17 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by PARAM
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7229  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't really care where he's rated. That's 100% subjective. But, of course, fans gravitate to subjectivity if it bolsters their opinion. I only care how he plays in horns. He's thrown 1 less pass, as a Ram, than Nolan Cromwell and Jeff Wilkins and yet by years end, if he's healthy he will #16 or #17 on the Rams list, possibly #15 just ahead of James Harris. What he's done up to this point in time, is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

The lists are littered with guys who were "okay" with their original team and then thrived when they went elsewhere. Different players around them. Different coaches coaching them. Carson Palmer was "okay" with Cincinnati, seemed much better in Arizona. Ryan Tannehill was "okay" in Miami but he's raised his QB rating 23 points with Tennessee. Jim Plunkett sucked in New England and SF, then went 29-11 his first 4 years with the Raiders.

Stafford has been good with Detroit. Will he thrive with the Rams? Logical thought might point to "yes".......teaming a talented QB, who's had less than stellar results on his original team, with an offensive mastermind like McVay. Could see Stafford looking much, much better with the Rams than the Lions. What does that mean for his "ranking"?

Ryan Tannehill in Miami might have been rated below the top 25 NFL quarterbacks and top 10 in Tennessee. Jim Plunkett surely was ranked pretty low with New England and SF but 2 Superbowl Championships with Oakland ranks him up there with Elway, Staubach, Starr, Griese, Eli and Roethlisberger. Only 4 quarterbacks have more Superbowl wins than Plunkett (Brady, Bradshaw, Montana and Aikman).

It should be entertaining to see how Stafford fares with McVay.

by mike schad 1st rd
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   232  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Stafford is no worse than 8th.
Allen
L. Jackson
Watson
Mahomes
Rodgers
Brady
Wilson
I'll say are better

by Hacksaw
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   19554  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I'll reserve the right to rank until I've seen him play in our system..

by /zn/
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6174  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:I don't really care where he's rated. That's 100% subjective. But, of course, fans gravitate to subjectivity if it bolsters their opinion. I only care how he plays in horns. He's thrown 1 less pass, as a Ram, than Nolan Cromwell and Jeff Wilkins and yet by years end, if he's healthy he will #16 or #17 on the Rams list, possibly #15 just ahead of James Harris. What he's done up to this point in time, is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

The lists are littered with guys who were "okay" with their original team and then thrived when they went elsewhere. Different players around them. Different coaches coaching them. Carson Palmer was "okay" with Cincinnati, seemed much better in Arizona. Ryan Tannehill was "okay" in Miami but he's raised his QB rating 23 points with Tennessee. Jim Plunkett sucked in New England and SF, then went 29-11 his first 4 years with the Raiders.

Stafford has been good with Detroit. Will he thrive with the Rams? Logical thought might point to "yes".......teaming a talented QB, who's had less than stellar results on his original team, with an offensive mastermind like McVay. Could see Stafford looking much, much better with the Rams than the Lions. What does that mean for his "ranking"?

Ryan Tannehill in Miami might have been rated below the top 25 NFL quarterbacks and top 10 in Tennessee. Jim Plunkett surely was ranked pretty low with New England and SF but 2 Superbowl Championships with Oakland ranks him up there with Elway, Staubach, Starr, Griese, Eli and Roethlisberger. Only 4 quarterbacks have more Superbowl wins than Plunkett (Brady, Bradshaw, Montana and Aikman).

It should be entertaining to see how Stafford fares with McVay.

I mostly agree, and I know what you mean, but I wouldn't count Plunkett heavily on that list. He had to overcome a series of setbacks from injuries. He struggled with injuries and poor offensive line play for most of his time in New England. SF traded for a shadow of what he was when drafted--one beat up guy. In Oakland, he finally righted things, but was still injured a lot. To this day he complains about the effects of all his injuries including several concussions.

In terms of Stafford, I don't see it as just him getting a good offensive coach, which of course he is. I see the coach as also getting a veteran qb he can listen to....I think Stafford could help McVay too.

What Stafford also gains in LA that (for the most part) he didn't have in Detroit is a decent defense, a real running game, and the chance to play from behind far less a percentage of the time than he had to with the Lions.

In terms of ranking, I don't know really. I too have to see it. A probable or likely top 10?

by Hacksaw
2 weeks ago

I can't wait to see this play out.

by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   7229  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I wouldn't count Plunkett heavily on that list. He had to overcome a series of setbacks from injuries. He struggled with injuries and poor offensive line play for most of his time in New England. SF traded for a shadow of what he was when drafted--one beat up guy. In Oakland, he finally righted things, but was still injured a lot. To this day he complains about the effects of all his injuries including several concussions.

Sounds a little like Matt Stafford!!! Injuries but didn't miss a game with New England until year 5 (9 games) and only missed 2 games in 2 years with SF. Being the tough guy for a bad team.

Stafford's Injuries:

2009: Patella disclocation, AC joint/separated shoulder 2 times
2010: AC joint/separated shoulder 2 times
2011: pedal ankle sprain, finger fracture
2016: finger dislocation, torn ligaments
2019: tailbone fracture
2020: Finger injury

by Hacksaw
1 week ago

PARAM wrote:Stafford's Injuries:

2009: Patella disclocation, AC joint/separated shoulder 2 times
2010: AC joint/separated shoulder 2 times
2011: pedal ankle sprain, finger fracture
2016: finger dislocation, torn ligaments
2019: tailbone fracture
2020: Finger injury

Good thing he's playing behind our stout Oline now...🥴 :?

• 2 / 2
17 posts Aug 02 2021