127 posts
  • 6 / 13
 by /zn/
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6788  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:As much as anything, I just didn't see Goff getting fired up when we needed more juice from our O.

He was actually better known for remaining calm and focused in crunch time, and the offense gave him credit for that.

I like the story of the 2020 Tampa game. Rams couldn't run that game and the Tampa offense was answering scores against the Rams defense. Rams needed to throw to stay in the game and in fact threw it 51 times. Late in the game the Rams needed to score. They were tied with 3:53 to go in the 4th. Here's what was said about that drive, which provided the go-ahead score:

“I think it says what we expect it to,” McVay said, “that he’s a really good quarterback that just stays steady and neutral throughout the course of the game. I was very proud of Jared tonight. Not surprised, but very proud of him.”

Woods said that on the sideline before the Rams’ last drive, with the game tied at 24, players could feel the worried energy from the coaching staff about the big moment that approached, but Goff helped keep everyone cool.

“The whole offense was like, ‘Yeah, don’t let the coaches and the hype build (the moment) up,’” Woods joked. “‘This is a normal situation for us. This is a Thursday practice.’ That’s what we were saying in the huddle.”

That's a telling comment from Woods. Thursday practices include focus on the 2-minute drill. That is, no need to get excited, this is just like practicing a 2 minute drill. And he also says the offense remained calm and focused in spite of the coaches.

To be honest, I don't even know what "fired up" means. It has nothing to do with winning, is all I know.

by Hacksaw
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

That was certainly one of Goff's quality traits. One I did like, except when the O was flat or needed to score in a hurry.
Beside having a pretty ball when he could step into it, he is one cool (almost comatose) cat.

by PARAM
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12295  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:That was certainly one of Goff's quality traits. One I did like, except when the O was flat or needed to score in a hurry.
Beside having a pretty ball when he could step into it, he is one cool (almost comatose) cat.

I remember comparing him to Eli after his rookie year. Similar situation. Lo and behold he helped get the Rams to the Superbowl by year 3 (IIRC, Eli did it AND WON it in year 4). Similar dispositions too. Semi-comatose is fair. It's not a negative except when fans want to see a red faced maniac screaming at team mates.

by Hacksaw
2 years 10 months ago

PARAM wrote:Semi-comatose is fair. It's not a negative except when fans want to see a red faced maniac screaming at team mates.

I don't know if any of us want a 'red faced maniac' lol, or an abusive teammate. I was referring more to someone with properly measured urgency, but moreover one who can thrive in the big moment, to put his players on his back and lead them to victory. Jared seemed too mellow and a bit too confounded to thrive in those situations. My take on Stafford is that he can...

by /zn/
2 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:I don't know if any of us want a 'red faced maniac' lol, or an abusive teammate. I was referring more to someone with properly measured urgency, but moreover one who can thrive in the big moment, to put his players on his back and lead them to victory. Jared seemed too mellow and a bit too confounded to thrive in those situations. My take on Stafford is that he can...

Goff did win in those situations. A fair amount in fact. Across the last 3 years both qbs have relatively the same number of of 4q comebacks and game winning drives.

Stafford: from 2018, 7 comebacks/gwd
Goff, including post-season: from 2018, 8 comebacks/gwd

A qb less capable of that than Goff doesn't win in New Orleans in 2018. That was a cb win.

We had the discussion years ago about the value of qbs playing well in those situations. At the time of that discussion, young JG had not played enough yet to have that many cb/gwd games. As a result many argued (defensively, thinking that JG was being attacked) that that particular skill (cb/gwd) is useless because it's better to lead going into the 4th quarter. The counter-argument was that you sometimes play very good teams that can keep games close so you want to be able to thrive under those conditions.

Anyway yes both Goff and Stafford have that skill, though to be fair, with MS it was demonstrated in much more difficult circumstances. Plus Goff played in more games across that stretch. Still, bottomline is, they both have the cb gene. .

And of course it's good that MS has that gene, as he has often demonstrated over the years. It's an important thing IMO.

by Hacksaw
2 years 10 months ago

I don't know zn, I never thought of Goff as a comeback kid. New Orleans game was one (with the help of a ref), keeping up with Mahomes in that Thursday night ketchup and mustard thriller was another. I'd imagine there were more but last years Jets game keeps coming to mind. Sure everybody has some stinkers.
Goff just never appeared to me to be a comeback type. Helped to have the lead.

by rams74
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:Helped to have the lead.

Well, sure. Show me a quarterback who would rather play with a 4th quarter deficit than a lead.

Kurt Warner always preferred to have the lead, and during the GSOT, he usually did. But that didn't mean he couldn't come from behind.

by safer
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1279  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I think my "fired up" comment is taken a bit out of context. How about a lack of resolve. More energy as the game calls for it. I think of Peyton, Brees, Brady, Wilson--elite QB's whos show emotion and energy in close games. Stafford will bring that too. As for Wood's comments, would any receiver bad mouth the guy who throws him the ball? I think McVay grew tired of Goff's lack of energy and commitment in applying himself to ensure growth in his career. It's fair to say the McVay grew weary of trying to stop Jared from making so many mistakes and turnovers, to the point he stopped believing that he ever would. Jared didn't put in the time to learn how to read NFL D's more quickly, which led to many of his turnovers.
Guys, I was shocked when this trade went down and thought we paid too much. Now, I like it a lot. AND it would not surprise me to see Jared do well in Detroit because he may now have that chip on his shoulder that motivates him to excel. He's only 25 y/o, and talented.

by safer
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1279  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I think my "fired up" comment is taken a bit out of context. How about a lack of resolve and commitment. More energy as the game calls for it. I think of Peyton, Brees, Brady, Wilson, Warner--elite QB's who showed emotion and energy in close games. Stafford will bring that too. As for Wood's comments, would any receiver bad mouth the guy who throws him the ball? McVay grew tired of Goff's lack of applying himself to ensure growth in his career. It's fair to say the McVay grew weary of trying to stop Jared from making so many mistakes and turnovers, to the point he stopped believing that he ever would. Jared didn't put in the time to learn how to read NFL D's more quickly, which led to many of his turnovers.
Guys, I was shocked when this trade went down and thought we paid too much. Now, I like it a lot. AND it would not surprise me to see Jared do well in Detroit because he may now have that chip on his shoulder that motivates him to excel. He's only 25 y/o, and talented.

by /zn/
2 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:I think my "fired up" comment is taken a bit out of context. How about a lack of resolve and commitment. More energy as the game calls for it. I

Goff's turnovers came in spurts and didn't have anything to do with reading defenses or any of that. They happened in games where he would press to make plays when he shouldn't have--when he should have run instead (and slid when he ran), or should have thrown the ball away or just taken the sack. After his last big multiple turnover game in 2020 he had 6 games with a total of 3 INTs and in the process did things like come off the bench injured without having practiced with the 1s to play well against Seattle on the road. You don't do that if he's the guy you say he is.

• 6 / 13
127 posts May 18 2024