9 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by NJRAMFAN1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

Losing Akers is worse than we think if you consider that the offensive line is not our strongest position and Akers strength was breaking first contact tackles.

I don't think anyone we might pick up can match him in that area.

by aeneas1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

if you believe pro football focus it's the opposite, i.e. the rams saving grace is their strong run-blocking offensive line, especially when compared to their below average pass pro ability.

pff ranked the rams oline 3rd best overall for 2020, but their high run-blocking grades / rankings drove this almost entirely - whit was the only guy who graded well in pass pro, the other guys graded below average.

anyway, here's how pff graded the rams oline in run-blocking last season:

whitworth - 8th (out of 79 tackles)
havenstein - 9th (out of 79 tackles)

rams only team with both tackles in top 10.

blythe - 8th (out of 39 centers)
corbett - 12th (out of 80 guards)
edwards - 22nd (out of 80 guards)

by NJRAMFAN1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

aeneas1 wrote:if you believe pro football focus it's the opposite, i.e. the rams saving grace is their strong run-blocking offensive line, especially when compared to their below average pass pro ability.

pff ranked the rams oline 3rd best overall for 2020, but their high run-blocking grades / rankings drove this almost entirely - whit was the only guy who graded well in pass pro, the other guys graded below average.

anyway, here's how pff graded the rams oline in run-blocking last season:

whitworth - 8th (out of 79 tackles)

I would have to say Akers had a lot to do with the run blocking stats.
havenstein - 9th (out of 79 tackles)

rams only team with both tackles in top 10.

blythe - 8th (out of 39 centers)
corbett - 12th (out of 80 guards)
edwards - 22nd (out of 80 guards)

Not sure when we were considered a good run blocking unit but I would have to say Akers had a lot to do with the run blocking stats.

by /zn/
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:pff ranked the rams oline 3rd best overall for 2020)

Yep this is one of the times PFF revealed itself as questionable when it comes to OL rankings. There is no way that watching every single 2020 Rams game as an objective observer one would rank them 3rd overall. They were solid most of the year but had games where they were flat dominated.

I expect them to continue to be solid in 2020, and maybe even better than solid, largely because I have a feeling that Corbett will be a good center. My one question is Evans, and maybe he will step up. If he doesn't there are promising guys behind him. If AW can't play every game then Noteboom has already shown he is a decent stop-gap injury fill in (whether he is a franchise LOT worth a 2nd contract is a different issue).

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

They did look better in run support but they never impressed me as top 10%. Pass pro was ok at times and downright atrocious others..

by PARAM
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Without taking a survey, I'd think many Ram fans believe the week link was Blythe. And some of those same fans believe Goff was an issue too. I hope both are right. Then, even with Akers missing the offense should be formidable.

The knock on Henderson is he can't stay healthy, despite playing 15 games last year (2 more than Akers). That may or may not happen in 2021. One would think they will obtain a vet but who? And how much talent do they have with the 4 youngsters? Snead and McVay need to earn their money and keep their reps.

by aeneas1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

yards per carry by down:

01.png

by /zn/
2 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Without taking a survey, I'd think many Ram fans believe the week link was Blythe. And some of those same fans believe Goff was an issue too. I hope both are right. Then, even with Akers missing the offense should be formidable.

The knock on Henderson is he can't stay healthy, despite playing 15 games last year (2 more than Akers). That may or may not happen in 2021. One would think they will obtain a vet but who? And how much talent do they have with the 4 youngsters? Snead and McVay need to earn their money and keep their reps.

It's not a "knock" on Henderson but I think the most accurate description. He does not have the kinds of skills that made Akers a primary back. Akers special superpower was his short area instincts and lateral quickness. He could make something out of nothing. He was not as otherworldly electrifying as Faulk at that, obviously, but still he had that skill at a high level. Look at the 1st play in the highlight vid below.

Henderson does not have that. Henderson is an explosive, fast, one cut and go style back, low built and tough, with excellent contact balance. Akers has a lot of those skills (especially the contact balance, which they both have to an exceptional degree). Akers just has the elusiveness on top of it, which is one top reason why he was productive behind one of the (if not THE) worst OLs in college football.

Henderson is not consistent either. For various reasons, including injuries, he was very unproductive in 7 games last year.

Maybe this is proven wrong but I see Henderson as more of a complementary back and Akers as more of a primary back.

But Henderson will probably be part of a rotation.

by /zn/
2 years 8 months ago
Hall of Fame

• 1 / 1
9 posts Apr 16 2024