37 posts
  • 4 / 4
 by 69RamFan
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3176  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

HopHead Ram wrote:I agree with everything you said about his performance, unfortunately the Rams seem to have a different assessment of him. If he is soo bad, then why is he still with the team? That tells you everything you need to know especially in a year when we were so cash strapped that every penny counted. Even in that scenario, the Rams kept him. I honestly feel that he is being kept around because of his experience at the position and to be used as a center of last resort. His cost is such that the Rams can afford that luxury at least through camp.

EDIT: Here is another thing to think about, we are so happy that they let Blythe walk but he is basically costing the same as Allen and we have insofar kept Allen. I think we are all in agreement that Blythe was better than Allen. Why do the Rams value Allen more than Blythe?

For one they dont need to resign Allen and he could be used as a Camp body, then cut him and save his salary cap...
This is how I look at it,,
They kept him inactive the whole season,,,
behind Shelton in the depth chart...
If that doesn't say something,,,
Just like Blythe,,,, the RAMs didnt resign him,,
coming off a 3.9mil contract/yr, then KC pays him less than a mill with incentives...
That tells you,,, they let him walk,,,

Now unless they felt by keeping him inactive the whole year coming off injured knee..
But the kid was eager to play...
I would consider him being the same level as Blythe,,,
So he is the bench mark for other players to be better than him...

by majik
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1201  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

I don’t know about Reiter, if the Chiefs view Blythe as an upgrade, that gives me pause

by PARAM
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I think they think more of Allen than we do. Just like they thought more of Blythe than we did. Or maybe not. Perhaps they only signed Blythe last year in case Allen wasnt 100% healthy. He wasn't so Blythe had experience they desired. Money was tight last year too. This year, no go on Blythe, perhaps because they think more of Allen and that he may be healthy BUT they may still draft a C for the future....next year?

by /zn/
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

majik wrote:I don’t know about Reiter, if the Chiefs view Blythe as an upgrade, that gives me pause

The impression I am getting is that the Chiefs are going all low-budget on the OL. So it may not be that they view Blythe as an upgrade. It may just be that Blythe is an experienced center who was willing to sign for less than Reiter would.

by PARAM
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The impression I am getting is that the Chiefs are going all low-budget on the OL. So it may not be that they view Blythe as an upgrade. It may just be that Blythe is an experienced center who was willing to sign for less than Reiter would.

What?????? A team that's been to the Superbowl the last 2 years, winning once, is going "on the cheap" along the offensive line? The other positions costing too much money? 8-)

by Elvis
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Some thoughts from the Athletic Jourdan/Brugler on Oline:

https://theathletic.com/2492937/2021/04 ... ed_article

More importantly, could they then find a center/guard in the third or fourth round who has eventual starter potential?

The Athletic’s draft analyst, Dane Brugler, says “absolutely.”

“If you’re going to list the strongest position groups in this draft class, interior offensive line belongs in the top 5 (along with quarterback, tackle, wide receiver and cornerback),” Brugler said. “We could see two or three centers (Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey, Meinerz, Myers) drafted in the top 70 picks, but there will be options left in the third or fourth round if the Rams target that range.”

Among the possibilities in the third or fourth round offered by Brugler are Illinois’ Kendrick Green, Stanford’s Drew Dalman and Penn State’s Michael Menet.

Kendrick Green (6-4, 312)
“Green has outstanding movement skills and body control, and offers starting potential at all three interior spots,” said Brugler, who ranked Green fourth among 2021 center prospects. Green started for three seasons at Illinois, switching between guard and center and ultimately earning All-Big Ten honors.

“An intriguing athlete, Green plays with quick feet and reaction skills to reach, pull and stay in front of the play,” Brugler wrote in his rankings. “Although he can struggle to turn defenders or anchor versus bull rushers, he has strength in his hands, and his wrestling background shows on tape. Overall, Green won’t be an ideal fit for every scheme, but he has the movement skills, range and body control that are ideal for a zone-based offense, projecting as a potential starter at any of the three interior-line positions.”

Drew Dalman (6-2, 299)
“Dalman is a smooth mover, and teams love the way he consistently finishes,” Brugler said.

“As the son of a Super Bowl-winning lineman and accomplished offensive line coach, Dalman is well-schooled with his blocking techniques and competes with a quick processor. However, he lacks the high-end physical traits that most teams desire at the position. Overall, Dalman works hard to gain positioning and consistently finishes, but his average play strength and struggles to sustain will be more pronounced against NFL competition. He projects as a potential backup who could surprise if given the on-field opportunity.”

Dalman, a three-year starter while in college, ranks No. 8 on Brugler’s list of 2021 center prospects. His possible connection to Carberry, who will enter his first season with the Rams after formerly coaching offensive line at Stanford, can’t go overlooked here.

Michal Menet (6-3, 300)
Menet was a three-year starter while at Penn State who earned All-Big Ten honors in two of those years.

“Menet isn’t explosive, but he is well-schooled and has the point-of-attack strength required for trench work,” said Brugler, who ranked Menet fifth on his 2021 center prospects list.

“(He) is a smooth, technically sound blocker who sees things quickly and maintains balance at contact. He stays low to roll into blocks but lacks ideal length or leg drive to create substantial movement at the contact point. Overall, Menet lacks explosive or overwhelming traits, but he is well-schooled and has the functional strength and movements in space to be a rock-solid pro, projecting as a potential NFL starter.”

by 69RamFan
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   3176  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

As I stated in my other postings,,,

The RAMs better not F" this one up,,,

I could see them trading down a few spots to get an extra pick and still get one of those centers.

But they need to get one of those top three centers and stay away from Dickerson due to his past injuries....

• 4 / 4
37 posts Apr 19 2024