• 1 / 5
 by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

In no particular order...

1. "We can't afford to keep/sign him!"
To paraphrase the Bard, there are more ways to move cap dollars around than are dreamt of in the casual fan's philosophy. While cap money is, of course, finite, when it comes to an individual player that a team truly covets, far more often than not a team will find a way to fit the player under the cap. I recall many fans and pundits this year asserting that the Rams would not be able to keep Leonard Floyd... until they did.

2. "We drafted the wrong guy at that spot."
This statement does not, over time, always prove to be wrong. When made immediately after the draft, though, its usually a pretty sill statement. First, we don't know half of what teams' know about the prospects. We can only guess what medical reports, interviews (with the player and those who know him), and hours and hours of live observation/film review might have revealed. As fans, we can only guess, project and, of course, crow about it when the 5th round pick we said would be a star becomes a star!

3. "The league really screwed us on the schedule!"
I've read comments in the past suggesting that the league plays favorites when making the schedule. While there is, of course, a deliberate effort to place contenders and the more marketable teams in prime time/national TV spots, the suggestion that there is a deliberate effort to manipulate outcomes through scheduling decisions is a bit tin-foil-hatish in my mind. Its particularly silly when fans rail about relative strength of schedule figures at the time of the schedule release. First... within any division, the strength of schedule of non-divisional games is generally equal, with a slight stacking based upon where the team finished in the prior year. Second... a quality team last year may not be one this year, and vice versa. Is anyone that worried, for example, about the match-up with Green Bay this year if Aaron Rodgers is gone?

by RedAlice
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Lol. Eagles fans already complaint about #3 - Week 14 bye, no home division game until W15 and no SNF.

by snackdaddy
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Every loss is usually followed by "The refs screwed us!"

Edit: Now that I think about it. For every fan that says the refs screwed them, I've never seen the winning fans say the refs helped them win. :lol2:

by max
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Yup, most fans are negative worry warts. Thats why is good to have a few fans who perennially kiss the ass of the team FO. Need some semblance of balance.

by RedAlice
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Every loss is usually followed by "The refs screwed us!"

Edit: Now that I think about it. For every fan that says the refs screwed them, I've never seen the winning fans say the refs helped them win. :lol2:

In that case, its well we were owed some calls in our favor since we’ve had so many go against us.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Yup, most fans are negative worry warts. Thats why is good to have a few fans who perennially kiss the ass of the team FO. Need some semblance of balance.

Not sure who these ass-kissing fans are here at RFU. I don't think I've met any.

by max
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Not sure who these ass-kissing fans are here at RFU. I don't think I've met any.

They're out there. Probably lurking here at RFU. But you know who the type is. The guy who is crowing for weeks before the draft that he is all in on the Rams drafting OL, and then when the Rams don't take any OL, the guy starts bashing guys who criticize the Rams FO for not taking any OL.

You know, the FO kiss ass, or FOKA.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:They're out there. Probably lurking here at RFU. But you know who the type is. The guy who is crowing for weeks before the draft that he is all in on the Rams drafting OL, and then when the Rams don't take any OL, the guy starts bashing guys who criticize the Rams FO for not taking any OL.

You know, the FO kiss ass, or FOKA.

Nice attempt at gaslighting (or maybe you just don't read very carefully).

Let's review:
Before draft: I predicted the Rams would take 2 OL on Days 2-3 of the draft.

After draft: I stated that I was surprised, and am interesting in learning why the team saw things so differently from me (and many other fans/commentators). I also said (in a post a week after the draft in which I discussed the current state of the roster): "The OL is the big question mark.").

As for my "bashing"... I guess you are just overly sensitive. I have specifically stated "I have no beef with anyone who thinks that the Rams' reliance on the current players on their roster to man the OL will ultimately prove to be a mistake. It might be."

What I have done is criticize those who seem to resist the notion that the Rams' decision makers know things they don't. I also have criticized those who refuse to tell us how they will gauge (from an objective standpoint) whether the Rams' decisions regarding the OL are, in fact, a mistake.

Glad I could clear that all up for you, max. 8-)

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

THE REVIEWS FOR THE OPENING POST ARE IN:

From The Office Of The British Sovereign, Buckingham Palace, London, UK
"The Royal Family has read the OP......and we are NOT amused! I haven't witnessed that much pomposity since my Uncle, The Duke of Windsor, abdicated the Throne in 1936 to shack-up with that American slut Wallis Simpson!"

HRH Queen Elizabeth II

+++++++++++++++++++

From The Missionaries of Charity, Calcutta, India
"We find the OP very arrogant and divisive as it attempts to create a RFU Caste System, where the FEW of the enlightened & infallible Caste dictate their venomous view, to the hordes of the MANY 'just regular Rams fans' who are labelled as SILLY. Our founder, Mother Teresa worked her whole life against the Caste System, where the few were dictating to & attaching labels to the many. It is unfortunate to see the ugly face of the Castes re-appear!"

Cardinal Thomas D'Souza, Archbishop of Calcutta Diocese

++++++++++++++++++++++++

From The Holy Papal Sanctuary, Vatican City, Rome, Italy

"While the OP is not totally evil, it implies supreme knowledge and infallibility. Please be it known, that only I, The Holy Father, Archbiship Of Rome, possess infallibility, specifically Papal Infallibility, which was a Promise from Jesus to Peter, the First Pope, and is sacred and in our Scriptures. There is no room on this earth for mere mortal men to claim infallibility.....and those men need counselling first....and then possibly, after much penance.....possibly, forgiveness."

Pope Francis, Holy Roman Catholic Pope & Sovereign Of Vatican City

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Good thing I'm not beholden to any Monarchy or Clergy.

That said, the full Rotten Tomatoes score on the Opening Post is 89%, with a consensus review of "Though it addresses what some consider well-covered territory, its light-hearted insight makes for an enjoyable reading experience."

Siskel and Ebert give it two spectral thumbs-up.

• 1 / 5
43 posts Apr 19 2024