31 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by AvengerRam
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

We draftniks try to apply a certain degree of logic. We consider the team’s needs, study prospect rankings, monitor team meetings with players, and consider past practices.

In the end, though, we’re just guessing.

Tutu Atwell is a prospect I liked from the onset of draft season (he was on my initial Watch List), but I did not have him going to the Rams on any of my mock drafts because I was certain the Rams would not take another WR on day 2, when Atwell was likely to be selected.

Ernest Jones was not even on my radar. Again, I didn’t expect the Rams to prioritize the position, as they have, in recent years obtained ILBs on Day 3 or through undrafted free agent signings.

I thought the Rams would prioritize CB and OL depth. Perhaps they still will in Round 4 but, at this moment, they seem to be indicating satisfaction with the guys they have.

So I, and many others, guessed wrong. Hopefully, the players chosen will make positive impacts. That’s what matters on the end.

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Good post.

But isn't that part of the allure to mock drafts and then watching the draft? The first round is so much easier to project than the rounds that follow. I enjoy it when they shock fans.

Yet still there are always those who are smarter than most who will rant and rave because certain guys aren't picked or certain positions aren't addressed.

by JovialJaghut
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38  
Germany   Wiesbaden, Germany
Undrafted Free Agent

Agree 100%. I was a bit shocked with the first two picks and, admittedly, slightly upset, only because they were so far from my original expectations. I can at least say that I find solace in the fact that this current regime has proven an ability to both acquire and develop talent. So, until proven otherwise, I am reluctantly and cautiously optimistic that these players are the perfect fit for our team and will make us better. Even though I REALLY wanted us to draft a center! :o

by snackdaddy
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Seems most fans felt center was the biggest need. Rams brass feel otherwise. Are they comfortable with what they have on the roster at the moment? Or do they have other plans?

I was surprised by the first pick. While part of me is excited over the prospect of a big play guy, another part of me can't help but remember Tavon Austin. At least it wasn't a trade up into the top ten of the first round.

We know McVay is much better at getting something out of these playmakers than Fisher ever was. If Atwell was on their board and none of ours, well, we aren't the ones getting paid to evaluate these guys. I'll have to defer to their knowledge over mine.

by snackdaddy
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

For those of us who thought Atwell was a reach, there are some who would disagree.

Tutu at 33 per Kiper to Jags
https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... -the-jags/

Tutu at 49 per Kiper to AZ
https://arizonasports.com/story/2616046 ... ound-mock/

Kiper 1st round #27 to Saints
https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/m ... f1fvh9sje6

McShay #38
https://www.si.com/college/louisville/f ... ft-roundup
[/quote]

by PARAM
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Seems most fans felt center was the biggest need. Rams brass feel otherwise. Are they comfortable with what they have on the roster at the moment? Or do they have other plans?

I was surprised by the first pick. While part of me is excited over the prospect of a big play guy, another part of me can't help but remember Tavon Austin. At least it wasn't a trade up into the top ten of the first round.

We know McVay is much better at getting something out of these playmakers than Fisher ever was. If Atwell was on their board and none of ours, well, we aren't the ones getting paid to evaluate these guys. I'll have to defer to their knowledge over mine.

The last 2 times Ram fans were in sync with management about "the position of need" to start the draft was 2016 (QB) and 2020 (RB). When they signed Desean Jackson, there were some who said "they could still get another (younger) speedster/deep threat in the draft". DJ is on a 1 year deal, hasn't played a lot the last 2 years, so even if he has a good season a deep threat would still be a need.

And even when fans are in sync with management on needs, rarely are they prioritized the same. Deep threat was a need. Center too. ILB. OT. CB. I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly the direction they go.....C, T, CB and probably DT or S.

by max
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

We don’t know what they think they need.

They clearly don’t think they need to add OL talent.

Guess we’ll find out if they’re right soon enough.

by Hacksaw
2 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The general consensus among us Rams fans and that of many pundits is/was that the Rams need more quality and size up front inside. So I'm not really sure what to make of this. The staff work directly with these current guys under contract and are in the business, so it seems safe to say they know more than we do. Also they may have a multi year plan which takes into consideration contracts and cap which affect their moves. And who knows what might happen with post draft trades. This Rams management seem to put a lot of stock in proven free agent talent..

by snackdaddy
2 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:We don’t know what they think they need.

They clearly don’t think they need to add OL talent.

Guess we’ll find out if they’re right soon enough.

Its also possible they do think they need OL talent but didn't think the draft offered immediate help there. By the time their turn comes up what's left might need a little time to catch up to the nuances of the NFL.

I have no problem with guys like Edwards, Corbett, Evans and Noteboom. Shelton and Anchrum have potential too. Drafting O-Line early and often would mean there isn't room for everyone. Maybe no one from second round on would be any better than those guys. I do have concerns about center though.

• 1 / 4
31 posts Apr 17 2024