5 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by PARAM
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Blast from the past Johnny Johnson was on GMFB and among the subjects they spoke to him about was the Rams defense and particularly the secondary. He said he didn't think they've hit their peak and could be better, love the fact Ramsey was wearing his number and one of the hosts mentioned the Rams being known for good secondary's.

I know the Rams had good defenses over the years, good defensive backs and I took a stroll down memory lane. Perhaps the most famous was Dick Night Train Lane but waaaay before my time. For eyewitness testimony, we'd have to ask Canuck! ;) Ed Meador was still playing when I began my Ram-fandom but I don't remember much of him. The first guys I remember were Clancy Williams and Dave Elmendorf. But back then the defense was centered around Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen.

Perhaps my favorite Ram draft picks in the secondary were Rod Perry, Monte Jackson, Pat Thomas, Leroy Irvin, Nolan Cromwell and Johnnie Johnson. But there were many more.

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Irv Cross #27 IIRC, the future CBS Broadcaster with Frank Gifford and dolls Phyllis TexanHubbaHubba! George & Jayne I'mFromCleveland! Kennedy, played the Rams CB position opposite Clancy Williams #24. :idea2:

Chuck Lamson #44 was the Rams SS opposite FS/Punt Returner Eddie NFL'sSurestTackler Meador #21.

Clancy Williams was second fastest guy on 1967 Rams, per the late George Allen.....

....the fastest guy on the 1967 Los Ramos squad?

David Deacon Jones!!!!!!! :shock2: :arrow2: :o

+++++++++++++++

Re: Pennsylvania's kindly birthday wishes to me ;)
Even though when I was born, the Dead Sea....
was only sick....

I never ever did see Dick NightTrain Lane play....BUT...started following The Horns as a 9th Grader during LBJ's administration, and...

....I DID, over half-a-century ago :o see George Allen's charges shutout the 1970 Bills 19-0 in Buffalo's long ago torndown War Memorial Stadium (which Buffalonian Ron LackawanaKid Jaworski confirmed to me personally was known by the locals as "The RockPile").......and got a B&W Kodak Brownie-Instamatic shot of Jack Snow #84 warming up with fellow GoldenDomer & backup Rams LB Jon Pergine down at grass level. In those days fans were allowed down on the sidelines during PreGame warmups,

I walked by CBS Sportscaster The Amazin' Bill Mazer interviewing some Buffalo Coach on the sidelines....so close I cudda picked his pocket!!

That was my first time watching Los Ramos live.....the next year I drove the family 1966 Pontiac Laurentian down to new (then!) Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh with some HS football buddies, to see Willie Ellison #33 get his 1000th yard rushing (barely!) for the 1971 season as Tommy Prothro's guys beat-up on some green-as-grass Steeler QB named Bradshaw.....

wonder whatever happened to that guy??!!
Oh yeah, he beat us in SB XIV in Pasadena's RoseBowl in Jan 1980, where I sat on the 10 yard line in the corner where Lawrence PerfectSBPasserRating McCutheon hit Rod Smith in the EndZone with his HalfBack Option TD pass!!! 8-)

So whilst there are a few miles on this Hungarian chassis, I am still feisty enough to call out FortySomething business guys with the old line:

Hey rookie, show some respect eh! :x
Just remember that I was IN UNIFORM....
When you were still IN LIQUID FORM!!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

by PARAM
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:The Amazin' Bill Mazer

I remember watching Mazer out of NYC....he used to have all kinds of trivia and stories....much like you Canuck!.....IIRC it was something like "Stump the Amazing Mazer", truly Amazing....

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Yup....that's the guy!

Still remember when he was interviewing Montreal Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante.....and after an awkward pause.....Mazer blurts out:

"HEY JACQUES.....DO YOU KNIT???!!!"

Plante went on to explain how he relieves the stress of being a top tier NHL Goalie by knitting yarn into sweaters and the like. Clearly Mazer had been briefed by his producers that the interview should cover this unique hobby of Plante's..........BUT GEEZE LOUISE....

the way Mazer just blurted it out was so fooking bizarre even to us, at that time, Canadian elementary school hockey fans!

Mazer seemed at best, an "unorthodox interviewer" and at worst.....just Joe Cocker weird, man!!!

As always, JMO.

• 1 / 1
5 posts Apr 18 2024