59 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by PARAM
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6847  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

We know of his physical talents. We know of his mental toughness. We know he's never had a very good chance at a Superbowl. And we know he's joining a strong team with an offensive minded head coach. It's a fair assumption that very few QBs enter the NFL and become superstars immediately, at least in actual production. Most #1's come in as hyped superstars. Lately it's been Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow. Trevor Lawrence will join them in April. Stafford has 12 years of production and experience and I'd take him for a 3 year period over any rookie. But......

The theory is, he's played on a bad team throughout his career and he was not the problem. Well there's no real way to determine that but if we examine his production, we could get a decent idea. Critics will say, he's made the postseason 3 times, certainly a team has to be good to do that but he's 0-3. If we look at his 12 year career in Detroit, it's understandable, early on a QB is rarely going to dominate. Still in his first 6 years he had pretty good numbers. 1848 of 3099 (59.6%) for 21,714 yards (7.01 yds/att) 131 TDs (4.2%) 85 Int (2.7%) and a 83.6 QB rating and the Lions made the postseason twice. Experience matters. Over his last 6 years his numbers were nothing short of excellent. 2050 of 3125 (65.6%) 23,395 yards (7.49 yds/att) 151 TDs (4.8%) 59 Ints (1.9%) and a 96.2 QB rating. The Lions made the postseason once.

Another theory is he's never had a great surrounding cast. His critics will point to Megatron and ask "really?". Or TE Brandon Pettigrew who was pretty good for 4 years. But if you look back at Stafford's first 6 years, in the first 5 he had Megatron and little else at WR. Megatron's production often doubled the #2 WR. However, when the Lions signed Tate in 2014, they had a great 1-2 punch. CJ and Tate. In fact, Tate was the reception leader from 2014-2016 over CJ each year. And TE Ebron was almost as good as Pettigrew.....receiving. During that period (14-16) it was the best 3 year run in Detroit with Stafford at QB so it's a safe assumption that was the best receiving corp he had and he excelled. They made the postseason in 2014 at 11-5 and missed in 2016 at 9-7. Though the Rams don't have a Megatron, they do have 2 very good receivers in Woods and Kupp, plus Jefferson should improve in year 2 and there's always the chance they acquire a deep threat or an experienced WR like Marvin Jones. Ironically, that time in Detroit with Tate & CJ was also the time when his top 2 running backs averaged 918 yards rushing between them. That's pitiful and won't happen in L.A. with Akers and Henderson, especially under McVay.

And that brings me to the third theory: 'he's never had a good running game, has only had a 100 yard rusher 11 times' (?). That is true if you look at team numbers or individual production. During his time in Detroit one RB gained 1,000 yards or more. Reggie Bush in 2013 (1006). We all know 1,000 rushing isn't what it was when it was determined to be the measurement of a good RB. The next 3 best performances were 860 yards (2014*), 798 yards (2012) and 747 yards (2009). So he hasn't enjoyed the benefit of a good run game. That should change in L.A.

There's speculating all over the internet about the acquisition of Stafford. Vegas upped our odds to win the Superbowl. Many prognosticators suggested Stafford, in his prime, coupled with McVay's offensive mind, a good run game and the former #1 defense, may be the best situation the Rams have been in, in a long time. Still others, the critics, suggest we're just getting a more experienced Goff. But is that a bad thing, really? A more experienced Goff might be a pretty good QB.

So I'll join the positive prognosticators and project great things for the Rams over the next few years.....provided they experience decent health.

by max
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   4387  
United States of America   Fairfield County, CT
Superstar

The biggest question I have is what possess a guy to stay 12 years in a bad situation?

He just kept signing extensions rather than demand a trade. Why did it take him so long?

by AvengerRam
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6302  
Israel   Longwood, FL

max wrote:The biggest question I have is what possess a guy to stay 12 years in a bad situation?

He just kept signing extensions rather than demand a trade. Why did it take him so long?

Hope for the future.
Valuing stability.
Loyalty to the team.
Desire to be within an hour or two of Zingerman's (Michigan folks will get this one).

Seriously... he really cares about Detroit. Check this out:
https://www.aol.com/matthew-kelly-staff ... 28258.html

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

max wrote:The biggest question I have is what possess a guy to stay 12 years in a bad situation?

Well the 'bad situation' is a perception before and after he was drafted. He was initially signed to a 6 year contract. In July of 2013, after 5 years (and 1 playoff appearance) the Lions signed him to a 3 year extension with $41.5 mil guaranteed of $54 in new money which encompassed 2015 - 2017 and then made the postseason with an 11-5 record. After that, they made the postseason again in 2016 and turned around in August, 2017 and gave him a new contract of 5 years, $135 mil with $92 mil in guarantees. The guy was loyal and they did make the postseason 3 times during his first 8 years. Since then, not a whiff. So he decided, finally, the sun was going down soon and he wanted a chance to play for a Superbowl. Hey he's not Deshean Watson or Carson Wentz, demanding a trade before their rookie deals are even up. And I'm sure, he wanted to reward the fans of Detroit with a Superbowl.

by moklerman
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7584  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I prefer that attitude over guys who only want it "better". IMO, Stafford was trying to change the culture of Detroit and bring winning back to that city. Call it integrity, pride or just a personal challenge. I could never truly root for guys like Elway and Eli with the stuff they pulled.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1775  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

Hey max....and with respect ;)
...regarding why Stafford only demanded a trade now, after 12 years in Detroit...

ME: It may be an old-fashioned notion to millennials....
but to this baby-boomer, LOYALTY IS STILL A VIRTUE!!! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

ALSO:

Guys talk about Stafford being rejuvenated by his new SoCal surroundings.....but I think McVay is also going to be revitalized and re-energized by the arrival of
a more nimble,
more knowledgeable,
more arm-strength,
more coach-on-the-field Quarterback in the person of Mathew Stafford.

I predict that Mathew Stafford passes for at least 36 TDs in his 2021 Regular Season Ram starts! :idea2:

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:I predict that Mathew Stafford passes for at least 36 TDs in his 2021 Regular Season Ram starts! :idea2:

To quite Tom Jackson, "COME ON MAN!!". If you're amped up enough to get in the prediction business, at least make a BOLD prediction!! He threw 41 TD passes with the Lions!!! :D

by CanuckRightWinger
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1775  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Pro Bowl

In 2020 Los Ramos had 20 total TD passes.

My prediction to 36 for 2021 represents an 80% increase :idea2: arithmetically PA.... (20 x 180% = 36)

so not so unambitious as you seem to allege!! :idea2:

by 69RamFan
2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:We know of his physical talents. We know of his mental toughness. We know he's never had a very good chance at a Superbowl. And we know he's joining a strong team with an offensive minded head coach. It's a fair assumption that very few QBs enter the NFL and become superstars immediately, at least in actual production. Most #1's come in as hyped superstars. Lately it's been Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow. Trevor Lawrence will join them in April. Stafford has 12 years of production and experience and I'd take him for a 3 year period over any rookie. But......

The theory is, he's played on a bad team throughout his career and he was not the problem. Well there's no real way to determine that but if we examine his production, we could get a decent idea. Critics will say, he's made the postseason 3 times, certainly a team has to be good to do that but he's 0-3. If we look at his 12 year career in Detroit, it's understandable, early on a QB is rarely going to dominate. Still in his first 6 years he had pretty good numbers. 1848 of 3099 (59.6%) for 21,714 yards (7.01 yds/att) 131 TDs (4.2%) 85 Int (2.7%) and a 83.6 QB rating and the Lions made the postseason twice. Experience matters. Over his last 6 years his numbers were nothing short of excellent. 2050 of 3125 (65.6%) 23,395 yards (7.49 yds/att) 151 TDs (4.8%) 59 Ints (1.9%) and a 96.2 QB rating. The Lions made the postseason once.

Another theory is he's never had a great surrounding cast. His critics will point to Megatron and ask "really?". Or TE Brandon Pettigrew who was pretty good for 4 years. But if you look back at Stafford's first 6 years, in the first 5 he had Megatron and little else at WR. Megatron's production often doubled the #2 WR. However, when the Lions signed Tate in 2014, they had a great 1-2 punch. CJ and Tate. In fact, Tate was the reception leader from 2014-2016 over CJ each year. And TE Ebron was almost as good as Pettigrew.....receiving. During that period (14-16) it was the best 3 year run in Detroit with Stafford at QB so it's a safe assumption that was the best receiving corp he had and he excelled. They made the postseason in 2014 at 11-5 and missed in 2016 at 9-7. Though the Rams don't have a Megatron, they do have 2 very good receivers in Woods and Kupp, plus Jefferson should improve in year 2 and there's always the chance they acquire a deep threat or an experienced WR like Marvin Jones. Ironically, that time in Detroit with Tate & CJ was also the time when his top 2 running backs averaged 918 yards rushing between them. That's pitiful and won't happen in L.A. with Akers and Henderson, especially under McVay.

And that brings me to the third theory: 'he's never had a good running game, has only had a 100 yard rusher 11 times' (?). That is true if you look at team numbers or individual production. During his time in Detroit one RB gained 1,000 yards or more. Reggie Bush in 2013 (1006). We all know 1,000 rushing isn't what it was when it was determined to be the measurement of a good RB. The next 3 best performances were 860 yards (2014*), 798 yards (2012) and 747 yards (2009). So he hasn't enjoyed the benefit of a good run game. That should change in L.A.

There's speculating all over the internet about the acquisition of Stafford. Vegas upped our odds to win the Superbowl. Many prognosticators suggested Stafford, in his prime, coupled with McVay's offensive mind, a good run game and the former #1 defense, may be the best situation the Rams have been in, in a long time. Still others, the critics, suggest we're just getting a more experienced Goff. But is that a bad thing, really? A more experienced Goff might be a pretty good QB.

So I'll join the positive prognosticators and project great things for the Rams over the next few years.....provided they experience decent health.

I'm hoping he turns out to be great for the RAMs...
But I'm still concern, if we don't fix the middle of our OL,,,
then I feel he won't be any better than Goff... IMO...

Here is the problem I have,

All of his past injuries,,, as he ages, those past injuries start to take effect on the body....

Then stating that he never had good skill players around him or have a good running team.... I think its a false statement...

I check all of the playoff seasons,,, I thought they did ok in running the ball...

In 2016, the RB combo, had shy of a 1,000 yds... and average 3.5 yds combined.
Plus he had a really good WR/TE, Bouldin, Tate, Jones, and Ebron...

In 2014, the RB combo, in Bell & Bush, they had 1157 yds... and average 3.9yds combined. to included a great WR/TE corp. Megatron, Tate, Ross & Ebron...

In 2011, the RB combo, in Best, Moore & Smith, they had 1062 combine, average 4.5 between them. With a great WR/TE corp of Megatron, Burleson, Young & Pettigrew.

Plus the Lions had a pretty good Defense with Suh, especially in 2014 only giving up 17.6pts/gm.

So to say that their running game wasn't good,,, They had a good average yds per game during their playoff seasons,

They turned out to be good teams,,,

We don't know how much control Stafford had at the LOS to change the plays or made his own calls in the games...

But the ratio of passing vs running wasn't balance... that was the only problem I seen with his playoff seasons...

by PARAM
2 weeks ago
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:Then stating that he never had good skill players around him or have a good running team.... I think its a false statement...

I check all of the playoff seasons,,, I thought they did ok in running the ball...

In 2016, the RB combo, had shy of a 1,000 yds... and average 3.5 yds combined.
Plus he had a really good WR/TE, Bouldin, Tate, Jones, and Ebron...

In 2014, the RB combo, in Bell & Bush, they had 1157 yds... and average 3.9yds combined. to included a great WR/TE corp. Megatron, Tate, Ross & Ebron...

In 2011, the RB combo, in Best, Moore & Smith, they had 1062 combine, average 4.5 between them. With a great WR/TE corp of Megatron, Burleson, Young & Pettigrew.

Plus the Lions had a pretty good Defense with Suh, especially in 2014 only giving up 17.6pts/gm.

So to say that their running game wasn't good,,, They had a good average yds per game during their playoff seasons,

They turned out to be good teams,,.

Well we'll just not in agreement if you think "just under 1,000 yards combined" is a good run game. Or year in and year out, just over 1,000 with a good ypc avg is a good run game. Take a look at the top 2 RB's, their avg., the team total and average and where they ranked each year, you might change your mind. Detroit hasn't had a good run game since Barry left.

As far as defense, just having Suh doesn't make a defense "good". He left.and the Rams went to #1. Take a look at where they ranked each year. Sucky.

Sure he had CJ and Pettigrew, then Tate and CJ but that doesn't prove anything except how horrific the run game and defense actually were.

I am in agreement about the OL.

• 1 / 6
59 posts Feb 27 2021