24 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by HopHead Ram
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1320  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

So I keep having to defend the Rams on their tactic of dealing 1st round picks for proven veteran talent. The talking heads have truly convinced everybody that the only correct way to build a winner is through the draft and nothing carries more weight that the coveted first round pick. The higher the better right?

I think a lot of the Rams hate from these yahoos comes from the fact that they do not necessarily follow that formula. So lets look at far ends of both spectrums. The Pats and the Browns.

The Browns have had 7 1st rd draft picks in the last 5 drafts. They have had 2 #1 overall picks in that span and a #4. The record in that same time frame was 25-66. That also includes a 1 win season and a zero win season. Yet they "win" every offseason and draft with all the talking heads because they had so many first rounders.

Now lets look at the Patriots. The Patriots have had 3 first rounders in the last 5 years and have gone 57-23. Won the AFC East 4 times and went to the SB 3 times, winning 2 of them. Their highest first round draft pick was #23. Not a peep from the talking heads about their lack of 1st rounders because...you know Belichick and the fact that he has the hardware to back it up right?

And finally lets look at our Rams. A single first rounder in the last 5 years and we have gone 47-33. The last Fisher year brings us down a bit. We won 2 NFC West Titles and 1 super bowl appearance which as we all know was a loss. Talking heads lose their $hit because the Rams keep trading away 1st rounders ( and proving them wrong by the way be being successful)

So is drafting 1st rounders the only way to build a sustained successful team? Clearly not, It has to do with how you draft in day 2 and 3. The free agents you select and the coaching.
Because of that. As long as the Rams continue doing what they are doing. I'm happy sitting out day one of the draft.

by St. Loser Fan
4 days ago
 Total posts:   7024  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

I’m torn. How many first round picks have busted, not just for the Rams? Plus remind me what round Tom Brady was drafted.

Then again I don’t think the GSOT would have existed without first rounder Orlando Pace.

by snackdaddy
4 days ago
 Total posts:   7919  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Rams have had 4 winning seasons in a row. 3 playoff appearances and 3 playoff wins. A superbowl appearance. Most experts expect them to be contenders for the foreseeable future.

I remember before the 2018 season people were saying that the proverbial window would close in two years with that strategy. Yet, here we are thinking some really good things will be happening in McVay's 5th season. I don't think anyone can knock the strategy.

by JackPMiller
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1616  
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:I’m torn. How many first round picks have busted, not just for the Rams? Plus remind me what round Tom Brady was drafted.

Then again I don’t think the GSOT would have existed without first rounder Orlando Pace.

We drafted Torry Holt in the first round as well.

by HopHead Ram
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1320  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Yeah but without Marshal Faulk, The GSOT doesn't exist at all and he is the perfect example of bringing in that veteran piece outside of the draft

by HellRam
4 days ago
 Total posts:   375  
Starter

I don't think it's a black and white deal.

Without 1st rounders we don't have Donald, Gurley, Goff, ect. Plus you get the benefit of cheaper production. That said, if you have a team ready to compete the value of a impact player might be more valuable then a player drafted. If youre not in win now mode I'd imagine building through the draft is much more pragmatic then paying top dollar for players who won't put you over the top.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1519  
Pro Bowl

Listening to talking heads is basically listening to main stream media. Don't believe a word without some actual reporting.

That said, first round draft picks do make the draft a bit more interesting.

by PARAM
4 days ago
 Total posts:   6847  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Okay let's look at who the Rams got for their first round picks:

Goff
Watkins
Cook
Ramsey
Stafford

I would put those 5 up against any teams first rounders from 2016 - 2023. :D

It won't even be close. And if you find a team that's close, compare records :idea2: :idea2:

by CanuckRightWinger
4 days ago
 Total posts:   1775  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

Not to be a nitpick PA.....but Los Ramos didn't have a 2017 First Rounder to give Buffalo for Sammy Watkins so McSnead bundled our 2017 Second Rounder and CB EJ Gaines together....

for the Bills to return to us in trade Sammy Watkins and Buffalo's 2017 sixth Round Pick.

....and then IIRC, after the 1-Year Rental of Sammy Watkins, McSnead got a 2019 compensatory pick when KC overpaid for him in 2018. 8-)

by PARAM
4 days ago
 Total posts:   6847  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Not to be a nitpick PA.....but Los Ramos didn't have a 2017 First Rounder to give Buffalo for Sammy Watkins so McSnead bundled our 2017 Second Rounder and CB EJ Gaines together....

for the Bills to return to us in trade Sammy Watkins and Buffalo's 2017 sixth Round Pick.

....and then IIRC, after the 1-Year Rental of Sammy Watkins, McSnead got a 2019 compensatory pick when KC overpaid for him in 2018. 8-)

So who did they give up their first round picks to get?

2016 & 2017 Goff
2018 Cooks?
2019?
2020 and 2021 Ramsey
2022 and 2023 Stafford

Who did 2019 go for? FOWLER?

• 1 / 3
24 posts Feb 27 2021