37 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by NJRAMFAN1
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   43  
United States of America   Jersey
Undrafted Free Agent

Center Austin Reiter, who started 32 games for the Chiefs the past three seasons, remains a free agent. The Chiefs, though, have found a new starting center with the same first name.

Kansas City agreed to terms on a one-year deal with center Austin Blythe, Nate Taylor of TheAthletic.com reports.

Blythe, 28, started 47 of a possible 48 games over the past three seasons with the Rams. He played center last season, starting all 16 games, and right guard in 2018-19.

The Colts made Blythe a seventh-round choice in 2016, and he played eight games with one start as a rookie. The Colts, though, waived him during the 2017 offseason, and Blythe signed with the Rams.

He spent the past four seasons with the Rams.

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7018  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Curious to see what the contract is worth. Another 1 year deal, so what......about 3 mil, 4?

by actionjack
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1646  
United States of America   Sactown
Pro Bowl

Looks like Rams gambled and LOST. Now we have nothing at center and the thought of starting a rookie is extremely concerning. I see the Rams picking someone off the scrap heap somewhere to be an interim starter. We need to buy a year to train a rookie.... this is not good

by Elvis
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   29214  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The Rams were obviously willing to lose him.

I'm assuming we have a plan...

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:The Rams were obviously willing to lose him.

I'm assuming we have a plan...

If they were "willing to lose him" (with which I agree), then they weren't that interested in signing him. So, yeah, they definitely have a different plan. May have decided early on he wasn't in the plan.

by HopHead Ram
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1407  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:If they were "willing to lose him" (with which I agree), then they weren't that interested in signing him. So, yeah, they definitely have a different plan. May have decided early on he wasn't in the plan.

Exactly. The fact that he was unsigned until today told us everything we needed to know about how the Rams viewed him. If they wanted or needed him, he would have been signed. I would expect Allen will get penciled in as the offseason starter but I think Corbett may slide over and be our week one starter. I just do not see a rookie starting week 1.

by actionjack
2 weeks ago
Pro Bowl

HopHead Ram wrote:Exactly. The fact that he was unsigned until today told us everything we needed to know about how the Rams viewed him. If they wanted or needed him, he would have been signed. I would expect Allen will get penciled in as the offseason starter but I think Corbett may slide over and be our week one starter. I just do not see a rookie starting week 1.

or the Rams tried to get a little to cute and didnt want to pay him more than they had too. Dont get me wrong, they obviously where willing to gamble. If Allen is in any conversation about center we are in big time trouble. He was bad before his injury....
New center and new QB is a bit concerning from a protections front.

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:If Allen is in any conversation about center we are in big time trouble. He was bad before his injury....

How so? What were his problems? Got beat way too often in pass pro? Didn't get to the second level on run plays? Blown up way too much? Couldn't anchor?

by 69RamFan
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1293  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Pro Bowl

Thank you KC... :D :D :D

Now lets draft a real power center at 57,,,,

I'll take any of these at 57 in this order, Humphrey, Myers, or Meinerz

by actionjack
2 weeks ago
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:How so? What were his problems? Got beat way too often in pass pro? Didn't get to the second level on run plays? Blown up way too much? Couldn't anchor?

The offensive line played terrible during the time Allen was the starter. I dont think he was able to make the calls as needed and got pushed around. Now add the fact he is coming off major knee surgery. A complete unknown at best.

Just not sure why the Rams tried to go cheap here, now every team knows the Rams will be drafting a center. It would have been perfect to have a rookie learn and possibly unseat Blythe midseason.. As Les himself stated recently it is a "big ask of a rookie to start at center, tough even for a veteran to start for the Rams".....

• 1 / 4
37 posts Apr 15 2021