by max
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:so the middle of the line will be made up of:

left guard
24-year-old
season and a half worth of nfl starts under his belt (24)
two years of nfl experience

right guard
24-year-old
7 nfl starts under his belt
two years of nfl experience

center
26-year-old
season and a half worth of nfl starts under his belt (24)
three years of nfl experience

Its worse than that.

Corbett is an unknown at Center. Not sure if he was tried at Center in Cleveland, but if he was he flopped there.

Evans is a virtual unknown at RG, and the limited time we saw him there was unimpressive.

Only Edwards has some positive playing time at OG, but he's a far cry from Saffold, for sure.

This Rams regime doesn't instill a lot of confidence IMO after how they were so confident in Noteboom and Allen in 2019 and how that played out. I remember sitting down with VinnyB before the Panthers game and he told me that the Rams were sold on Noteboom and Allen based on how they looked in practices. He said he was skeptical though and that was the big question mark for the offense.

But hey, maybe they get it right this time. But I'm not confident at all. I still have reservations about drafting tiny players and passing on big bodies up front.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Its worse than that.

Corbett is an unknown at Center. Not sure if he was tried at Center in Cleveland, but if he was he flopped there.

Evans is a virtual unknown at RG, and the limited time we saw him there was unimpressive.

Only Edwards has some positive playing time at OG, but he's a far cry from Saffold, for sure.

This Rams regime doesn't instill a lot of confidence IMO after how they were so confident in Noteboom and Allen in 2019 and how that played out. I remember sitting down with VinnyB before the Panthers game and he told me that the Rams were sold on Noteboom and Allen based on how they looked in practices. He said he was skeptical though and that was the big question mark for the offense.

But hey, maybe they get it right this time. But I'm not confident at all. I still have reservations about drafting tiny players and passing on big bodies up front.

Interestingly, Corbett played LT in college. In Cleveland, he started only one game, so its tough to evaluate him from that period.

Not sure why you're drawing a comparison to Saffold at this point. He's been gone a while now.

At this point, we have three starters returning at their previous spots (Whit, Hav, Edwards) one starter moving to a new spot (Corbett) and one new starter (Evans). I don't think anyone is crying about the departure of Austin Blythe. So... has the OL gotten worse from a personnel standpoint? I don't see that. Can't yet say they've gotten better, but I don't see the changes as downgrades at this point.

by /zn/
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Not sure why you're drawing a comparison to Saffold at this point. He's been gone a while now.

His being gone is irrelevant to the point being made. Saffold is a the last Rams IOL who sets a standard for excellence. He's a measure.

Personally I don't need Edwards to be a Saffold. He's solid. He's equipped to play both a zone and a power/gap game. He was a nice draft pick--draft pubs before the 2017 season listed him as a potential 1st rounder and/or a top 50 college player. He fell in the draft because he played the season injured.

by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:His being gone is irrelevant to the point being made. Saffold is a the last Rams IOL who sets a standard for excellence. He's a measure.

Well, then... none of our current OL measure up to Orlando Pace, Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul, Tom Mack and Jackie Slater.
Personally I don't need Edwards to be a Saffold. He's solid. He's equipped to play both a zone and a power/gap game. We were lucky to get him--draft pubs before the 2017 season listed him as a potential 1st rounder and/or a top 50 college player. He fell because he played the season injured.

Agreed.

by max
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Interestingly, Corbett played LT in college. In Cleveland, he started only one game, so its tough to evaluate him from that period.

Not sure why you're drawing a comparison to Saffold at this point. He's been gone a while now.

At this point, we have three starters returning at their previous spots (Whit, Hav, Edwards) one starter moving to a new spot (Corbett) and one new starter (Evans). I don't think anyone is crying about the departure of Austin Blythe. So... has the OL gotten worse from a personnel standpoint? I don't see that. Can't yet say they've gotten better, but I don't see the changes as downgrades at this point.

The Saffold reference is about how this Rams regime views IOL. They had a high quality OG in Saffold but didn't view him as all that important to hold onto.

It seems to me that they take the approach of coaching up lesser talents rather than drafting top tier talents. For me, the biggest issue with that is they have stretched themselves very thin by not replenishing via the draft. And the guys they got behind the current mix and match starters are limited talent guys who have either shown nothing or have shown poorly.

Bottom line here hasn't changed. None of us know how this OL will perform this year. Some of us trust the Rams to field a good OL, others like me are more skeptical.

We've been through this a ton, nothing more to say until they get on the field or they make some upgrades before the season starts.

by /zn/
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6764  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The problems are in the future.

Whitworth - 41 in 2022 & then a FA in 2023
Edwards - UFA in 2023
Corbett - UFA in 2022
Evans - UFA in 2023
Hav - UFA in 2023

Noteboom - UFA in 2022
Brewer - ERFA in 2022
Anchrum - UFA in 2023

Actually that's not even completely accurate--I missed a couple of things. It's a bit worse. Here's Rodrigue on this:

from https://theathletic.com/2564788/2021/05 ... ed_article

The reality is — and prepare to clench up — adding along the offensive line was not a priority for the Rams in this draft … not even in preparation for a future in which three currently rostered players (Joe Noteboom, Corbett and Allen) are unrestricted free agents in 2022, Whitworth has an “out” in his contract after 2021 (he and Havenstein are free agents in 2023, as are Evans and Edwards — and those contracts could come due a year early depending on their playing time in 2021).

by Elvis
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38495  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

AvengerRam wrote:You guys are ridiculous. The you repeat, over and over, that you’re worried that the Rams made a mistake by focusing on areas rather than the OL, and suggest that their plan may be flawed, but when asked how we can gauge whether you’re correct, you have nothing to say (other than to whine about my challenging you to provide substance). Guess if the Rams do anything but win it all, you’ll claim you were right. :roll2:

If only.

Rams went 10-6 last year, won a playoff game and that was a screw up apparently.

by azramsfan93
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

max wrote:Its worse than that.

Why would you say he flopped in Cleveland? Show some evidence of that assertion. As I recall he did not get many opportunities....

So we should have drafted a rookie center? Any rookie is an unknown on how they will perform, and they have zero NFL experience.

I think Blythe was not good against a bull rush last year. IMHO Corbett can only help.

He is less of an unknown than any draft pick. Let's give him some time in the role and coach him up.

I don't agree he is a far cry from Saffold, so not for sure. More like "in your opinion". I think Edwards was quite good last year.

You have declared that Noteboom and Allen have "played out". Good to know. You may be right, you may not.

I know McVay isn't sleeping well knowing you lack confidence in him. :D :D

by max
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:Why would you say he flopped in Cleveland? Show some evidence of that assertion. As I recall he did not get many opportunities....

So we should have drafted a rookie center? Any rookie is an unknown on how they will perform, and they have zero NFL experience.

I think Blythe was not good against a bull rush last year. IMHO Corbett can only help.

He is less of an unknown than any draft pick. Let's give him some time in the role and coach him up.

I don't agree he is a far cry from Saffold, so not for sure. More like "in your opinion". I think Edwards was quite good last year.

You have declared that Noteboom and Allen have "played out". Good to know. You may be right, you may not.

I know McVay isn't sleeping well knowing you lack confidence in him. :D :D

Happy for you that you feel good about the OL.

But you’re arguments aren’t convincing to me. Wish they were.

by Flash
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1206  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:I don't find it concerning. Not for this season. The guy I have doubts about is Evans, but there is promising depth behind him. I assume Corbett will do at least okay at center. Both Edwards and Corbett have started a year already. Last year the OL was fairly solid most of the time though they did get dominated in a few games. They can be more consistent than that, which probably turns on who the ROG ends up being.

The problems are in the future.

Whitworth - 41 in 2022 & then a FA in 2023
Edwards - UFA in 2023
Corbett - UFA in 2022
Evans - UFA in 2023
Hav - UFA in 2023

Noteboom - UFA in 2022
Brewer - ERFA in 2022
Anchrum - UFA in 2023

I saw fairly unsolid for much of the year. Goff did not have much time to throw which is why we dumped him for a QB who could read defenses, get rid of the ball or scramble to gain yards or create extra time to throw.

I have concerns about Whitworth age and health, Edwards, Corbett & Evans lack of experience, Hav having a year like he had in 19. Noteboom has not shown anything noticeable and Brewer and Anchrun very unproven.

However I do that our brain trust are much smarter and experienced than me (in football matters) and hope they are correct in that we don't need to upgrade our OL because we got the QB who solves the OL issues. I said it before in another thread, If he isn't that guy we could be fucked for many seasons.

• 10 / 14
140 posts Apr 25 2024