293 posts
  • 6 / 30
 by moklerman
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:BTW, i joked about this earlier but since both of their contracts make them virtually uncuttable and untradeable, how 'bout a straight up trade, Goff for Wentz?
I don't think it's even particularly outlandish. Other than Philly doesn't really need a QB. The Jalen Hurts experience is potentially underway. They say they're sticking with Wentz but if they keep both, it's just prolongs the inevitable.

I don't think Goff to Philly is likely though. Who knows about Wentz to LA but I could see either one of the benefiting from a change of scenery/better scheme fit. But, I could see both things happening, just not a straight swap. There are some teams that could be interested in Goff though. He just doesn't seem to be a fit for what McVay is doing anymore.

by bremillard
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   625  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Veteran

Haden wrote:I still recall the rams v. Chiefs, where Goff was in the thrilling shootout with Mahommes. That showed incredible talent. I think we need to invest in the o-line to see if Goff can get back to that level. Goff is a guy who needs time in the pocket. If he gets that, he can be deadly. No risk in trying. Even if Goff drops off a la Wentz, we still would have a great o-line for the next guy.

Invest what? My biggest issue with Goff isn't what's possible in a perfect world. My issue is that he eats up so much cap the O-line improvements needed for him to live up to that potential become impossible.

by Hacksaw
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

bremillard wrote:Invest what? My biggest issue with Goff isn't what's possible in a perfect world. My issue is that he eats up so much cap the O-line improvements needed for him to live up to that potential become impossible.

The Rams need to think long and hard about the priority of quality protection. This thread has peeled back some of the option layers for an answer at QB and we find the core thread bare. We really have 1 option, commit to creating the best Oline in the NFL. If we can find / afford that 'take the top off' WR, even better.

The Rams have some deeper positions so perhaps cutting back and reallocating funds to the line is our best current path to success.

The Rams need to score more points but they must be careful not to start giving up more points in the process. They must be careful which deep squad gets thinned.

I see this coming season as the last chance for our kid QB. Last chance to give him what he specifically needs. With time to make a play, he often does us proud.

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:The Rams need to think long and hard about the priority of quality protection. This thread has peeled back some of the option layers for an answer at QB and we find the core thread bare. We really have 1 option, commit to creating the best Oline in the NFL. If we can find / afford that 'take the top off' WR, even better.

The Rams have some deeper positions so perhaps cutting back and reallocating funds to the line is our best current path to success.

The Rams need to score more points but they must be careful not to start giving up more points in the process. They must be careful which deep squad gets thinned.

I see this coming season as the last chance for our kid QB. Last chance to give him what he specifically needs. With time to make a play, he often does us proud.

Good post. We HAVE to commit to the OL. I understand Bremillard's concerns but did QB salary prevent Green Bay from assembling a great OL? During Peyton's career, did his salary prevent the Colts from assembling a great OL? Brady's? Brees'? It is possible. It is necessary. Snead/McVay/Demoff need to identify, target and acquire the guys who will give the Rams offense the passing game we had in 2017-2018. First off, they need to identify how many of our current guys need to be replaced. Is it 1? 2? 3? We can look at the cap and say, "it's impossible" but is it really? Can't do it if they don't try. Many Ram fans wanted them to go OL early and often in the draft. They didn't but they did get some talent to replace Gurley, eventually Reynolds and Everett. Now this year, they need to find some OL talent (along with ILB and deep threat).

Do we have Whit in 2021?
Havenstein?
Who of the young group can play?
Edwards, Corbett, Noteboom, Evans, Anchrum?
Glaring need for OC...........

by safer
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
Pro Bowl

My biggest reasons for seriously considering moving on from Jared is his lack of pocket presence; his noticeable lack of recognition of the play clock, and even more so, pending D blitzes; but more than anything, Jared lacks passion for the game. Of ALL of the recent, elite QB's only Eli Manning had a similar personality. EVERY single one of the other great (Brady, Brees, Russell Wilson; Rivers; Big Ben; Warner; Mahomes; Watson; and Peyton ALL show(ed) and play(ed) with emotion. QB is supposed to be our team leader, right? His demeanor sometimes reminds me of Marc Bulger's --ugggghhh.
Remember the Broncos trading Brock Osweiler to Houston? Houston agreed to eat his salary for a year, and they also got a 2nd rounder from the Broncos. It was simply a salary dump by the Broncos. I think we offer the Washington football team a similar deal on Goff. They get Goff (Smith has been very injury prone--God Bless Him) and our 2022 2nd. We dump Jared's overpaid salary, and they get an improved (probably) QB and a 2nd rounder the following year. We then go to the Jets and offer them Ebukam, NT Robinson and Rapp, along with our 2nd, for us to move up and get their second, FIRST rounder......where we look for a QB. There should be 2-3, very compelling QB's in that area of the draft. We dump Robinson's hefty salary too, creating room to re-sign Floyd. I fully believe that McVay is now looking for a smart, and MOBILE QB, hence his interest in Wofford. IF we could pull this off, finding the best quality we can on elite, outside speed would be our greatest void. UNlike most of you, I think our Oline is well above average. BUT when you are blocking for a statue who often takes too long in his reads, then you're gonna look pretty shitty at times.

by mike schad 1st rd
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   244  
Rookie

Goff and Kupp to Indy for their First Rounder, only if Trey Lance is available with their pick.

by /zn/
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:My biggest reasons for seriously considering moving on from Jared is his lack of pocket presence; his noticeable lack of recognition of the play clock, and even more so, pending D blitzes; but more than anything, Jared lacks passion for the game.

He has passion for the game. It's absolutely visible. You can see the competitive streak in him and his teammates talk about it. It's just housed in an even keeled demeanor--which IMO fools some people.

He is also good against the blitz. They had a fiasco in Miami and a couple of other teams thought that because of that, blitzing him worked. That backfired fast. Goff is actually pretty highly rated against the blitz (espn has him with a 101.0 qb rating against the blitz(.

His pocket presence is far better than you seem to be assuming.

The Rams issues with the play clock are not on him. McVay is in effect the coordinator--he needs to fix all that, and a big part of that is McVay himself.

by pmill66
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   152  
Rookie

Trade him to the Colts for a 1st this year and 3rd next year. Remember, McVay did not draft Goff he inherited him. Let McVay draft a QB, he certainly has chosen assistants very well look at how many become head coaches. And 34-0 when leading at halftime too. Have confidence he will draft and develop a good one.

Get a stopgap QB for next year, a vet of Mcvays choosing. Very confident he will find the right guy. Up to 10 million to spend on the stop from the Goff savings.

by Ramsdude
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

pmill66 wrote:Remember, McVay did not draft Goff he inherited him.

True but McVay was a big part of why Goff was signed to that big contract. If you don't think McVay gave it a thumbs up before he signed, I am afraid you are mistaken.

So, he might not have "inherited" Goff but he DID pay him to stay. In fact Miles Simmons says McVay wanted Goff signed before signing his own extension...

Simmons: Goff's NFL Progression falls on McVay

by 99Balloons
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   26  
Undrafted Free Agent

Keep Goff temporarily for now.

It might be hard to trade Goff at this time because of contract. However, if the Rams shore up the Center position and draft a speedy WR in this year's draft, then they can re-evaluate how Goff's play is for 2021-2022. If he does not perform that well, then they can go FA QB shopping in Sam Darnold in 2022. Right now, the Rams don't have enough draft capitals to move up and also address other positions since they have their own players leaving via FA.

• 6 / 30
293 posts Apr 19 2024