293 posts
  • 1 / 30
 by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

"You say you got a real solution... Well, you know... we'd all love to see the plan."
- John Lennon

If you think the Rams should move on from Jared Goff, so be it... but what's your plan.

BE SPECIFIC!

If you'd cut him... what is your plan for the QB position (particularly with a small island nation's GDP in dead money)?

If you'd trade him... describe the trade and tell us why you think the other team would make the deal.

If you'd bench him... who is your starter? John Wolford? Blake Bortles? A veteran FA? A Day 2 draft pick?

by moklerman
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

The only possible plan to move on from Goff is to trade him. Even then, it will be a $22M cap hit. But, that's the only chance. If they cut him, it's a $65M cap hit. I don't think it's possible to absorb that.

Now, many have argued that Goff's salary isn't excessive and even reasonable in today's NFL so maybe a trade is possible? Atlanta? Houston? New Orleans? New England? Indy? Seems like there should be at least some team willing to take him on if the Rams are truly shopping him.

As far as who replaces him if that happens? McVay will get his pick and will at the very least replicate the production of Goff over the last 41 games. I have no doubts about that. The particular name doesn't really matter.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:The only possible plan to move on from Goff is to trade him. Even then, it will be a $22M cap hit. But, that's the only chance. If they cut him, it's a $65M cap hit. I don't think it's possible to absorb that.

Now, many have argued that Goff's salary isn't excessive and even reasonable in today's NFL so maybe a trade is possible? Atlanta? Houston? New Orleans? New England? Indy? Seems like there should be at least some team willing to take him on if the Rams are truly shopping him.

As far as who replaces him if that happens? McVay will get his pick and will at the very least replicate the production of Goff over the last 41 games. I have no doubts about that. The particular name doesn't really matter.

So do you envision a trade that would yield a starting QB (i.e. Watson), or one that would yield a first round pick that the Rams would use on a QB?

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

The latter would be the best scenario unless Watson wants to come to LA. Wouldn't it be nice to have a good young QB on his rookie salary again? We could beef up and get depth.

by ziggy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   595  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

I do not think this is a good idea-- but I just want to hear ppl that can evaluate salary better than me speak to it.

Goff to Cowboys for Dak? Cowboys can't figure a salary solution for Dak. At least with Goff, they've got firm numbers that fits their payroll?! Cowboys will prob want some picks to make it worthwhile.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:The latter would be the best scenario unless Watson wants to come to LA. Wouldn't it be nice to have a good young QB on his rookie salary again? We could beef up and get depth.

That's fine, but I did say that I was going ask people to be specific, so...

What team that possesses a first round pick do you think would trade that pick for Jared Goff (bonus points if you identify a QB you think would be available at their selection)?

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 months ago
Hall of Fame

ziggy wrote:I do not think this is a good idea-- but I just want to hear ppl that can evaluate salary better than me speak to it.

Goff to Cowboys for Dak? Cowboys can't figure a salary solution for Dak. At least with Goff, they've got firm numbers that fits their payroll?! Cowboys will prob want some picks to make it worthwhile.

That would mean, in all likelihood, paying Dak more than we're paying Goff. Is that a formula for success?

by ziggy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   595  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Nope, but like I said -- I think its a terrible idea. I think I mostly put it out there to demonstrate to people that Goff really isn't overpaid in the grand scheme of things. There are worst QBs with more unknowns that are asking for more money... by a large factor.

by moklerman
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:So do you envision a trade that would yield a starting QB (i.e. Watson), or one that would yield a first round pick that the Rams would use on a QB?
Hope? Yes. Envision? Probably not. I don't think Goff will yield us much in draft capitol. At least not directly. His stock isn't high enough for that right now but if we get lucky and garner a 2nd, I could see that packaged to get a mid to late first somehow. But, I don't know that the Rams will target the draft for a QB. I more inclined to think that McVay/Snead know of a hidden gem out there that they could bring in on a smaller deal.

I don't know who that would be since I don't know all of their connections but I'm that confident in McVay and his offense that finding a QB won't be a huge issue. Goff sank to a certain level after that KC game in '18 and never found a way to elevate himself back up. The film studies I have watched make it clear to me that he struggles with taking what the offense provides and I think that, more than anything, has McVay ready to move on.

I agree that better interior OL would be of benefit but I don't know that they are keeping this offense from being productive. It's obvious that when they get overloaded they can't handle it but a large part of that is because Goff is so limited in pocket awareness and escapability coupled with recognition, processing and release time. There are pocket passers that still succeed like Rivers, Brady, Brees but from what I've seen, it's because they are whatever amount better at what they're doing than it is their OL's being better.

Basically, if Goff could occasionally or consistently burn a defense over the top on one of the zero blitzes, it would keep defenses honest. But that's the problem. Defenses do not respect the Rams beating them over the top. Maybe it's a speed WR or a better 1 on 1 WR or something else. But it's possible that it's Goff and after so many personnel changes and tweaks to the offense and Goff is still struggling like he did in '18, it seems like it's time to face that it probably is him.

by rams74
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

The obvious choice is to trade Goff to the Packers for Jordan Love.

1. The Packers are going to win the Super Bowl, so Love is working out really well for the Packers.
2. Lombardi trophy in hand, Rodgers can retire, and the Packers would have their Cal QB successor, who Matt LaFleur will coach up and make elite.
3. The Rams will get a rookie-deal quarterback who is very mobile and has a great arm. He's actually really good. McVay gets a chance to be a genius again.
4. Win-win.

• 1 / 30
293 posts Apr 16 2024