49 posts
  • 5 / 5
 by Elvis
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   29515  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Depending where you look, the Rams are the 3rd most likely team to win the SB next year according to the betting public. Vegas has our win total at 10.5

The skeptics are not yet carrying the day.

by max
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4456  
United States of America   Fairfield County, CT
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:Among whom? Fans on message boards and Twitter? Sportswriters who don't cover the Rams?

Look... I'm not saying the Rams made the right choices. I thought they should and would select OL in Rounds 2-4. The Rams saw their needs differently. I could adopt a skeptical viewpoint, but I'd rather just ask the question "what are the Rams seeing that I'm not?"

How about sportswriters who do cover the Rams? Listen to Rodrigue and Hammond for example.

And respectfully, we just take different viewpoints on these types of things.

And maybe win/win is a subconscious effect, dunno. But I do think it’s healthy to question what they do and be skeptical if you don’t see the logic.

by /zn/
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6047  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Depending where you look, the Rams are the 3rd most likely team to win the SB next year according to the betting public. Vegas has our win total at 10.5

Interesting point, though, only Rams fans know the Rams as well as we do, so being invested in the details is a Rams fan thing (like with the fans of every team). Vegas odds fit superficial views. They only tell us that Vegas is tilting the odds to lead people away from putting money on the Rams because the Rams are a popular choice to bet on. But then, most bettors who are not Rams fans are not discussing in detail how the Rams OL looks for 2022.

And besides, what is "skeptical" for the Rams? That they won't take the division but will be better than 10-6?

by AvengerRam
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6526  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida

max wrote:How about sportswriters who do cover the Rams? Listen to Rodrigue and Hammond for example.

Quote them.
And respectfully, we just take different viewpoints on these types of things.

Yes, we do. And that's fine.
And maybe win/win is a subconscious effect, dunno. But I do think it’s healthy to question what they do and be skeptical if you don’t see the logic.

To a degree. When I deal with someone with more expertise than I have, I start with the presumption that I'm probably the one who is wrong. That does not mean that the other person is necessarily right.

by Elvis
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   29515  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

We should probably throw Brewer into the mix too, McVay specifically mentioned him in his PC:

“(OL) Chandler Brewer was our draft pick this year opting back in. A guy that we have a lot of excitement about that can play inside and outside. Chandler Brewer was the guy we added to the mix that wasn’t with us last year. There you go.”

by /zn/
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6047  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:We should probably throw Brewer into the mix too, McVay specifically mentioned him in his PC:

“(OL) Chandler Brewer was our draft pick this year opting back in. A guy that we have a lot of excitement about that can play inside and outside. Chandler Brewer was the guy we added to the mix that wasn’t with us last year. There you go.”

On paper, Brewer has a lot of promise. I count Anchrum and Brewer as 2 of their more promising looking depth guys. I don't think it's far fetched to see possible future starters in both of them.

Right now the issues are center and LOT and then in 2022, assuming AW is not playing, depth at tackle.

Wondering who your LOT and center will be in the following year is not quite the same as worrying who your 4th receiver will be. You wanta screw up Stafford's situation with the Rams, nothing would accomplish it quite as effectively as making bad choices at LOT and center going forward.

We don't know if that will happen but it's not even the kind of thing you want to worry might happen.

by max
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4456  
United States of America   Fairfield County, CT
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:Quote them.

Yes, we do. And that's fine.

To a degree. When I deal with someone with more expertise than I have, I start with the presumption that I'm probably the one who is wrong. That does not mean that the other person is necessarily right.

Here’s Jourdan...

The reality is — and prepare to clench up — adding along the offensive line was not a priority for the Rams in this draft … not even in preparation for a future in which three currently rostered players (Joe Noteboom, Corbett and Allen) are unrestricted free agents in 2022, Whitworth has an “out” in his contract after 2021 (he and Havenstein are free agents in 2023, as are Evans and Edwards — and those contracts could come due a year early depending on their playing time in 2021).

It often takes linemen — particularly those outside of the first round, where the Rams will be picking into the foreseeable future — at least a year to really start to hit the NFL learning curve, both physically and mentally. Sure, the Rams will have limited roster space because of their returning linemen, and perhaps want to avoid trying to stash a guy on the practice squad — but not even one guy, one developmental project with starter promise? Those could have been had as deep as the fourth round, and now float on a UDFA and a prayer.

It’s surprising, considering all of the nuances and challenges of the position and the investment the team made into veteran quarterback Matthew Stafford — who was lauded for his toughness after too many hits in Detroit, but surely would hope to thrive in quieter West Coast waters?

The Rams had a poker table set up in the Malibu draft house, but I didn’t realize they’d gamble like this during the draft itself.

And that’s how I see it. Big gamble by the Rams not even taking a developmental OL.

by aeneas1
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   15985  
United States of America   Norcal
RFU Survivor Champ

Elvis wrote:Depending where you look, the Rams are the 3rd most likely team to win the SB next year according to the betting public. Vegas has our win total at 10.5

the rams go out and get what snead/mcvay and more than a few talking heads think is one of the top nfl qbs, while the niners have a question mark at qb that includes a rookie and an oft injured guy who the niners refuse to commit to - yet most book joints put the rams and niners sb chances at even, or very close to even... so what's vegas saying? that shanny is such a stud hc that it really doesn't matter who he has at qb? whatever the case, let's hope vegas is more accurate this year than in 2019 when they ranked the patriots as the only team with a better chance than the rams of winning the super bowl...

• 5 / 5
49 posts May 17 2021