15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I think most fans are team first fans, though they identify with players also. Of the players, it might be many fans identify with the quarterback. But when Ram fans look back on history, their favorite quarterbacks might not necessarily have the longest tenure. Warner was only the 'main' QB for 3 seasons. The top QBs were Gabriel (8), Everett (8), Bulger (7), Van Brocklin (7) and 6 tied with 4, Warner not being one of them. My favorite was Gabriel probably because he was the QB when I became a Ram fan. But Ferragamo, Everett, Warner, Bulger and Goff were a close 2nd.

Well the same thing occurs with head coaches, though I think fan favorite and longevity are more closely tied in that case. Robinson (9), Knox (8, though in two tours), Martz (6), and 4 tied with 5 (Gillman, Allen, Malavasi and Fisher). So my question is "how long will McVay be the Rams head coach"? I'm sure once we won the SB in 1999, many thought Vermeil would be the Rams head coach for a while. I think we all thought Martz , with his GSOT offense would be around longer than he lasted. I'm sure many wanted Allen around longer but he was a rebel and having been fired and then immediately rehired, we knew he wouldn't last. Robinson was probably a Rams head coach longer than he should have been. My favorite was Vermeil for obvious reasons, plus I couldn't help but like him when he was the local team's head coach. But Martz became a close 2nd with that offense and now McVay is giving him a run for my money.

So in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately/not-for-long league where success is so fleeting and failure so sudden, what's the over/under for McVay? I'd like to see him last a decade or more but that's probably going to be harder than we imagine. What do you think?

by snackdaddy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Stan Kroenke is normally more patient than most owners. He doesn't knee jerk react to a bad season. George Karl lasted a long time with with Stan's Nuggets in Denver. Even though almost every year they got knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. Fisher never had a winning season and lasted almost 5 years. I gotta think it will take more than a bad year to lose McVay. He's 4 years in and the team is still looking like a legit playoff contender. I wouldn't be surprised to see him last longer than Robinson's 9 years.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2083  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I expect McVay to be the Rams coach for ten years plus.

by sloramfan
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

i hope mcvay is the rams coach for 10 years plus...

go rams

slo

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dude's not going anywhere. And who would want him too...?

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Dude's not going anywhere. And who would want him too...?

Nobody wants him to go anywhere but we gotta be grounded in reality. Longevity at the head coaching position is a rarity in the NFL. Five guys in double digits?

Belichick in New England for what will be his 22nd year in 2021.
Tomlin in Pittsburgh for what will be his 15th year
Payton in New Orleans starting his 15th year
John Harbaugh his 14th in Baltimore
Pete Carroll starting his 12th in Seattle
Andy Reid his 9th with Kansas City
Mike Zimmer his 8th in Minnesota (gotta believe that trajectory ain't good at the moment)
McVay, Shanahan and McDermott their 5th.......

5 guys in double digits and McVay is already the 8th (tied) highest tenured head coach with the same team? Just saying..... if he lasts 10 years with the Rams, he will be one of the few exceptions in the NFL. I gotta admit, once you get to "that level" you've established a level of stability AND success. If he's still here in year 10, as fans, we will have had a pretty good experience over that period. :idea2:

by TomSlick
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

I see McVay being here for just about as long as he wants to...McVay righted a ship that had hit an iceberg a decade and a half earlier. Stan and the fan base witnessed some alleged "pro" football for years, toss out GSOT, and you have to go back to 1989 to watch something of quality. 4 winning seasons, 3 playoff years, 1 Super Bowl appearance far outweighs the garbage this franchise had become.

The RAMS are now living in the neighborhood of top tier franchises who must be taken seriously. The guy lives for football, hard to see him becoming some schlub down the road.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

TomSlick wrote:I see McVay being here for just about as long as he wants to...McVay righted a ship that had hit an iceberg a decade and a half earlier.

The RAMS are now living in the neighborhood of top tier franchises who must be taken seriously. The guy lives for football, hard to see him becoming some schlub down the road.

This. ^^^^^^^^

by HopHead Ram
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Kroenke talks about the Pats org as a model. Pats kept stability in the FO and HC. McVay and this current FO have been to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years with a super bowl appearance. With the offseason moves made so far this offseason, they are a projected contender for NFC to make it to the SuperBowl. I'm thinking Kroenke is happy with the team, now if he can only gets some cheeks in seats, all will be well (easier said than done with our piece of shit Governor at the helm)

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:Kroenke talks about the Pats org as a model. Pats kept stability in the FO and HC. McVay and this current FO have been to the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years with a super bowl appearance. With the offseason moves made so far this offseason, they are a projected contender for NFC to make it to the SuperBowl. I'm thinking Kroenke is happy with the team, now if he can only gets some cheeks in seats, all will be well (easier said than done with our piece of shit Governor at the helm)

Winning the Superbowl is the ultimate goal. And you don't usually get fired for losing the Superbowl......right away. So forget about the last 3 Superbowls (Reid, Shanahan, McVay). Of the 10 teams who've lost the Superbowl prior to 2018, 6 don't have the coaches who got them there anymore. The exceptions? Belichick (twice), Carroll and Tomlin. 3 guys who always have their team in the running. So maybe McVay doesn't have to win it, he's just got to keep them "in it" and perhaps make it back a time or two. But you gotta believe if he does that, he will win it eventually. Just avoid those "bad years".

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 24 2024