14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

the rams need to take care of the ball, especially the qb, especially #16, that was the prob, or at least a big part of the prob, so we were told at pressers and by talking heads... well the rams didn't turn the ball over in the postseason, in the last 2 games, yet the offense averaged a meager 20.5 points per.

from 2017-2018 the rams scored a whopping 35.5 offensive points per game when they didn't turn the ball over - from 2019-2020 that average was just 25.3, barely above the league average in offensive scoring.

mcvay didn't have turnovers to blame for yesterday's flaccid scoring, but that didn't stop him from playing the blame game, he was quick to point to a crucial drop that killed a drive and an opportunity to tie the game in the 4th quarter while citing the slim margin for error when playing a top tier team.

however he didn't mention the wildcat call on 1st and 10 from packers 23 on the rams second drive of the game, after the rams were rolling, in rhythm, and had the packers on their heels with 3 quick goff strikes for 50 yards, the wildcat call that gained 2 yards and sucked the wind out of the drive, the booth guys certainly noticed... rather than take a 7-3 lead the rams settled for a field goal, rather than look like they came to play and put the packers on notice, they looked stymied.

mcvay didn't mention that akers only saw one target yesterday either, despite saying that akers is a guy whose hands he needed to put the ball in because good things happen.

the rams offense is middle of the pack at best, and it's been that way for two seasons straight, it has averaged 22.0 per game since game one of the 2019 season... blame goff, turnovers, the oline, whatever, but you have to include mcvay in the blame as well.

by HellRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

I posted this on ROD-

I'm still trying to figure out why McVay doesn't utilize the dynamic Akers and Hendo in the passing game more, or why we don't emphasize the TEs in the passing game, or why not do more hurry up in which Goff is excellent at. Heck even the jet sweeps disappeared.

What Lafluer did to us was masterful yesterday. It was the little things like motioning Adams on the goaline. Lafluer attacked our weaknesses superbly. We haven't seen McVay fool a defense like that in quite some time.

by HellRam
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
Starter

I'd also add the best thing to happen to McVay was to get hired to replace Fisher. The incompetence of those Fisher offenses made McVay look like a God send. Particularly with his work with Goff. However, without Fisher the narrative on Goff is probably completely different.

Not that Sean isn't a good coach. But he inherited the best defensive player as well as arguably the top RB. Teams caught up to McVay and he's had no counter.

by max
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

McVay also didn’t mention that he called only one run play when the Rams cut the lead to 25-18 and got the ball back on their 5 yard line. He did say that was the biggest disappointment, that we didn’t sustain that drive and tie it up. He had Goff passing on every down but one, with 4 fingers, and an OL getting abused in pass pro. Yet, McVay never took responsibility for bad play calls.

I can’t wait to hear him at his presser today. The vultures are out to hear him throw Goff under the bus again. Will he?

by PARAM
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

@Aeneas......a certain Ram fan points to the last 41 games when referring to his dissatisfaction with our QB/offensive play. Ironically, that exact point of demarcation is the Detroit game in 2018, when Matt Patricia employed the 6 man front vs McVay's offense (and other teams copied it). The Rams are 24-17 over those 41 games, and not every team employs that particular defense.

Here's some numbers.
When the Rams defense allows less than 20 points the Rams are 16-5.
When the Rams defense allows 20 or more points the Rams are 8-12.
So clearly, the offense has won some games needing to score more than 20 (8).
And they've lost some games when 20 (or even less) would be enough (5).
Does that seem like an exclusive "offensive problem"?

And speaking of "problem", clearly your post shows that it's not totally on the QBs shoulders and that playcalling has been questionable on numerous occasions. Just like folks pointing to Goff's depth of passing this year. Obviously, that was by design much of the time because of questionable OL play. Yet there has been speculation there are deep passes available but the QB just hasn't taken advantage of them. Simultaneously, those same 'speculators' are concerned with turnovers.

Something is wrong and I get the distinct feeling it's not just one thing. It's a collection of things. "Don't turn the ball over". "Get the ball out quickly before protection fails". "Take some deep shots when they're there". "I know we're moving the ball quickly and efficiently but here...run a wildcat play or a dumbassed WR screen here".

I love McVay. He is the genesis of my good feelings the last 4 years about being an avid Ram fan. But is it possible, his ego....the genius label.....the boy wonder label.....gets in the way of some self evaluation? After many losses he's said "that's my fault, I have to put them in a better position to succeed" and clearly some of those times he's protecting his players. But the times when that "it's my fault" is 100% accurate, does he really examine his game flow play calling? I seriously think he needs to allow an OC to call McVay's playbook and we might see a clear difference in results. He's got a headset on and can jump in at any time to suggest something else.

I just don't see this as a one guy or one unit problem. We definitely need OL help and a legit burner or two for a deep threat. And we need some serious self evaluation by McVay, as well as more consistent QB play.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2079  
Pro Bowl

Well I figured we would need to be plus 2 in turnovers to win so in a way turnovers were the problem and we had the chance for them. The first wildcat needed to be a pass from Cam, but that wasn't the place to wildcat. We needed to stay on the attack there.

Next season maybe McVay needs to send Veronica on a long vacation during the season. It seemed to work for George in Seinfeld.

by actionjack
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:the rams need to take care of the ball, especially the qb, especially #16, that was the prob, or at least a big part of the prob, so we were told at pressers and by talking heads... well the rams didn't turn the ball over in the postseason, in the last 2 games, yet the offense averaged a meager 20.5 points per.

from 2017-2018 the rams scored a whopping 35.5 offensive points per game when they didn't turn the ball over - from 2019-2020 that average was just 25.3, barely above the league average in offensive scoring.

mcvay didn't have turnovers to blame for yesterday's flaccid scoring, but that didn't stop him from playing the blame game, he was quick to point to a crucial drop that killed a drive and an opportunity to tie the game in the 4th quarter while citing the slim margin for error when playing a top tier team.

however he didn't mention the wildcat call on 1st and 10 from packers 23 on the rams second drive of the game, after the rams were rolling, in rhythm, and had the packers on their heels with 3 quick goff strikes for 50 yards, the wildcat call that gained 2 yards and sucked the wind out of the drive, the booth guys certainly noticed... rather than take a 7-3 lead the rams settled for a field goal, rather than look like they came to play and put the packers on notice, they looked stymied.

mcvay didn't mention that akers only saw one target yesterday either, despite saying that akers is a guy whose hands he needed to put the ball in because good things happen.

the rams offense is middle of the pack at best, and it's been that way for two seasons straight, it has averaged 22.0 per game since game one of the 2019 season... blame goff, turnovers, the oline, whatever, but you have to include mcvay in the blame as well.

Rams didnt get a ton of chances on offense. When your defense doesnt show up (without AD) and lets the other team's offense go on long drive after long drive you arent going to win. Our defense got physically beaten in the trenches

by aeneas1
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Rams didnt get a ton of chances on offense. When your defense doesnt show up (without AD) and lets the other team's offense go on long drive after long drive you arent going to win. Our defense got physically beaten in the trenches

no doubt, the defense got zero pressure on rodgers, it was so painful to watch, and when they did he eluded it easily given the rams rarely rushed more than four, alas... that said, the rams did have 8 drives to work with and only came away with 18, double alas...

by snackdaddy
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I think the finger pointing to Goff is more a product of what he did before the playoffs. He wasn't great yesterday. But he wasn't bad either. The problem was playing a great offense led by a great quarterback. Our great defense was not up to the task and Goff needed to be a lot better than not bad. Perhaps even good wouldn't be enough.

But lets be real, the defense played poorly and it coulda easily been a lot worse than 32 points. Their offense dominated most the game. Our defense was looking like the Ravens game the year before.

by actionjack
3 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:no doubt, the defense got zero pressure on rodgers, it was so painful to watch, and when they did he eluded it easily given the rams rarely rushed more than four, alas... that said, the rams did have 8 drives to work with and only came away with 18, double alas...

Agreed, the Rams had to get going on one of the last two chances, but again the defense cant allow 32 points. Zero pass rush, I never saw Rodgers under any duress all day.

Do we need AD in order to have a pass rush?? I tend to not think so since GB has a good line, but we do need more upfront.

On the last two drives for the offense, it's clear that Goff needs to get better at dealing with a dirty pocket. In todays game you have got to be have show some escape ability.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 18 2024