3 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Gareth wrote:Super Bowl appearances:

McVay - 1
LaFleur - 0

Just sayin’

no doubt, but going forward, what would the expectations be if the rams landed rodgers given what lafleur got out him?

by Gareth
3 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   1207  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:no doubt, but going forward, what would the expectations be if the rams landed rodgers given what lafleur got out him?

I think there is about 0% chance of the Rams landing Rodgers.

But speaking for myself, if that miracle did occur, my expectations would be sky high.

by actionjack
3 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   3985  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:I’m not placing this all on Goff. Quite the contrary. I am placing most of it on the OL. But, If anyone here sees Goff as quick to get through progressions, having suddenness in the pocket, having quick feet, and having a quick and compact delivery - I have no idea what you are looking at on a regular basis. He is accurate and when his pocket is clean, his mechanics are better than good enough to deliver accurate and catchable balls.

I hope the OL gets properly addressed. Then we will see how far JG can go and where his ceiling really is.

I am not down in him and don’t see any better options either on the roster or potentially available. Would I take Watson over Goff? Probably, depending on cost - short and long term. But that is a pipe dream. As is a rookie coming in and instantly playing at a higher level.

Spot on Rams34, I will just add that I think the "dumb" mistakes by Jared this year was also a difference. Too many turnovers he could have avoided. When you TD's are equal or close to your turnovers that is not a good season.

Having watched Goff since his college days, he has elite talent, never great pocket presence and somewhat careless in the pocket with the ball. I would expect him to improve roughly year to year. I think he surprised us all in his big jump into 2017 and 2018 and now he has flatlined or regressed some. In 2019 it was clearly o-line issues, this year we had decent to good o-line. Goff def needs a good line and a deep weapon. Goff also needs to work on his ability in dirty pocket and when he does have time, hit big throws down the field. We really missed the big plays out of Goff and the offense as a whole, and everyone shares blame in that.

by ramsman34
3 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   8576  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

actionjack wrote:Spot on Rams34, I will just add that I think the "dumb" mistakes by Jared this year was also a difference. Too many turnovers he could have avoided. When you TD's are equal or close to your turnovers that is not a good season.

Having watched Goff since his college days, he has elite talent, never great pocket presence and somewhat careless in the pocket with the ball. I would expect him to improve roughly year to year. I think he surprised us all in his big jump into 2017 and 2018 and now he has flatlined or regressed some. In 2019 it was clearly o-line issues, this year we had decent to good o-line. Goff def needs a good line and a deep weapon. Goff also needs to work on his ability in dirty pocket and when he does have time, hit big throws down the field. We really missed the big plays out of Goff and the offense as a whole, and everyone shares blame in that.

And I agree with your assessment 💯

by PARAM
3 years 3 months ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:after the vikings and chiefs games, after the 4 td game in frigid tennessee, after many other rams wins, i remember thinking if only the rams had a qb who knew how to sense pressure, how to climb the ladder, how to recognize coverages, how to throw deep, how to come from behind, etc., etc.!

who knows what the rams will do in 2021 at the qb position, will be interesting, i'm hoping they can find a qb who excels when facing poor pass pro, who can make plays when the plays called are sniffed out, who can scramble and get out of just about every pinch, the kind of qb most winning teams have!

in the end the nfl is at the mercy of what colleges produce at qb, and colleges are producing guys that can scramble, that can take off with the ball, and as a result nfl offenses are changing accordingly, or trying to change the guys they draft.

i'm all for a guy who can scramble away form trouble, who can turn would-be negative plays into positive plays with his legs, but two of the best at it, jackson and wilson, are sitting at home right now, while murray, a guy who the talking heads were mvp praising early in the year, has yet to lead the cards to double-digit wins, a winning season, or the playoffs, and of course daniel jones, another guy who is fond of taking off with the ball, hasn't been able to lead his team to more than 6 wins or 23rd in offensive scoring since he's been in the league.

but maybe they just need mcvay?

About these "mobile QBs who can escape pressure to make plays", how many have been drafted since the Seahawks lucked out with Russell Wilson?

Which of these guys were considered "mobile"?

** out of NFL
* not with team who drafted them

1st Round
EJ Manuel**

2nd Round
Geno Smith**

1st round
Bortles*
Maziel**
Bridgewater*

2nd round
Carr
Garappolo*

1st Round
Winston*
Mariota*

2nd Round
none

1st round
Goff
Wentz
Lynch**

2nd round
Hackenburg*

1st Round
Trubisky
Mahomes
Watson

2nd Round
Kizer*

1st Round
Mayfield
Darnold
Allen
Rosen*
Jackson

2nd Round
none

1st Round
Murray
Jones
Haskins*

2nd Round
Lock

1st Round
Burrow
Tua
Herbert
Love

2nd Round
Hurts

That's 31 quarterbacks taken in the first 2 rounds since Wilson showed up. Some of them were mobile "Wilson clones/wannabes", some were pocket passers. 4 are not in the NFL anymore and 9 aren't with the teams that drafted them. The only three who played the way they were expected to play were Watson (with little to show for it), Mahomes (SB title; 2 consecutive SB appearances) and Jackson (NFL MVP). Allen looks good. Mayfield looked a lot better once they got him an OL. The youngsters, Burrow and Herbert look good but Goff is the only one other than Mahomes to play in the Big Game.

Prescott (4th round 2016) is another guy who impressed but......

EDIT: I must correct myself.....Garappolo (drafted 2014) also played in a SB. So 3 QBs, drafted since Wilson in 2012 went to the Superbowl, other than Wilson, who hasn't been there since his 3rd year (6 Superbowls ago). So if you're Andy Reid and the Chiefs, you win. Best QB drafted since Wilson.

• 18 / 18
175 posts Apr 29 2024