68 posts
  • 7 / 7
 by /zn/
1 month ago
 Total posts:   6174  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I have no idea what virtue signaling is except that it's meant as a pejorative.

But i think there is a point here.

The NFL knows there are fans who will be turned off by this stuff. (For some reason our demographic here at RFU includes a lot of them.)

Whether it's leaning into gay pride, social justice, whatever it is that certainly alienates some fans, the NFL has decided it's worth it. Maybe they think those fans aren't going anywhere or that they're expendable but this is a business decision.

Hard to imagine owners like Jerry Jones or Stan Kroenke thinking about ways to change society with their franchises. The owners, as a group, think it's good business.

And i tend to agree but i'm not a fan who is put off by these things. If anything it adds to my experience as a fan. And i'm guessing i'm not alone...

Nope you're not alone.

by max
1 month ago
 Total posts:   4494  
United States of America   Fairfield County, CT
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:To me, virtue signaling is the public display or expression of righteous social viewpoints with little or no actual substance behind the display.

Really? I have not noticed people being turned off by this stuff. There are many, myself included, who think its mere pandering, but that doesn't equate to being "turned off by this stuff." Its not like anyone is going to watch less football because of these campaigns (at least, nobody I'm aware of has indicated they would react that way).

I think that, perhaps, you're misinterpreting the criticism. Speaking for myself, these things don't detract from my experience as a fan. They have no impact at all.

The NFL is a huge organization and, independent of its marketing and efforts to expand its audience, has an enormous capacity to do good in the world. I do think that there have been initiatives in which the NFL, its teams and players have taken action that has been truly charitable and impactful. A YouTube video with the tagline "Football is gay," in my opinion, does not qualify and is, as I define it, mere virtue signaling.

Totally onboard here.

But people have different world views. Ours apparently align. Yet, clearly different than others.

So I’ll keep watching and tolerate other viewpoints that I find illogical as long as they tolerate my “illogical” viewpoints. When that becomes a problem and I’m forced to either accept something that goes against my principles or abandon the NFL, I’ll leave quietly.

Thankfully, we’re not there yet.

by rams74
1 month ago
 Total posts:   1108  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

by AvengerRam
1 month ago
 Total posts:   6767  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida

rams74 wrote:I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

So you’re turned off by political catch phrases like “white privilege,” “critical race theory” and “assigned at birth.”

Good to know.

by /zn/
4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6174  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:I'm turned off by taking perfectly good English words, combining them together, and turning them into a political catch-phrase that means something else. To me, "virtue signaling" falls into that category.

It's usually just used to dismiss motives of those doing something the dismisser cannot abide usually for purely political reasons. It's just a more nasty but less substantive version of "I don't agree" or "my opinion differs." It can't be more than that, really, because it consists of "mind reading" ie ad hominem motives attacks.

by AvengerRam
4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6767  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida

/zn/ wrote:It's usually just used to dismiss motives of those doing something the dismisser cannot abide usually for purely political reasons. It's just a more nasty but less substantive version of "I don't agree" or "my opinion differs." It can't be more than that, really, because it consists of "mind reading" ie ad hominem motives attacks.

This concludes another episode of Captain Hypocrite in his never ending battle with his arch nemesis, The Strawman!

by St. Loser Fan
1 week ago
 Total posts:   7652  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

Not football, but you can see the effect.

by Jerseydevil
1 week ago
 Total posts:   12  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

If this makes him a better hockey player, then I'm happy for him.

• 7 / 7
68 posts Aug 02 2021