43 posts
  • 4 / 5
 by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:But we are silly when it comes down to it. I would think it's not all that normal to wait anxiously over 7 months for football season to begin. I also think it's not all that normal to reserve a day, feasting, drinking, yelling and screaming at the TV (or strangers, in person) for 3 and a half hours every Sunday. But I know it's not normal to do all that and then spend hours and endless hours debating other fans over all that time we spent. And I know, when I'm on my death bed, I won't say, "geez, I wished I would have spent just a couple more hours pissing and moaning about the Rams"!!! :D Silly might be an understatement!!

I totally relate to this. After a Rams loss, my wife will ask what all the yelling was about, and I find myself feeling pretty ridiculous trying to justify my animated response to a game played by kids half my age. It’s always a balance between the passion of sports fandom and real life. I try, and sometimes fail, to not let tail wag the dog, Thankfully, though, it’s a fairly harmless addiction, as addictions go.

by Hacksaw
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

We get carried away because we way care.
The limited number of contests per year puts a huge emphasis on winning every game. No Sundays off. That's what makes the NFL so appealing, especially when compared to the 100+ game sports leagues. Every game is an event and we all really care about the outcome.
Angst / excitement,, well I used to hang a speed bag in my back yard so my guests and I could blow off steam during games. lol
Good times !
Embrace the passion !

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:We get carried away because we way care.
The limited number of contests per year puts a huge emphasis on winning every game. No Sundays off. That's what makes the NFL so appealing, especially when compared to the 100+ game sports leagues. Every game is an event and we all really care about the outcome.
Angst / excitement,, well I used to hang a speed bag in my back yard so my guests and I could blow off steam during games. lol
Good times !
Embrace the passion !

Absolutely. But never add up how much you’ve spent on jerseys of now former Rams. :shock2:

(Anyone want to buy a Tavon Austin, Robert Quinn or Chris Long jersey? I’ll give you a good price!)

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I totally relate to this. After a Rams loss, my wife will ask what all the yelling was about, and I find myself feeling pretty ridiculous trying to justify my animated response to a game played by kids half my age. It’s always a balance between the passion of sports fandom and real life. I try, and sometimes fail, to not let tail wag the dog, Thankfully, though, it’s a fairly harmless addiction, as addictions go.

Sure, who doesn't love the addiction? But I can't bring myself to trudge around being upset or depressed after a loss. Life goes on. Fortunately, I haven't had to concern myself too much with that lately anyway. Do I get pissed when we turn the ball over or let the opponent score? Sure. Am I happy and giddy when we get beat? Not even close. But I've been following Rams football for about 55 years and I've learned to deal with it.....quickly. There's another game next week. There's another season next year. I think the thing that put me in a good place is watching the players after a game, win or lose, walking up to the opponent shaking hands, talking, even laughing and realizing, they get it. It's a game. A small part of life.

Am I heavily invested? Sure, probably more than most. Spent many thousands over the years. Tickets, travel, hotels, gear, memorabilia, liquor! But that was MY choice. Nobody forced me. And I like it that way. That signed Deacon Jones jersey (or Jack Youngblood, Tom Mack and Aaron Donald) look just as pretty no matter what happened on Sunday. The autographed pictures of Roman Gabriel, Jackie Slater, Tom Mack, Deacon or Eric Dickerson make me smile. Wearing the various Rams jerseys or jackets that I own make me proud. Hell, I even bought a pair Nike "team sneakers" last year. Snazzy blue and gold with the 2020 Ram on them!! :D I can't help it. I'm a proud Ram fan. Have been since I was a kid. Will be when I die. But I'm not going to let that be the source of pain and anger. That's not silly. That would be stupid (of me) IMHO. But to each his own.

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:We get carried away because we way care.
Angst / excitement,, well I used to hang a speed bag in my back yard my guests and I could blow off steam during games. lol
Good times !
Embrace the passion !

Absolutely!!! My kids, growing up....as young as 3 knew if you walked in front of the TV when Dad was watching football, you ducked so he didn't miss a thing!!!! From kickoff to final whistle, nothing....absolutely nothing is more important on the face of the earth. And maybe a few minutes afterwards. But then life continues. It's a distraction. A very enjoyable one. But if it consumes every waking second....determines your mood towards people around you.....eats you up inside.....well, lets just say, you need to find something else. I've read Superbowl Sunday is also the biggest day for domestic violence.

by Hacksaw
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

AvengerRam wrote:Absolutely. But never add up how much you’ve spent on jerseys of now former Rams. :shock2:

(Anyone want to buy a Tavon Austin, Robert Quinn or Chris Long jersey? I’ll give you a good price!)

Money well spent. I hog the closet though. I have a Quinn, but your Long could be in play..
Had a thought that for as long as I've been a fan, most of those retro jerseys weren't retro when I acquired them. lol

by snackdaddy
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

It used to bother me when the Rams lost. Now its not a big deal. After a loss I can sleep like a baby....Wake up every two hours and cry. :cry2: :lol2:

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

To those who may have had their feathers ruffled by this topic, I offer this, with help from/apologies to The Bard:

If this topic has offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That this is just a message board,
with comments sometimes untoward.
And this frivolous offseason theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Rams fans, do not reprehend:
If the team prevails, all will mend:
And, as I am an honest Av,
My apologies, you may have.
Now to 'scape Avenger's words,
you could always post at The Herd;
Else the Avenger, an ally call;
So, good day unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
As a winning season shall restore amends.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

MAY THINE HOLLOW CONTRITION BE FOREVER MARKED BY A PROTRUDING STICK! :shock2:

I do think that I will never see,
A more insincere apology!
In bastardized Shakespeare one can read,
The embittered thoughts of this Bad Seed.

He instructs me to go "post at The Herd"....
No "WE NOT ME!" thoughts from this blunt bird!
To this AvBard "Rams Fans UNITED" doth (in sooth) mean...
Agreeth with me NOW!....or depart from MY Scene!

Well this here Canuck ain't goin' no where!
Suck it up rude Lawyer! C'est la guerre!
And whilst thou barbed Olive Branch proved a hapless miss...
Me thinketh a good storage spot be thine own aft orifice! :x

CRW

Cheers to all, from sunny Vancouver. BC

by AvengerRam
2 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Oh, Canada
Your posts are long and bland,
Most points are lost
In linguistic poor command