29 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

What PA said.
I'm sure the brass didn't make an ultimatum, but if Stafford flops (which I highly doubt he will) it would be the cap hell and inability to maintain those winning seasons that could do them in. Not choosing Stafford primarily. And I'm a huge Stafford enthusiast.

by /zn/
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Goff is a good qb who had 4 bad games in 2020 (same as Stafford in his 5th year) and beyond that was solid. He can rebound from a year like this and do well. That depends on how much Detroit improves, but their GM looks like a good one, so I don't rule it out at all.

And IMO the fact that Goff can rebound should have nothing whatsoever to do with how Stafford should be judged. I may be a minority on that, which is fine. I just look at it with blinders on and say "Stafford is the Rams qb now...I look forward to seeing him play." Cause sooner or later he will be a good one in this offense.

So I don't think 2021 is necessarily this "now or never" year. Stafford could take off immediately, or maybe be slow about taking off--either way, this is a 3-4 year run (and maybe a 4-5 year run) and IMO it is bound to take off sooner or later.

They do have some issues aside from qb though. Receiver? Running game? OL? There signs all of those things could work but the running game is in new hands now, the OL is not a finished unit (and their LOT will not play for ever), and while the Rams receivers are all obviously good, they are not dynamic, game-dominating elite WRs.

But they can work on those things. It's not a rebuild right? (far from it 8-) ).

Anyway I expect having Stafford at qb will lead to good things sooner or later.

If Kroenke has them on a short leash, then he's a new Kroenke and not the patient, non-interfering owner we've known.

Just my 22 cents.

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:And IMO the fact that Goff can rebound should have nothing whatsoever to do with how Stafford should be judged. I may be a minority on that, which is fine. I just look at it with blinders on and say "Stafford is the Rams qb now...I look forward to seeing him play." Cause sooner or later he will be a good one in this offense.

So I don't think 2021 is necessarily this "now or never" year. Stafford could take off immediately, or maybe be slow about taking off--either way, this is a 3-4 year run (and maybe a 4-5 year run) and IMO it is bound to take off sooner or later.

If Kroenke has them on a short leash, then he's a new Kroenke and not the patient, non-interfering owner we've known

I don't believe anybody in this discussion is judging Stafford by Goff's performance in Detroit. I agree that's not connected. What will be judged is the trade, McVay and Snead. If Stafford plays well....and I believe he will.....it's a non issue, provided they also win in the postseason and take the Lombardi home.

I also don't believe it's necessarily a 3 - 4 year run. It could be if they extend Stafford. But when you make a trade like this.....unload your 26 year old first round pick QB (who cost you more than 2 first round picks to obtain) and two first round picks plus a third.....for an experienced, talented, better 32 year old QB......you should be expected to win the Lombardi. Soon. Particularly with a team that's been in the postseason 3 out of 4 years.

Where Goff's performance enters the equation is if Stafford doesn't play well (unlikely) or is injured and misses a lot of time AND Goff plays better in Detroit than he did in 2019 and 2020 in L.A.. Then, like it or not, fair or not, the wolves will be circling.

But no, I agree, going in...Goff's performance in Detroit has no bearing on how Stafford is evaluated.

It's simple really. Just win the Lombardi with the guy you gave away a lot of capital to get and nobody will be able to question a thing.

by sloramfan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

everyone knows i was a big goff guy, and i think he got shortchanged..

"it's all about stafford playing well, (likely)"... and goff playing like shit (most on here think likely)

will goff do ok with the lions?.. i could care less, i'm on the stafford bandwagon, however i don't wish ill on him, as long as he's not playing against the rams...

from what i've read the lions have a good center and decent WR's so to say he's gonna crash and burn might be a little premature...

anyways, i'm rooting for stafford, and like i said, not goff... but i think all of you goff haters will be watching the out of town (detroit) scoreboards to make sure mcvay and snead didn't fuck up.. i know you will ;)

i admit i will :o :shock2: ;)

go rams

slo

by Elvis
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I guess it's not for everyone but i like to keep track of ex rams, Everett, Dickerson, Vermeil, Warner, Gurley, Goff, you name it. I'll be paying at least some attention. And i might even try to draw a conclusion or two...

by /zn/
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

sloramfan wrote:and goff playing like shit (most on here think likely)
slo

Not most, I don't think. By which I mean, here. I don't sense that most here think he will play badly. (Maybe on another board or two.)

by sloramfan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

good call zack.. and you're right, most don't want goff to fail on this site...

i went back and re-read this thread, and was surprised and happy to see, as you said, most here are not in the "goff is going down in flames" mindset...

i guess my take is skewed by the other site i frequent.. and a chart i think i saw on this site, about next years improvement, where the rams were first and detroit was last.. that has to be a joke...(hopefully not for the rams)...

so thanks for calling me out, i deserved it.. this place always seems to be more grounded in reality compared to others...

and as always..

go rams

slo

by 69RamFan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I guess it's not for everyone but i like to keep track of ex rams, Everett, Dickerson, Vermeil, Warner, Gurley, Goff, you name it. I'll be paying at least some attention. And i might even try to draw a conclusion or two...

Same here,,,
I pull for ex players,
Just like Warner in AZ... was wishing he won that SB...
Once a RAM always a RAM...

by rams74
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

69RamFan wrote:Same here,,,
I pull for ex players,
Just like Warner in AZ... was wishing he won that SB...
Once a RAM always a RAM...

Right on, brother.

• 3 / 3
29 posts Apr 18 2024