240 posts
  • 17 / 24
 by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Jalen Ramsey says Watson won't play for the Texans.

He brought up some good points about "input" and how most teams listen to their franchise quarterback but don't necessarily let him run things. Logical. The article cites differences between Ramsey (who has the same agent) and Watson. Ramsey was on his rookie contract, Watson has been paid big time. Ramsey is CB, Watson a QB.

And on that subject, particularly the no-trade waiver, Bill Polian was on SirriusNFLChannel last night and made some legit claims. He said, "either you waive the no trade clause or you don't. You don't just waive it for 'these few teams' because it limits our leverage to make a fair trade." And he has a good point. Narrowing it down to 3 or 4 teams means, they have the leverage over a product you're heavily invested in and are going to take a dead money hit on the trade. So you owe it to your team to get the most capital you can because of that. He said, if you don't want to waive the no trade clause for all teams, then it's a non issue. No trade.

For once, I'd like to see a team play hardball and say, "fine sit out. Pay your fines." I'd bet after about a quarter of the season, Watson says, "okay, trade me anywhere" and then Houston gets a better deal. What will it do, ruin the season for the Texans? This has already done that. Write this year off and get the most you can for a franchise QB who's unhappy. What's the blowback? Free agents won't sign because of it? They'll sign where the money is, most times. And if the Texans get the best deal possible, their remaining players might even appreciate that.

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Big Ben is official:

Contract details.

by HopHead Ram
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

That shows me a guy that truly wants another ring in his last year before retirement. Too bad the Rams are going to spoil that for him.

by azramsfan93
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:They could probably suspend him. But with each of those steps, it drives the wedge even deeper and creates a situation where they have to get rid of him and other teams will try to low ball them. That may be why they're taking this "he ain't going no where" stance. Get legit offers and then try to placate him one more time before trading him.

If he doesn't play, then he doesn't get paid. Watson is not helping his cause with all of this public prima donna whining. Other teams will think they can get him on the cheap, and then the Texans won't bite - I wouldn't .

He can tell them to trade him, but he should keep his mouth shut and not undermine any Texans attempts to trade him.

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

azramsfan93 wrote:If he doesn't play, then he doesn't get paid. Watson is not helping his cause with all of this public prima donna whining. Other teams will think they can get him on the cheap, and then the Texans won't bite - I wouldn't .

He can tell them to trade him, but he should keep his mouth shut and not undermine any Texans attempts to trade him.

Yeah like Polian said, "you can't tell me to trade you and then limit my options, lessening the chance to receiver fair compensation for the trade."

When you think about it, waiving your no-trade clause for a handful of teams is one step short of saying, "I won't ever play for you again, trade me to the Saint's"

The deal is, you're under contract and YOU are the one violating the contract, yet you want the say in where you go? You either waive the no-trade clause (and go where we can get the best deal) or you don't (and you either play for us or sit on your ass paying fines every week). You're call fella.

And I know a lot of players come down on Watson's side, as do a fair number of fans (probably) but the fact of the matter is this......6 months ago.....6 MONTHS....this guy signed a 4 year contract extension for 156 mil with 73.6 mil fully guaranteed......and now you want out?????? (Obviously a graduate of the Eric Dickerson school of fulfilling your contract)

Sure give back some money.....wait, not some money.....ALOT OF MONEY

by Lancer
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   167  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Elvis wrote:Big Ben is official:

Goodness, Pittsburgh QB longer than some authoritarians have been in power...

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Business decision or demand from Goff?

• 17 / 24
240 posts Apr 17 2024