24 posts
  • 3 / 3
 by FMulder
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   192  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

A few things for me. I know the defense has kept scoring down overall and played well in the second half but it seems as if they lack overall speed-especially with the LBers. Every time there was a cutback it seemed no body was there to stop it. There is a lack of gang tackling and frankly they were physically manhandled IMO. 2-3 defenders should not be going backwards for another 2-3 yards post impact and I saw a ton of that last night. The missed tackles, lack of speed, and frankly lack of toughness showed last night.

Offensively McVay has this habit at times of just falling into a negative rhythm. Don’t get me wrong, he is an offensive genius and when he (and obviously the offense) is on it is hard for anyone to stop. Still, it was as if the first 2-3 series he was bound and determined to get away from the run and try to establish the pass early on. Where was Akers? Doesn’t Jefferson deserve more than 3 snaps. Is he that behind the curve? Like I said, he is a great HC and Offensive strategist but last night was not one of his best games by a long stretch.

Finally, what is going on with Special Teams? If Sloman hasn’t learned how to get height on PATs at this point you have to cut your losses. Webster looked quick and decisive and close to breaking some and yet we go back, once again, to Kupp who just is not a punt returner.

The positive take away is that there were plays to be made and IF they were made we may be talking about a hard fought win. Add to that mistakes by guys who generally don’t make them (Whitworth, Woods, Kupp) and you feel confident this was just one of those games were plays weren’t made, uncharacteristic mistakes were made, and the coaching was less than stellar.

The Chicago game is huge. If they win that they are in good shape just off the bye. If not I fear this team could face a similar downturn in losses much like they did last season.

by moklerman
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:NOPE!!! SF wanted the game more than us!
This seemed to really be the case. 49ers seemed to really care about winning while the Rams seemed to just be going through the motions.

I guess it is going to have to seem that way in a bad loss but the Rams just didn't seem like their hearts were in it.

by Hacksaw
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Just a segue between our SF Game "Mistakes" thread and the thread that reads "Sloman is Gonzo, DingDong The Witch Is Dead!".....or words to that effect: ;)

Sloman's missed PAT on Sunday had McVay trailing the 49ers 21-9, or 2 TDs, when we had 4th Down on the Niners' 2 yardline in the 3rd Quarter. McVay went for it, BECAUSE WE WERE DOWN 2 TDs, and Goff threw the pick, sinking us.
BUT....
Had Sam Sloman actually made the PAT, we wudda been down 21-10 and McVay cudda kicked the FG making us just down ONE TD (and 2-point convert) 21-13.

Sloman's missed PAT messed with McVay's in-game options for the very first time in 2020....
....and that's why Sloman is gone IMO. :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

• 3 / 3
24 posts Apr 16 2024