10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by NJRAMFAN1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

Per Profootballtalk:

Lions wide receiver Marvin Jones is about to become a free agent, and he’s hoping for two things: To sign with a contender and to get paid what he’s worth.

Jones said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that a ring is a high priority.

“At this point in my career, that’s what I want,” Jones said of winning a Super Bowl, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

However, Jones clarified that he’s not just going to take a bargain-basement discount contract because a good team offers it to him.

“That is what I want, but at the same time, it’s not going to be — I’m not going to just straight sacrifice and not get what I’m worth just because I’ve put in my work to get where I’m at and it happened the first time and I did it, and I think I outplayed it the second time,” Jones said.

Jones was born and raised in Southern California and has said many times that he loves playing with Matthew Stafford. The Rams would be a logical choice for Jones for those reasons, and because they’re contenders in 2021, but given their salary cap situation, they may not be able to pay Jones the kind of contract he thinks he’s worth.

by snackdaddy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I always viewed that situation as the proverbial luxury we can't afford. I didn't expect him to give the Rams a discount. At least not enough to make him affordable.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

The only way I could see doing this is if the Rams are willing to trade a guy like Higbee and roll the dice with a rookie (or low priced veteran) at TE.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Yeah don't count on Jones. Nice to be a preferred destination again. I remember not so long ago, in the dark dreary confines of a dome some where in the snowy midwest when the Rams could attract a cold....

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago

AvengerRam wrote:The only way I could see doing this is if the Rams are willing to trade a guy like Higbee and roll the dice with a rookie (or low priced veteran) at TE.

Or roll with Mundt. Everett is likely gone too. Higbee seems to be ready to break out and I'd like to see how he does with Stafford .

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Or roll with Mundt. Everett is likely gone too. Higbee seems to be ready to break out and I'd like to see how he does with Stafford .

I'm not against keeping Higbee, but if it meant getting Jones then, yes... Mundt, second year player Brycen Hopkins, and maybe a rookie/vet.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago

AvengerRam wrote:I'm not against keeping Higbee, but if it meant getting Jones then, yes... Mundt, second year player Brycen Hopkins, and maybe a rookie/vet.

Jones wins a lot of 50-50 balls and has great hands. His familiarity with Stafford can't be understated. But is his top speed like Cooks, Hill, Diggs, Agholor? Can he get behind the D quick enough to make a defense honest and back off the line?
Higbee can block as well and depending on our Oline, that could be a needed plus..

by HopHead Ram
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

This is a good thing. Let him go chase his $. He has every right to do so. To get him, we would have had to make some other sacrifices else where and I think we have more pressing needs that the $$ should go to like OL help or a LB. I think Van is going to surprise with his ability to stretch the field. He is not a world class burner but I think he will be dangerous enough and will provide the needed dimension back into this offense.

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Jones wins a lot of 50-50 balls and has great hands. His familiarity with Stafford can't be understated. But is his top speed like Cooks, Hill, Diggs, Agholor? Can he get behind the D quick enough to make a defense honest and back off the line?
Higbee can block as well and depending on our Oline, that could be a needed plus..

Yeah, the Rams need to do work in other areas but if Jones was affordable, like McVay says, "you can't have too many weapons". There are a couple of free agent centers who might come cheaper than Jones. If so, I'd like the Rams to explore those options and given an "either/or", I'd prefer the FA center.

HopHead Ram wrote:This is a good thing. Let him go chase his $. He has every right to do so. To get him, we would have had to make some other sacrifices else where and I think we have more pressing needs that the $$ should go to like OL help or a LB. I think Van is going to surprise with his ability to stretch the field. He is not a world class burner but I think he will be dangerous enough and will provide the needed dimension back into this offense.

Experience matters but if we're looking for a deep threat with good hands, there are a few in the draft who will probably be available when we pick in the 3rd or later.

by HopHead Ram
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:Experience matters but if we're looking for a deep threat with good hands, there are a few in the draft who will probably be available when we pick in the 3rd or later.

The only thing wrong with that is the rookie speedster will not even see the field very much his rookie year or at least history has proven that with McVay and his offensive rookies. I think Van or Jackson gets first crack at that.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 24 2024