156 posts
  • 15 / 16
 by /zn/
1 day ago
 Total posts:   5966  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:So by this logic, keep Wade forever?

Obviously not...no.

But truth is I would rather have Wade for 4 years than a Staley rental then Morris. Just continuity. And--there is no real evidence that McVay's issue with Wade was age. And in fact there is no evidence age was an issue for Wade himself either.

The defense was better in 2020 than 2019 but at the same time--Wade never got a chance to design an entire defensive approach around having both Donald and Ramsey. So who knows, maybe in 2020 they're ranked 4th or 5th under Wade. It wouldn't be the first time with him.

by /zn/
1 day ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The Kromer thing isn't as puzzling as the Bones thing, to me. Somebody said the Rams wanted Bones back. This is a guy who survived Fisher's regime and did well for McVay up until that failed fake punt in 2019. .

I am not sure about the wanting Fassell back thing. I heard it too, but right now we're still light on evidence. In terms of the "miscommunication," do you really lose a respected coach because of one play? Especially one that turned out to be inconsequential (they won the game).

Kromer is strange no matter how you cut it.

So yes we can both (1) explain them all with info we have, and (2) admit that we don't know anything (which is a kind of contradictory combination)--but the total optic is strange anyway.

Doesn't mean it's an omen of doom. It might just be a mixed up period in a young coach's maturation process. Or maybe it's exactly what the people who downplay it say it is.

by HopHead Ram
1 day ago
 Total posts:   1313  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

McCarthy getting hired in Dallas had something to do with Bones' decision as well. He had been with the Rams org for a long time and I think he even said that it was just time for a change. I don't think it was an ill will decision just an opportunity to go coach in a new city and to face a new challenge.

by CanuckRightWinger
1 day ago
 Total posts:   1774  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

Summarizing my thoughts after getting the gist of PA's tome:

There seem to be 2 camps in the Kromer Is Terminated saga:

There is my camp, which is:
"Kromer is gonzo. Ding-dong the witch is dead. I wanted that guy gone LAST year dammit!" :idea2:

Then there is the PA, zn, et al camp:
"Something is afoot in RamsLand.
Look at all the Ram Coaches leaving!
McVay, the bastid even waited 5 weeks to fire Kromer!
Let's start a GoFundMe Page for Aaron Kromer and his family! Tithing is recommended." :lol2:

Guys want to call McVay "short-tempered" "micro-management savant" "heartless Machiavellian".....hey, if it floats your boat....go for it. :roll2:
And by all means, call me mean-spirited if it makes you feel better. :lol2:

To me, this "Delayed Timing Of Kromer's Demise Mystery" is a really really boring movie, okay.
I mean really! Was not McVay fairly fooking busy with:
His DC leaving and then finding a good replacement.
All those other Coaches leaving and replacing them.
Dumping his adequate starting QB for an outstanding QB (& having to pay for it :shock2: )
McVay even took some R&R with the fiancee down in Cabo......the lazy bum! :roll2:

....and, just speculation here (ME: sheesh, do we really need to declare that alot of our opinions are "speculation" these days???!!! :roll2: ) but IMHO maybe McVay WAS working on getting Callahan onto his 2021 Ram Coaching Staff, but his plan did not work, so he got the next-best-thing in Callahan Disciple, Kevin Carberry.
Who knows? :?2:
ME: Who cares? :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)

I opined that McVay was tired of the Demby, Allen et al KromerProjects. Hey, JMO.
I opined that Anchrum and Chandler Brewer have potential in my eyes. Again, JMO.

This FiveWeekKromerMystery = A NOTHINGBURGER! :idea2:

....and as for all the Ram changes for 2021 (including Kromer), like I wrote in another thread:

IF YOU ARE GONNA MAKE AN OMELET, THEN YOU GOTTA BREAK A FEW EGGS! :idea2:

Cheers from sunny and snow-free Vancouver BC!! 8-)

by HopHead Ram
1 day ago
Pro Bowl

Up until this point, McVay has been almost perfect in who he brings in and who he lets go. Moving on from Wade was the correct choice, Allowing the coaches that left to pursue their dreams was the right choice. The only blemish I see on his record is Bonamego and that was quickly remediated. I am in the let's wait and see on how all of these new hires fare in 2021. The one thing that I can almost guarantee is that there will be turnover again next year because apparently that is our norm. Coaches that underperform will be replaced if McVay holds true to his past behavior.

by /zn/
1 day ago
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:Coaches that underperform will be replaced if McVay holds true to his past behavior.

I think that THAT is a big assumption. So far his past behavior also might indicate he can sometimes be impulsive and impatient.

As I said, we're speculating. And REAL speculation considers all possibilities. IMO it doesn't start and end with "and let's just assume THIS guy is always right or always makes the best decision for the best reasons."

Me personally? I never assume that. Though if you were to ask me to grade him as a coach, he would get high marks for several important things.

by HopHead Ram
1 day ago
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:I think that THAT is a big assumption. So far his past behavior also might indicate he can sometimes be impulsive and impatient.

As I said, we're speculating. And REAL speculation considers all possibilities. IMO it doesn't start and end with "and let's just assume THIS guy is always right or always makes the best decision for the best reasons."

Me personally? I never assume that. Though if you were to ask me to grade him as a coach, he would get high marks for several important things.

I am only going on the small sample size that we have and drawing my conclusion from that. To this point in his tenure as our HC, he has made more right moves than bad. I am going to extrapolate that to this coming year and the changes he has made. Beyond that, we will have to see as more data comes. Maybe the next batch of hires go to $hit. I'll amend my bias at that time.

by PARAM
1 day ago
 Total posts:   6837  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Goodness man, this discussion has you all worked up!!! No need to bang your gavel as President of McVay Defense League and submit evidence there should be no questions!!! :D :arrow2: Or call in an Alan Dershowitz-type co-defense council, who will regale us with stories about a previous era, when it was actually against the law to question anybody who's made the playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons....and had a hotter girl friend than the QB!! :lol2: :arrow2: Or say things like "Kromer's Pet Projects", which IMHO is actually an affront to McVay AND Snead!!!

They drafted the guys or signed them. Or did they only have a say in the Whitworth acquisition and other successful OL acquisitions, while Kromer had the say on all the bums? We know Kromer was the reason they let Saffold go!!! The MDL has said as much!!! Many times!!! I'll bet if we really checked, we'd find at some point in his life, Kromer knew Adam Goldberg really well!! Why don't we go on and call Nsimba Webster and JoJo Natson, Bones' pet projects? We know Sam Sloman was Joe Bonemego's pet project. He convinced McVay and Snead to draft the kid!! Obviously, cause he sucked!!! As John Candy might say, if we were in Germany or the kid were any good, he'd be McVay's pick!!! I don't know for sure, but I bet last year you were calling Troy Reeder Joe Barry's pet project!!! :idea2: :D 8-) I know I didn't think he could play!!!

Seriously man, get a grip!! There are legit fans with legit questions over what went down. No need to dump a bucket of shit on the guys head as he walks out the door!! But speaking of "pet projects", you believe that Brewer and Anchrum have potential? :shock2: :arrow2: Based on what? The 4% of snaps Anchrum played in 1 game? Which equates to about 0.025% of all 2020 snaps. The 12% Brewer played in 1 game in 2019 before opting out for 2020? That's observant on a Matrix-type level!!! :idea2: But wait......aren't they also Kromer's boys or do you have knowledge he was totally against their acquisition? :D :?2: :shock2: Ahh, you like them because Kromer refused to play them!!!

All we're asking is WTF happened that took 5 weeks? Was he trying to get Callahan and settled for Callahan's mini-me? :?2: :D :arrow2: I admit, it worked out good with Fangio's mini-me!! :lol2: Was he waiting to hear from Cadbury or Carbury or whatever the hell his name is? (It doesn't matter, he's your new boy.....for now, just like Kevin O'Connell was going to be Kromer's boss!!! :lol2: 8-) ;) :roll2: ) Was there an argument? Over players? Over approach/philosophy? :arrow2: :arrow2: Inquiring minds want to know. It's the fucking off season. :idea2: Free agency hasn't even started and as far as the upcoming draft, we need binoculars!!! :?

Whew!!! It's the off season. Lighten up Francis!! ;) In McVay we trust......as long as he gets us a Lombardi!!!!

by PARAM
1 day ago
 Total posts:   6837  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:Coaches that underperform will be replaced if McVay holds true to his past behavior.

And coaches that perform well will be hired away!!!

BTW, I wouldn't call the Bonemengo correction quick!! What would have been quick is if he was fired after the Jets blocked that punt in week 15. Immediately. At halftime!!

• 15 / 16
156 posts Feb 25 2021