67 posts
  • 1 / 7
 by JackPMiller
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... t-numbers/

NFL may allow defensive backs, linebackers, running backs to wear single-digit numbers
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 1, 2021, 10:01 AM EDT

The NFL is considering a rule that won’t necessarily change the game on the field, but will change the way the game looks, and a rule that players have long advocated for: Loosening the restrictions on jersey numbers, including allowing more players to wear single-digit numbers.

A proposal that owners will vote on at the upcoming league meeting would allow single-digit numbers to be worn by more players than just quarterbacks, kickers and punters, who are the only players currently allowed to wear single digits.

Under the proposal, defensive backs, linebackers, running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers would all be allowed to wear jerseys in the single digits. Defensive backs and linebackers could wear any number from 1 to 49, while running backs, fullbacks, tight ends, H-backs and wide receivers could all wear 1 to 49 and 80 to 89.

Quarterbacks, punters and kickers would still be required to wear numbers 1 to 19, linemen would still wear 50 to 79, and defensive linemen and linebackers could also wear 90 to 99.

One of the most visible differences between college and pro football is that college players have more jersey number options. Soon that difference may disappear.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Is this actually important to the players?

by JackPMiller
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:Is this actually important to the players?

Yes. Jalen Ramsey stated if this rule came into effect, he would change his number from 20 to 2 right away.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 weeks ago

JackPMiller wrote:Yes. Jalen Ramsey stated if this rule came into effect, he would change his number from 20 to 2 right away.

So I was talking with this hippy 'greeter' guy in Laguna. All he did was wave at tourists passing by in their cars. I asked him his name and he told me it was Number 1. He showed me his license and sure enough, it said Number 1. He went on to tell me his twin brothers name was Number 2. So of course I mentioned that with a TP shortage I'd prefer to be number 1 rather than number 2. True story.

by DirtyFacedKid
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 week ago

DirtyFacedKid wrote:True story for sure, Hacksaw:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-12-23-me-588-story.html

Wow, where did you find that article?

by Elvis
3 years 1 week ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Sounds like this number thing is gonna happen, from Peter King:

Numbers Game

A curious rules proposal by Kansas City—one I hear is likely to pass later this month when owners vote on 2021 rules changes—is actually a necessary one. You may have heard the NFL will consider a major change to the numbers players may wear. The Kansas City proposal would make these new number-ranges legal:

QB, punter, kicker: 1-19.
RB, TE, WR: 1-49, 80-89.
DB: 1-49.
LB: 1-59, 90-99.
OL: 50-79.
DL: 50-79, 90-99.

So, you ask: Why? Let me give you an example. Last year, when the practice squads expanded to 16 players per team, it put a crush on numbers, particularly for teams that have some retired numbers. Take Kansas City. The current numbering system allows for running backs and defensive backs to wear numbers 20 through 49. Tight ends and linebackers can use 40-49 as well as other numbers. So when defensive backs, running backs, tight ends and linebackers all can claim those 30 numbers, and team had (not including players on IR) 69 active and practice-squad players, there can be a run on 20 through 49.

Kansas City has three numbers (28, 33, 36) retired in that range, plus a fourth, Joe Delaney’s 37, that is not issued. (Delaney, a KC running back, drowned in 1983 trying to save three children in a Louisiana pond.) That leaves 26 numbers that can be issued between 20 and 49. A look at the Kansas City roster on Jan. 1, 2021 shows three players issued number 30 last season:

• Defensive back Alex Brown, who wore the number in camp before tearing his ACL and being sidelined for the year.

• Defensive back Deandre Baker, issued number 30 when he was signed to the practice squad Nov. 19. He played two late-season games.

• Running back Elijah McGuire, issued number 30 when he was signed to the practice squad Dec. 22. He was never activated.

The number changes could be maddening, but with the likelihood that the practice squad will be either 14 or 16 players in 2021, and with the retired numbers helping clogging up rosters league-wide (Chicago has 14, San Francisco 12, the Giants 11, Kansas City 10, Philly nine, the Rams and Colts eight), it’s a necessary adjustment.

• 1 / 7
67 posts Apr 19 2024