. Coach bounces the ball out on the field and they try to pick it up and run with it.

Hekker did a fake punt again and threw it to Funk. There were no DB's. Crowd went wild anyway. Hekker banged a couple 50 yder's.

They sent the D after the punt returner and 4 or 5 punts, Funk looked pretty good returning on a couple, Calais has better hands.

Lots of punt coverage today.

QB's drilled taking snaps from trainer, then moving left and throwing accross their body 10 yds to a RB, Wolford and Hodges had trouble doing this. Perkins did pretty good, so did Stafford, but there were a lot of high and off passes. I hope the practice this drill more.

Next had QB's practicing handing off the RB's. The RB order as they did this is telling. Henderson was first, X Jones second,
Funk third, Calais then Anderson.

Another rotation and we have the QB's and WR's in front of us again. Trainers snapping for all four QB's and quick 10 yd slants as Wr's rotate from QB to QB. Nice to see Jacob Harris in the WR rotation. He's quick for a big guy. Kupp and Woods snagging balls one handed, wowing the crowd. Jefferson and Tristen Jackson look very good also. DeSean Jackson smiling and cutting it up with everyone and looks excellent out there. Hardly any dropped balls.

Now passes going 20-25 yds as Wr's go out (no DB's), Wood with a one handed grab, First bad pass from Stafford to Mundt. then overthrows Blanton next pass. Jacob Harris with a nice catch, wow he has a long stride.

Shortened it up to 5 yd quick zip over the middle passed. No one comes close to Kupp at snagging these, he makes it look easy.
DeSean good at this too. Harris with couple good grabs.

Finally 11 on 11's

OL the same with Whit back at LT, Edward LG, Corbett C (Allen did get snaps with the ones today), Evans RG, Havenstien RT.
D ones Floyd DE, SJD DT, AShawn DT, AD DT, Hollins DE, ILB Kiser, Young, OLB Obo, Lawler, DB Ramsey Williams, S Fuller, Rapp or Burgess

Green dot on fuller

Stafford to woods, missed just over his head.
Stafford to Skowronik for about 10
Koski from Wolford drops a 30 yder
Bobby Woods schooled Donte Daeyon with a good move to get open
Wolford to Skoronik for 10
DeSean from Stafford with Ramsey covering, Ramsey knocks it away30 yds deep! Ramsey and DJack having fun with that play.
tristen Jackson nice deep fingertip catch from Wolford with Williams covering

Running plays they are really getting after it, guys ending up in a dogpile several times. Really going hard at it today. McVay telling them to tone it down.

Now doing Red Zone drill. Higbee with a catch over the middle, Kupp low catch right at the goal line. couple running plays that go nowhere.

Ramsey with a pick six off Stafford! Stepped right in front of Jefferson(?) Donald running all the to the end zone with him doing flip at the goal line in celebration. Paly of the Day!
Stafford makes up for it on the next snap finding Kupp in the back of the endzone..

Funk gets in a good end around for a TD

That pretty much did it for me today. All in all the offense got the best of the D today.

Good to see Harris today. Funk continues to get a lot a touches. Both Jackson WR"s are looking good'

Really bummed they weren't in pads. Going 11 on 11 in shorts and shells is fun to watch, but you really can't get good evaluations, especially OL and DL.

My players of the day: Kupp, guy just makes it looks easy, catches everything thrown at him Ramsey: covered everyone, swatted away everything.

Will be there Monday, and hopefully they will be in pads. Sorry for the late post, been a long day.

by Flash
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

Thanks to Bubba and thanks to Elvis for posting!

Great stuff.

by Elvis
2 years 8 months ago
Administrator

Bubba Day 5:

Got there just as they were coming out. Stood and watched guys fielding from the punt machine, Landon Akers, Ray Calais, Otis Anderson, Jerimiah Haydel. No run backs, just fielding. (Runbacks later). all fielded OK, Calais stil looks the most comfortable, never bobbles. What was different they set the punt machine to rip off six straight punt so they only had second to filed each. then the had to catch six straight, keeping each one til they had all six in their hands. Calais was the only one who caught all six til he had them all without dropping any! Petty cool.

My rankings after watching these guys for 5 days, Calais, Heydal, Anderson, Akers.

Made my way over to the south stands, met VeteranRamFan and had our obligatory beer (Corona).

Special teams kickoff drill. Finally get to see some actual kickoffs and returns. Calais was first taking a Matt Gay kickoff, very nice fielding the ball then tucking it and taking off. Akers, Haydel, Anderson and funk all fielded kickoffs.

Calais looks ahead IMHO. Funk did a nice job at it too, showed off his speed. Other guys didn't really impress me.

VFR is all smiles, Aaron Donald waved at him.

LB's going through a drill bouncing a big green ball.

Noticed Terrell Lewis with a big knee-brace on his left knee. Brian Allen with one on his right knee.

Now all different position groups spread out over two fields. about 20 min of different drills
and being coached up. Waiting for 11 on 11.

11 on 11's. Same players starting for ones OL, with Brian Allen subbing in and getting snaps at C. Two same OL, Noteboom LT, shelton LG, Allen C, (though allen took snaps with the ones, Corbett never took snaps with the twos), Brewer RG, Demby and Anchrum took turns at RT.

Eric Banks, Gaines.Marquis Copeland, Michel Hocht, Earnie BrownIV all got 2nd team reps at DT.

Not going to list all the plays, just some that stood out. DeJax made a good rec from the slot going over the middle. they do this in real games, DJax is so fast and Stafford gets it out so quick I can;t see how to defend it.

Demby gets beat and Wolford has to duck out.

Stafford drops a dime to Bobby Woods.

Henderson several runs, two I saw up the middle, both left and right runs.

Funk in with the ones for several plays.

Stafford with a pass way over Henderson.

Jefferson with several targets, He had a very good day today.

Kupp as always makes it look easy catching everthing.

Jones several carries, nothing spectacular today.

Skowornik, Blanton with some nice catches.

Woods another nice catch.

Calais with 3 handoffs in a row with 2nd team.

Now running hurry up offense rushing to line to get 2nd play off quickly. they didm't look too good doing this. First time with hurry up so I'm not surprised it was sloppy.

Stafford hits his thumb on a helmet and he;s out. Not taking him to the locker room so maybe its not that bad.

Rams are screwed if Stafford is out for a long time. Wolford is OK, but nowhere near the calibur Stafford is.

My biggest takeaways from 5 days of practice in shorts and shells.

Stafford is VERY good. WR's are VERY good. WR room is loaded with talent.

Brycen Hopkins does not look to be trying too hard. He stand by himself on the sideline alot.

They started switching Demby and Anchrum at RT for the 2nd team.

Allen was taking snaps at C with the first team the last 2 practices.

DeSean Jackson is probably the fastest man on the team and is going to make a HUGE difference. He's all smiles and looks like he's having fun Jiving with ramsey and the D.

Woods, Kupp, Jefferson, both Jacksons all seem to have it dialed in with Stafford.

Calais is way ahead as return man.

Higbee looks to be in good form.

OK folks, finally pads tomorrow.

by Elvis
2 years 8 months ago
Administrator

Bubba Day 6:

Day 6, first practice in pads. Stafford looks to be OK. He's out there throwing the ball.

Whitworth and Terrell Lewis not suited up.

Will be a short report. Family demands for my time tonight.

Lots of special teams work today, Jerimiah Heydel, Landen Akers, Ray Calias, Jake Funk, Otis Anderson all fielded kickoffs and punts. New guy Bojorquez didn't impress, punting short and out of bounds. Hekker kicking deep with a spiral. Heydel and Calais leading IMHO.

I kept an eye on Brycyn Hopkins today. in 11 on 11's he was with the 2nd team and had two targets dropped one and Wolford threw one over his head. Did nothing to impress today. No plays with the first team.

Aleric Jackson at LT for 2nd team OL, T Anchrum at RT for 2nd team. Didn't see Jamal Demby at all today. NoteBoom at LT with ones. Jordan Merideth played some at LG with twos, Shelton at RG with twos Brewer at LG with Twos. Max Pircher got a couple snaps in at LG. allen got snaps in with 1st team.

Here's some notable plays from 11 on 11

DS Jax deep pas from Stafford for a TD
Kupp gets TD from Stafford
Higbee with lot of targets
Kupp with a TD,
Scott with a pick
Jones with a nice pass breakup
Jefferson with a great move to fake out Ramsey, Ramsey gets pissed. Jefferson really looking good all6 days.

Doing hurry up O. this session they did better than yesterday.

Matt Gay nailing long FG's.

Mixing up offensive and defense kicking lines with a lot of different people.

Corbett holding his own vs SJD, AShawn and Donald. ( of course AD is holding back)

Was nice to see Aleric Jackson at LT. He did well

Towards the end, they put Shelton in at Center and he botched all three snaps.

Koski had a good day even beating Ramsey for a nice play.

Harris got in and got a pass from Stafford.

Another very good practice. Stafford didn;t look his best. Overthrew several times, but mostly got the ball out just fine. thumb doesn;t look to be an issue.

My standout players for today Jefferson, Koski, Scott and big guy Aleric Jackson for holding up very well vs D 1st team.

OK. Will be at TC tomorrow.

• 2 / 2
20 posts Apr 19 2024