by Elvis
6 days ago
 Total posts:   27552  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-ram ... nt-defense

Rams Role reversal: Sean McVay crafting offense to complement elite defense

Eric D. Williams

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Sean McVay continues to show his versatility as an offensive play caller this season.

The Los Angeles Rams head coach engineered one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL two years ago in leading his team to the Super Bowl.

But with an aging Todd Gurley -- the engine of that offense -- moving on to the Atlanta Falcons during the offseason, McVay had to somewhat alter what he’s done schematically to fit the personnel still left on the roster, along with the other side of the football led by new defensive coordinator Brandon Staley that has emerged as one of the best in the league.

With that in mind, McVay morphed his offense from a high-flying act to more of a ball-control scheme that eats up clock and takes shots when available. Yes, McVay would like to score more than the 24 points game the Rams average, a career-low for his offense in the NFL.

However, when your defense is allowing just 18.7 points a contest, leaning on the run game, eating up clock and taking care of the football is a good blueprint for winning football.

It’s the way McVay’s NFC West division rival Pete Carroll won a Super Bowl after the 2013 regular season, leaning on an elite defense and Marshawn Lynch.

The Rams are averaging 134 rushing yards a contest, No. 8 in the NFL. McVay’s offense runs it 46.6 percent of the time this season vs. 44.7 percent of the time during the team’s Super Bowl run. And they are holding the football an average time of 31:47 a game, No. 5 in the NFL.

That said, McVay would like to see his offense put the ball in the end zone a few more times a game.

“I want to just see us consistently sustain (offense) throughout,” McVay said, after his team’s 23-16 win over the Seattle Seahawks last week “It is about winning the football game. I’m never going to take that for granted, but I do think that we can continue to produce at a level that was in alignment with how we started that all through the four quarters of the game.”

Where the Rams have to get better is creating explosive plays and scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

This season, the Rams have 32 passing plays of 20-plus yards. During the team’s Super Bowl season, the Rams had 69 passing plays of 20-plus yards, No. 3 in the NFL.

The Rams are currently No. 16 in the NFL in red zone efficiency, scoring touchdowns inside the 20-yard line a little over 60 percent of the time, No. 16 in the league.

“It’s just reps,” Rams quarterback Jared Goff said. “It’s just making sure everything keeps clicking. I think we’re really close to answer your question. I think it’s extremely close.

“Today (Sunday) was a good day to see that. Run game, pass game, play action game, screen game, everything was kind of working. We’re just that close on a handful of those plays that would have really opened it up. And again, you’re complaining about a seven-point win -- I don’t want to sound like that. I’m happy about the win, but we can keep pushing to be better and we will.”

by aeneas1
6 days ago
 Total posts:   14815  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

But with an aging Todd Gurley...

he was 25 until two months ago, ha ha...

It’s the way McVay’s NFC West division rival Pete Carroll won a Super Bowl after the 2013 regular season, leaning on an elite defense and Marshawn Lynch.

in 2013 the seahawks finished the year ranked 9th in offensive scoring, 6th highest in the nfc, and highest in the nfc west, not exactly a case where a strong defense carried a mediocre at best offense.

by Elvis
6 days ago
 Total posts:   27552  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I very much deny the premise of this article but there may be some affect on McVay's offense because of the defense.

I don't think he's Brian Billick just yet...

by mike schad 1st rd
6 days ago
 Total posts:   113  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Elvis wrote:I very much deny the premise of this article but there may be some affect on McVay's offense because of the defense.

I don't think he's Brian Billick just yet...

Well, the Giants game at least, seemed to be evidence of this.

by PARAM
6 days ago
 Total posts:   6002  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

We have missed opportunities on offense.

The pass to Higbee against Seattle.
The pass to Kupp in the Miami game.
The drop by Kupp in the SF, followed by a pick in the end zone.
4 missed FG's and 3 unsuccessful PAT's = 15 points or 1.7 PPG more

He is running more which will eat more clock. We're on pace for almost 100 more rushing attempts than last year. But we seem to be taking less deep shots and when we do, we haven't been connecting often.

But there is still time. 7 games remaining and 4 of them at home. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad thing as far as points go. We're 4-0 at home but only score 21 PPG. We score 26.4 PPG on the road.

Offense: Home 21.0 PPG / Road 26.4 PPG
Defense: Home 13.0 PPG / Road 20.4 PPG

• 1 / 1
5 posts Nov 26 2020