29 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by HopHead Ram
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Fair enough. I'll amend my previous thought. "Every move a quality team makes is to ultimately win a super bowl." I would include the Rams in that category 100%.

by NJRAMFAN1
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

Teams go "all in" on a rebuild too. T make the SB but 3 or more years down the road.

by 69RamFan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3172  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

HopHead Ram wrote:At the end of the day, every move that every team makes is to win a SB. To say Super Bowl or bust seems a little over dramatic. You can argue until you are blue in the face on if one team gave up too much on any transaction. You can look back on the history of a given player to try to speculate what future production will look like but that too is just a guess. How many times has a player come into the current Rams organization and done worse? Not too often. A lot of these guys wind up having career years. It is more common for our players to leave and then flame out. Stafford will keep us in the conversation for a Super Bowl at least for the next 2-3 years (if we decide to extend him a bit). That alone makes the trade worth it. We suffered for so many years as one of the worst teams, I'm loving the trajectory this team is on and as long as we continue to strive to always get better, no trade is truly a bust...and no talking head can convince me otherwise.

I kind of have to disagree,
Yes, every team strives to make the SB,,,
But every team knows not all will make it...

So you have teams either in a rebuilding mode or retooling for each season...
Then you do have ownerships that its just about making money whether win or lose...

Those that are in a rebuilding mode, they know they will not make it to the SB...

Why do you think Vegas have odds on who does and who doesn't have a chance?

Do you see Vegas giving equal odds to every team in the league,
because they all have goals of making the SB for each season? Nope they don't!!!!

So based on the MSM,,, with the Stafford vs Goff trade,,, that it was the one thing holding us back from the SB,,, was the QB... and obvious in what McVay felt too...

So now that McVay has his QB,,, based off the five step formula, its a SB or Bust IMO...

If the RAMs go 10 - 6 with Stafford,,,, or if not making the Playoffs.... was the trade worth it??? Nope not IMO...

By McVay/Snead making this trade, that's what they told the world,,, that this is about us making it to the SB,,,,,

Because Goff did bring this team to the playoffs, winning against the Hags in the playoffs with a broken thumb... then playing against GB and Goff playing good enough to win, but the defense didn't show up...

Personally I thought it was mostly the middle of the OL.....
and not saying that Goff couldn't of played better too...

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:Fair enough. I'll amend my previous thought. "Every move a quality team makes is to ultimately win a super bowl." I would include the Rams in that category 100%.

Yes, we passed the "let's make it to .500" approach 4 years ago. :D

I guess I'll have to admit error about my "in the old days" everybody was trying to build a perennial contender and currently that's harder to achieve. Not everybody then, nor everybody now has that aim, though most do. And it isn't any more difficult with free agency.....sometimes it's easier, finding an experienced competent vet to fill a hole. And the Rams with McVay are certainly trying to maintain a quality product in contention annually regardless of the inevitable turnover every season.

If you look at the guys we've lost since 2017.....Quinn, TruJo, Ogletree, Austin, Watkins, Suh, Cooks, Barron, Joyner, Gurley, Saffold, Talib, Peters, Littleton, Matthews, Fowler and Goff....possibly/probably joined by Johnson, Floyd, Hill and Reynolds.

(Note: We seem to lose more defensive than offensive players :idea2: .... I haven't checked but I wonder if we didn't lose more offensive than defensive players under Fisher)

by HopHead Ram
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

69RamFan wrote:I kind of have to disagree,
Yes, every team strives to make the SB,,,
But every team knows not all will make it...

So you have teams either in a rebuilding mode or retooling for each season...
Then you do have ownerships that its just about making money whether win or lose...

Those that are in a rebuilding mode, they know they will not make it to the SB...

Why do you think Vegas have odds on who does and who doesn't have a chance?

Do you see Vegas giving equal odds to every team in the league,
because they all have goals of making the SB for each season? Nope they don't!!!!

So based on the MSM,,, with the Stafford vs Goff trade,,, that it was the one thing holding us back from the SB,,, was the QB... and obvious in what McVay felt too...

So now that McVay has his QB,,, based off the five step formula, its a SB or Bust IMO...

If the RAMs go 10 - 6 with Stafford,,,, or if not making the Playoffs.... was the trade worth it??? Nope not IMO...

By McVay/Snead making this trade, that's what they told the world,,, that this is about us making it to the SB,,,,,

Because Goff did bring this team to the playoffs, winning against the Hags in the playoffs with a broken thumb... then playing against GB and Goff playing good enough to win, but the defense didn't show up...

Personally I thought it was mostly the middle of the OL.....
and not saying that Goff couldn't of played better too...

I just do not subscribe to dichotomous thinking on any subject. Leads to too many poor conclusions. I think there exists the possibility of a middle ground. Removing Goff and adding Stafford to the equation definitely changed the direction of this team. That is undeniable. What that direction ultimately becomes is part of the joy of being a fan right?

by 69RamFan
3 years 1 month ago
Superstar

HopHead Ram wrote:I just do not subscribe to dichotomous thinking on any subject. Leads to too many poor conclusions. I think there exists the possibility of a middle ground. Removing Goff and adding Stafford to the equation definitely changed the direction of this team. That is undeniable. What that direction ultimately becomes is part of the joy of being a fan right?

If the direction supersedes the prior season,,, then by all means, the joy will be there...
But if Stafford doesn't win his first playoff game or by chance doesnt make the playoffs... then by all means,,, thats a bust in my eyes... Cause the RAMs gave up two first round draft choice,,, because McVay/Snead felt that the QB is the only piece missing...

In my eyes, I felt it was more than that.... with Goff, he needs a strong middle of the OL...
In my eyes,,, that could of been fixed... and kept those draft choices for the future...

Now is Stafford better than Goff? I would say yes,,, but is he overwhelming better.. I dont see it... then you add Stafford's age vs Goff's age, and Stafford's history of injuries... especially his back....

Plus you have to take notice,,, Stafford had a pretty good OL in Detroit,,, especially up the middle... If the RAMs don't fix that, we are not going to the SB...

TB, GB and NO have a better OL and supporting cast around their QBs...
our OL is no where near as those teams in the NFC...

Please,,,, I hope you're not one of those that follow PFF and will state that the RAMs had the third best OL... if you fall for that, then I don't know what to tell you... I would be shocked if you did,,,,, :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:If the direction supersedes the prior season,,, then by all means, the joy will be there...
But if Stafford doesn't win his first playoff game or by chance doesnt make the playoffs... then by all means,,, thats a bust in my eyes... Cause the RAMs gave up two first round draft choice,,, because McVay/Snead felt that the QB is the only piece missing...

In my eyes, I felt it was more than that.... with Goff, he needs a strong middle of the OL...
In my eyes,,, that could of been fixed... and kept those draft choices for the future...

Now is Stafford better than Goff? I would say yes,,, but is he overwhelming better.. I dont see it... then you add Stafford's age vs Goff's age, and Stafford's history of injuries... especially his back....

Plus you have to take notice,,, Stafford had a pretty good OL in Detroit,,, especially up the middle... If the RAMs don't fix that, we are not going to the SB...

TB, GB and NO have a better OL and supporting cast around their QBs...
our OL is no where near as those teams in the NFC...

Please,,,, I hope you're not one of those that follow PFF and will state that the RAMs had the third best OL... if you fall for that, then I don't know what to tell you... I would be shocked if you did,,,,, :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

I won't consider it a bust if we lose a postseason game. So many other things could contribute to a bad result. If the defense plays good and the offense sucks, then yeah, I'll be pissed.

Most QBs have their performance stunted with a poor interior line. Most QBs have their height stunted with poor OTs. :D And this Kromer business has me worried about what that OL is going to look like......the same guys or some improvements.....a better OL coach or a drop off?

It's my opinion Stafford is the better QB. The difference may be greater because of both his talents AND experience. We're all amped over how the 2021 offense will improve but we'll know long before the postseason.

I disagree Green Bay, Tampa and New Orleans have a better surrounding cast than what Stafford will have with the same receivers, tight ends and RBs. Green Bay has Davante Adams, Tonyan and Aaron Jones. Or really just a star in Adams. Tampa has Evans, Godwin, Gronk and Jones. The Saints have Thomas and Kamara. What all three had over the Rams was QBs with much more than a decade of experience. Now we have Stafford. The Rams can stand pat with the offensive skills players and I'd match our O against any of them........IF WE FIX THE OL.

by 69RamFan
3 years 1 month ago
Superstar

PARAM wrote:I won't consider it a bust if we lose a postseason game. So many other things could contribute to a bad result. If the defense plays good and the offense sucks, then yeah, I'll be pissed.

Most QBs have their performance stunted with a poor interior line. Most QBs have their height stunted with poor OTs. :D And this Kromer business has me worried about what that OL is going to look like......the same guys or some improvements.....a better OL coach or a drop off?

It's my opinion Stafford is the better QB. The difference may be greater because of both his talents AND experience. We're all amped over how the 2021 offense will improve but we'll know long before the postseason.

I disagree Green Bay, Tampa and New Orleans have a better surrounding cast than what Stafford will have with the same receivers, tight ends and RBs. Green Bay has Davante Adams, Tonyan and Aaron Jones. Or really just a star in Adams. Tampa has Evans, Godwin, Gronk and Jones. The Saints have Thomas and Kamara. What all three had over the Rams was QBs with much more than a decade of experience. Now we have Stafford. The Rams can stand pat with the offensive skills players and I'd match our O against any of them........IF WE FIX THE OL.

That's my point,,, if we fix the middle of the OL....

As far as those teams with their skill players I've pointed out...
yes they are better... each of those teams have at least one, two or more in their OL and skill players that are or were pro bowlers....

Our skill players are good players,,, but they still are one step behind from being on the pro bowl level... and our OL,, the only player that comes close to being a pro bowler or was one, is Whit.....
I'm just talking on the offensive side of the ball only....

As far as Goff vs Stafford....
Goff has proven with a good OL he can win...
Even this year,,, he has beaten TB and Seattle twice, one with a broken thumb.....
Goff has proven he can win against great teams...
When the OL protects him especially in the middle.... he wins...
Because he can step up in the pocket...
But when the pocket gets pushed back against teams with strong DT, he has no where to go...

During Stafford playoff seasons, he had great skill players around him... but couldn't win a playoff game... especially the 2014 season, during that season, they had both an offense and defense...

And during Stafford's playoff season,,, he hasn't won against the good teams during the season...

Here is my worry,,, Stafford had the past three year, a good middle of an OL to protect him and a pretty good LT... If we don't fix our OL in the middle, that's where I feel the main problems are....

Am I pulling for Stafford,,, yes, he is a RAM now...
I'm just saying the way the RAMs are going about things, I didn't agree with their way of thinking...

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

I think we have to acknowledge, as some seem to indirectly point out, we have King Midas at head coach. No worries. OL, QB, RB, DC, ST, OL coach.... it doesn't matter who fills those slots. It's a minimum 10 wins and the postseason. And when it's not, it somebody else's fault. The system, playcalling, adjustments are always spot on.

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Or is he, , ,

?

• 2 / 3
29 posts Apr 19 2024