15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by NJRAMFAN1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

Per Profootball Talk:

After the Lions agreed to trade Matthew Stafford to the Rams for Jared Goff and three draft picks, Stafford reached out to Goff to wish him well in Detroit.

Stafford told Mitch Albom that he thinks highly of Goff and hopes he’ll have success in Detroit.

“I shot him a text. We texted a little bit. Just told him that I know going out there I’ve got big shoes to fill,” Stafford said. “It’s not lost on me that he was in the Super Bowl just a few years ago. He’s a really good player in his own right. I just wanted to let him know that I appreciate him as a player and obviously, to reach out to me if there was anything he needed when it comes to Detroit, just as far as advice or places to stay, anything. I know that he feels that he can reach out to me, and I know I can reach out to him with anything in L.A. too. So it’s been good.”

Stafford will officially become a Ram, and Goff will officially become a Lion, when the new league year starts on March 17.

I am all in on the trade but for me this is just icing on the cake.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

By all accounts, Stafford is a good guy who really embraces his community. Definitely a plus.

by max
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:By all accounts, Stafford is a good guy who really embraces his community. Definitely a plus.

Thats all good, but the concern that sticks with me is what I remember watching him in his playoff games.

The game I remember is the wild card game against Dallas in 2014 season. Now, I've got to go back and watch again, but the way I remember it was when he needed to make a play with a big game on the line, he looked very shaky, he fumbled twice on the last drive after Dallas took the lead late in the game. I remember discussing it with my brother while we were watching the game, and we said the same thing, Stafford doesn't have it when he needs it a big game.

It would be great if A1 could put the last couple of minutes of the Detroit Dallas playoff game up for everyone to see Stafford with about 2.5 minutes left and down by 4 points.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Thats all good, but the concern that sticks with me is what I remember watching him in his playoff games.

The game I remember is the wild card game against Dallas in 2014 season. Now, I've got to go back and watch again, but the way I remember it was when he needed to make a play with a big game on the line, he looked very shaky, he fumbled twice on the last drive after Dallas took the lead late in the game. I remember discussing it with my brother while we were watching the game, and we said the same thing, Stafford doesn't have it when he needs it a big game.

It would be great if A1 could put the last couple of minutes of the Detroit Dallas playoff game up for everyone to see Stafford with about 2.5 minutes left and down by 4 points.

So your response to NJ's thread about Stafford's character is to bring up his performance in a playoff game 7 years ago?

You know you can start your own thread, right?

by max
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:So your response to NJ's thread about Stafford's character is to bring up his performance in a playoff game 7 years ago?

You know you can start your own thread, right?

Hey, I’m old and tired today. I’m just rambling. Plus, I’m afraid to start a new thread. It gets moves and then I can’t find it.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Hey, I’m old and tired today. I’m just rambling. Plus, I’m afraid to start a new thread. It gets moves and then I can’t find it.

I wouldn't have said anything but you did the same thing on my Seahawks thread recently, responding with a comment about the 49ers getting Watson.

Stay on target, Gold Leader.

Getting back on topic, here are some interesting quotes from Frank Ragnow, Stafford's center in Detroit:
“Matthew Stafford, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top my favorite teammate ever,” Ragnow saids. “Toughness, passion, competitiveness, everything. I can’t say enough about the guy, and I’m excited to see what he does in Los Angeles.”

On the field, Ragnow was in awe with Stafford’s intelligence. Though Ragnow was responsible for protection calls on offense, sometimes he could sense Stafford was just waiting for Ragnow to call the protection he already wanted.

“He’s a savant when it comes to reading defenses,” Ragnow said. “Blows my mind. It got to a point, so I would make a lot of the protection calls, but he would know. He would know a call he wants to do and he would switch it—he obviously had last say—but I would make the switch and he would be like, ‘There we go, buddy. I was waiting on you.’”

And off the field, Stafford was just the guy you could have a beer with. There was no entitlement. No smugness or arrogance.

“He is a dude. He’s the ultimate dude’s dude. I just can’t say enough about the guy. He’s so cooler-than-life. Maybe that’s because I’m so much younger and I grew up watching him, but I just look at him like a superhero.”

by NJRAMFAN1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   146  
United States of America   Jersey
Practice Squad

“Matthew Stafford, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top my favorite teammate ever,” Ragnow saids. “Toughness, passion, competitiveness, everything. I can’t say enough about the guy, and I’m excited to see what he does in Los Angeles.”

On the field, Ragnow was in awe with Stafford’s intelligence. Though Ragnow was responsible for protection calls on offense, sometimes he could sense Stafford was just waiting for Ragnow to call the protection he already wanted.

“He’s a savant when it comes to reading defenses,” Ragnow said. “Blows my mind. It got to a point, so I would make a lot of the protection calls, but he would know. He would know a call he wants to do and he would switch it—he obviously had last say—but I would make the switch and he would be like, ‘There we go, buddy. I was waiting on you.’”

And off the field, Stafford was just the guy you could have a beer with. There was no entitlement. No smugness or arrogance.

“He is a dude. He’s the ultimate dude’s dude. I just can’t say enough about the guy. He’s so cooler-than-life. Maybe that’s because I’m so much younger and I grew up watching him, but I just look at him like a superhero.”

Man what is Ragnow's contract status? Bring him over at a discount to play with his best bud. :D

by HopHead Ram
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

I wouldn't take a lot of stock into somebody's performance in a single post season game from 7 years ago. I only care about how he does in his next playoff game.

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

max wrote:Plus, I’m afraid to start a new thread. It gets moves and then I can’t find it.

That's an old excuse max. As you've been told before....3 clicks...

1. Click on your profile
2. Click on search posts
3. Click on the post

It'll be faster than it took me to type that (60 seconds)

E
A
S
Y

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:I wouldn't take a lot of stock into somebody's performance in a single post season game from 7 years ago. I only care about how he does in his next playoff game.

Nor would any reasonable fan. Russell Wilson was awesome 7 years ago in the postseason...hasn't won a Superbowl since.

I'm amped to see what Stafford can do in a well designed offense.....with a good run game.

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 25 2024