17 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Elvis
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

BEN SKOWRONEK | Notre Dame 6027 | 220 lbs. | rSR. Fort Wayne, Ind. (Homestead) 6/27/1997 (age 23.84)

BACKGROUND: Bennett “Ben” Skowronek grew up in Fort Wayne and started playing youth football at nine years old, lining up at quarterback, running back and several other positions. He was a two-sport letterman at Homestead High School, playing wide receiver on offense and safety on defense. After spending his first year on the freshman team, Skowronek joined the varsity as a sophomore and earned First Team All-Conference honors three consecutive years. He finished his prep career with 133 catches for 2,181 yards and 26 touchdowns, adding 52 tackles and three interceptions on defense. As a senior, Skowronek was a captain and earned All-State honors, leading Homestead to the 2015 6A Sectional Championship. He played two seasons on the basketball team and helped Homestead to the 4A state championship as a junior (didn’t play as a senior). A three-star recruit out of high school, Skowronek was the No. 118 wide receiver in the class and the No. 11 recruit in the state of Indiana. He collected a dozen scholarship offers, including several from Power 5 programs including Boston College, Iowa and Northwestern. He chose the Wildcats partly because that is where his cousin (QB TJ Green) planned to play. After four seasons at Northwestern, Skowronek graduated with his degree in communications and transferred to Notre Dame for his final season of eligibility. His older brother (Matt) was a walk-on safety at Indiana (2013-14). His uncle (Trent Green) was an NFL quarterback for 16 seasons,
earning two Pro Bowl nods. Skowronek accepted his invitation to the 2021 Senior Bowl.

YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD NOTES
2016: (13/0) 8 70 8.8 0 Northwestern
2017: (13/13) 45 644 14.3 5 Northwestern; Led team in receiving
2018: (14/14) 45 562 12.5 3 Northwestern
2019: (3/3) 12 141 11.8 0 Northwestern; Team captain; Missed most of the season due to an ankle injury and redshirted
2020: (10/10) 29 439 15.1 5 Notre Dame; Rush TD; Missed two games due to injury; Led team in receiving TDs
Total: (53/40) 139 1,856 13.4 13

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE N/A (Combine canceled)
PRO DAY 6027 220 33 1/4 10 1/8 78 1/8 - - - - - - - 13 (no workout – right foot)

STRENGTHS: Big-bodied target with length…long-strider and carries his speed well…large, strong hands to snatch the ball and put it away (29 catches on 31 catchable targets in 2020)…excellent leaping skills and timing, making him one of the better high-pointing targets in this class…coordinated with his route movements, sinking his weight at the stem…plays with physicality within the route and won’t allow defenders to punk him…takes pride in the dirty work and loves to bounce cornerbacks around the field as a blocker…experienced on special teams coverages…offers versatility along the formation due to his size and blocking skills.

WEAKNESSES: Sluggish feet within his releases and routes…takes too long to gather and is inefficient in/out of breaks, struggling to maintain separation…physical vs. press, but has a tough time uncovering underneath…can be baited into extra contact with defenders…holds the ball too loose, leading to fumble opportunities for the defense…turns 24 years old before his first NFL training camp…durability is a red flag, suffering an ankle injury (September 2019) that required tightrope surgery and ended his 2019 season; missed the first two games of his senior season due to a hamstring strain (September 2020); suffered a jones fracture in his right foot during Senior Bowl practices (January 2021).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Notre Dame, Skowronek quickly found a role in offensive coordinator Tommy Rees’ scheme, lining up across the formation. A grad transfer from Northwestern, he was held back by injury and COVID, but his target share increased throughout the 2020 season, leading the Irish in touchdown grabs. When he creates separation, he struggles to keep it very long, but Skowronek has outstanding hand strength and highpointing skills to play through contact, especially in the red zone. As a blocker, he is an asset in the run game, mixing it up and washing defenders to spring chunk plays. Overall, Skowronek allows defensive backs to stay on top of him, but his catch radius and competitive chops will give him a chance at sticking on an NFL roster. He projects as a back-end receiver or tight end who will make an impact on special teams.

GRADE: 6th-7th Round

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Highly competitive pass catcher with great size and good route technique but missing suddenness and long speed as an outside target. While Skowronek can make a roster as a backup receiver due to his matchup potential and overall skill level, a switch to move tight end would diminish his weaknesses and enhance his strengths. He's a quick opener to eat up quick throws underneath, has the speed and athleticism to work the second level and occasionally get deep if teams aren't careful about how they match up with him. He needs more weight but is already a plus run blocker who can handle blocking duties from the slot. Skowronek could be the next Robert Tonyan if given a chance at that spot.

by JackPMiller
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

We are drafting guys that they know will be cut, and will not even be on the practice squad. Ridiculous.

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

JackPMiller wrote:We are drafting guys that they know will be cut, and will not even be on the practice squad. Ridiculous.

That seems a bit strong JPM. "They know......will not even be on the PS"?

by Elvis
2 years 11 months ago
Administrator

I can pretty much guarantee the Rams don't draft players that they know will be cut and not even be on the practice squad.

Feels like DeCamillis had input on some these picks and we're looking at a lot of turnover on special teams.

But, as always, we'll see...

by 69RamFan
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

PS player...

I just dont see him making the 53 man team.

by Oldschoolramfan
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   80  
United States of America   Mesa, AZ
Practice Squad

JackPMiller wrote:We are drafting guys that they know will be cut, and will not even be on the practice squad. Ridiculous.

Perfect example of why I don't bother posting. Are you really a fan?

by /zn/
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Jack, he's a special teams pick.

That's true of several picks this year.

Among other things they did in this draft was to upgrade the special teams.

by Elvis
2 years 11 months ago
Administrator

Rams WR Ben Skowronek – Media Availability – May 1, 2021

(On what the last 48 hours has been like)

“It’s been the craziest 48 hours of my life. You try to kind of get your mind off the draft. You have an idea where you’re going. You have no idea where you’re going to go. But it’s been great. I was blessed to be surrounded by my family and my close friends. So, just having a support staff around me was great, but it was definitely a stressful 48 hours. I’m just happy I was finally picked.”

(On if he had calls from other teams)

“Yeah, I had a handful of teams. A lot of zoom meetings, coaches, scouts, a lot of people calling, so I had no idea where I was going to go, but I knew a lot of teams were interested.”

(On what types of questions they asked him)

“There’s a lot of get to know you type questions. I transferred after my senior season for my fifth year. So, a lot of questions about the transfer. Then, just about my upbringing, my family, stuff like that. And then, we got into the football aspect of things and did some plays that type of stuff.”

(On what he spoke to the Rams about)

“Yeah, actually the Rams and I, we really didn’t have a lot of contact. I talked to them maybe once or twice, but that was it leading up to the draft. So, they were one of the teams that I didn’t have a ton of contact with, but during those calls, just me being the type of guy, whatever I’m asked to do, to do it, come in, compete on special teams and compete for a spot on offense as well. So, that’s what a lot of the talks with teams involved and with the Rams as well.”

(On how he describes his game as a receiver)

“Tough, physical and reliable. I love to get in there blocking. That’s my favorite thing to do on the football field is hitting people. Maybe I play the wrong position at receiver, but that’s what I love to do. I think I have some of the best hands coming out in this year’s draft. Strong hands, I catch everything and I’m also a high IQ player. I love the game of football. I study the game of football. I’ve been around the game of football growing up. So, I feel like I’m savvy in that way and just a high IQ type guy.”

(On the Rams liking receivers that block)

“I just got off the phone with the receiver coach (Wide Receivers Coach Eric Yarber) and that’s what we talked about a little bit. So, I can’t wait, I can’t wait to hit somebody. It’s been a while.”

(On his transfer from Northwestern to Notre Dame)

“Yeah, you know it was a tough decision obviously, leaving Northwestern after being a captain there but I got hurt the third game of my senior season and I was dead set on going to the NFL. I did redshirt on the front end of my career, so before that season I was dead set on going to the NFL. God had a different plan for me, I guess. I got hurt. Kind of took a step back from everything. I was involved helping the younger guys out, but it was the first time I took a step back and the coaches at Northwestern convinced me not to go to the NFL, to come back to college for another year and I talked with my family, I talked to the Northwestern staff and I just took a leap of faith. I really wanted just new scenery and a fresh start somewhere and just kind of prove myself all over again. I love to compete and when I went to Notre Dame, there was no promises. So, when I went there, it was so much fun to compete for a spot, meet new teammates and learn a new offense and all that. But it was definitely a tough situation. There’s no bad blood between Northwestern and I, I love all the guys there. (Northwestern Head Coach Pat Fitzgerald) Coach Fitz actually just text me after I got drafted, so those guys are family to me, but I felt like I had to do what was best for me.”

(On DL Earnest Brown IV)

“Yeah, (DL) Earnest (Brown IV) is a great kid. He has a strong personality. He was always dancing on the field, in the locker room, he’s obviously part of the guys in the locker room, but on the field, he’s a beast. I think that his best football is yet to come. He’s still kind of growing into his body a little bit. He’s just a natural freak athletically. So, I believe he’s going to be a great NFL player. He’s strong, he’s powerful and he loves the game of football. He’s going to work hard and he’s also just a great teammate, so I’m excited to be reunited with him and see him again. It’s been a while.”

(On earning a spot on the team)

“Yeah. I’m not sure what my role is going to be with the Rams, but I’m going to come in and compete and do whatever (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay asks me to do. Obviously, I don’t even know if I describe myself as a receiver. I did a lot of things at Notre Dame where I inserted and was blocking linebackers. I’ll play anything. At Northwestern, my senior year I had played some tight end in some packages, so anything the coaches ask me to do, I’m going to do it to the best of my ability and I just want to win football games. So, I’m excited to be on the Rams and I can’t wait to get started.”

• 1 / 2
17 posts Apr 15 2024