57 posts
  • 1 / 6
 by aeneas1
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

so is it time for mcvay to cough up the "genius" cap and hand it over to staley? sure is looking that way.... staley is just 38, this is just his 4th year in the nfl, and it's just his first year as an nfl coordinator, yet he's shutting down nfl offenses in a year when nfl offenses are lighting up the scoreboard.

staley's #1 ranked defense in offensive points allowed has been ram tough - through 9 games they've given up more than the league average in offensive points allowed in a game just once, against the bill, that's it, just once... yes, they've faced some bad offenses, 5 currently rank 24th or worse in offensive scoring, but against these bad offenses the rams d has done what top defenses do, they shut them down - the rams d held these mooks to an average of just 11.8 offensive points per game, and none scored over 20.

and when the league's top scoring offense came to town, a team averaging a whopping 34+ offensive points per game, a team that put up an average of 33.3 offensive points per game against the three top 10 defenses it had faced through week 9, staley's boys shut them down too, to a tune of just 16 offensive points allowed.

meanwhile, back at the offensive scoring tumbleweed ranch, mcvay's guys are mired in mediocrity at best - they currently rank middle of the pack in scoring and have scored above the league average in a game just 3 times in their 9 outings, in a year when teams are scoring in droves, i'm still trying to wrap my head around that one, they've scored above the league average just three times... even against the 30th and 31st ranked defenses in points allowed, the rams offense couldn't manage to top the league average in points scored, and against the top 4 defenses they've faced through week 10, ranked 13th, 11th, 7th and 6th, the rams offense managed a paltry 18.8 points per game on average, good grief - did i mention that offenses are lighting up the league this season? again, good grief.

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Not only is Brandon Staley a wiz at the X's and O's...
...but he seems a big hit also with the Jimmy's and Joe's! :idea2: :arrow2: 8-)

To wit....
Look at how Leonardo di Floyd has reacted to rejoining his former Bears LB Coach eh! Floyd's sacks yesterday gave him a total of 6, which already matches his 16-game highwater mark of his rookie year if IIRC.....
and with still almost half a season to go yet!! :shock2: :arrow2: 8-)
ME: DANTE WHO??? :P

....And mah man, Justin Hollins, the guy Bronco HC Fangio forgot to protect on Cut Day (and purloined by Staley), has 2 sacks already in his limited snaps! BTW, Floyd is 6'5" and 240 lbs, and Hollins is 6'5" and 248 lbs. Can you say MadStork Ram Bookends???!!! :lol2:

....and Staley is resourceful too! When Top 2019 Rams Draft Pick Taylor Rapp ends up as Obo's Assistant at Reggie's Pool Lifeguard Station, does Staley cry into his Budweiser???!!

NOPE!! Instead he coaches up a 199th Overall Pick Rookie, and transforms Fuller into a starting NFL safetyman!!! 8-)

I tell ya....(in my best Jerry Seinfeld)....this Staley guy is a regular Svenghalli!! :shock2: :arrow2: :lol2:

by Elvis
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Was gonna start a thread wondering if we have the NFLs best defense because, well, we just might but I’ll put that thought here instead...

by ramsman34
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

The position we ALL were trippin on off-season was edge. That positions is going to be an absolute strength come playoffs. Obo coming back added to Flo and the Lewis - all getting great 1 on 1s bc of AD. Even Brockers is getting in the mix. This is going to be a top 1-3 D come post season.

Now cmon O. Just get a bit more consistent and score and other 7/game on average and crappy STs might not even matter.

by safer
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Not "going to"--IS a TOP THREE D right now!
#2 in points given up (includes special team and offensive blunders)
#2 in passing yards allowed per game
#2 in overall yards allowed per game
#5 in rushing yards allowed per game.
Per ESPN stats
Like stated before in this post, our mostly unproven, young rush ends are turning into terrors!
Our MLBER core is solid, much to our delight (Still miss Cory, though)
AND--after this week, I think we now have the top pair of corners in the league!
Wow, did Ramsey and Williams ball out!
Yes, our O is very pedestrian now, avging 24+ per game---but just getting that up to 28 or so, would put us back into the top 10.

by PARAM
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:Not "going to"--IS a TOP THREE D right now!
#2 in points given up (includes special team and offensive blunders)
#2 in passing yards allowed per game
#2 in overall yards allowed per game
#5 in rushing yards allowed per game.
Per ESPN stats
Like stated before in this post, our mostly unproven, young rush ends are turning into terrors!
Our MLBER core is solid, much to our delight (Still miss Cory, though)
AND--after this week, I think we now have the top pair of corners in the league!
Wow, did Ramsey and Williams ball out!
Yes, our O is very pedestrian now, avging 24+ per game---but just getting that up to 28 or so, would put us back into the top 10.

Here's some more on that......

As you said.....
#2 in total yards
#5 in rushing yards

#3 in passing yards
#2 in PPG (19.1 PPG and if they measured that without pick 6's, fumble return TDs and ST scores, it would be #1, 16.4 PPG )

They have also allowed the fewest pass plays of 20+ yards (19) and the fewest runs of 20+ yards (1) in the NFL.

Of the 5 teams ranked top 5 in total yards allowed per game, the Colts are the only other D who ranks top 5 in all three.....Total yds per game, pass yards per game, rush yards per game.

We're not talking 4 games or even a third of a season. The sample size is considerable...9 games....more than half. This just in......the Rams have a top of the league D.

Now a bit more perspective.....we face the defense right behind us on Monday. So this should be a tough game for each side.

by HellRam
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
Starter

Drastic improvement from Wade to Staley. Really hope we keep this guy for more then a year. Just one more year, thats all I want.

by sloramfan
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

fantastic thread guys.. and without knowing the stats, i created the "statement made" post...

and as usual, my eyes see what all of you show in hard facts/stats...

just after the game, i went right into "shit!, i hope this guy doesn't get a head job after this year"....

anyhow, he won't last long with the kind of job he's doing...

go rams

slo

p.s. don't forget to give the talent the rams have amassed some credit..they are the one's that are doing it on the field....

by Kid Charlamagne
3 years 4 months ago
 Total posts:   533  
Veteran

Hope not, the word is already getting out and just look at the guys that used to work here. LaFleur is going to the playoffs again and the bengals look like a real football team.

• 1 / 6
57 posts Apr 19 2024