CLOSE
13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
1 week ago
 Total posts:   14438  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

4th quarter qb stats, headed into week 6, not too shabby!

01.png

and a few other goodies....

8 qbs have a qb rating over 100 in both halves of football headed into week 6, while 16 have a qb rating under 100 in both halves.

02.png

offensive points scored and allowed rankings by half.

03.png

rams pass ratio when in the redzone, when at the 10 or closer, when at the 5 or closer:

06.png

as a % of total plays, the rams offense ranks 1st in fewest plays stopped for no gain or a loss, 6th in most plays of 15+ yards, 3rd in most plays of 20+ yards, 5th in most plays of 30+ yards and 2nd in most plays of 40+ yards.

x01.png

defensively, the rams rank 8th in most plays stopped for no gain or a loss, 2nd in fewest plays of 15+ yards allowed, 1st in fewest plays of 20+ allowed, 5th in fewest plays of 30+ yards allowed and 2nd in fewest plays of 40+ yards allowed.

x02.png

by CRamsFly
1 week ago
 Total posts:   74  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

Damn impressive! Let's keep it going, Rams!! 8-)

by moklerman
1 week ago
 Total posts:   7068  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Seems odd that McVay, being known as a passing guru, would pass so little in the red zone.

by snackdaddy
1 week ago
 Total posts:   7280  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Some good stuff A1! I'm thinking our 2017/2018 Goff is back!

by aeneas1
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:Some good stuff A1! I'm thinking our 2017/2018 Goff is back!

goff's having a solid year, but he's also throwing far more shorter, higher percentage passes than he's ever thrown before, by a wide margin, which is driving a lot of his numbers, especially his high completion %... and it's clearly by design, check downs aren't driving it, and it's something we haven't seen from mcvay before.... headed into week 6 no qb has a lower depth of pass average than goff, his average is even lower than brees (who is next to last), a guy who finishes very near the bottom, or at the very bottom, year in and year out.

goff's average depth of pass:

2020 - 5.7
2019 - 7.3
2018 - 8.2
2017 - 8.0

but guess what? goff ranks 2nd best in completion % on passes of 20 yards or more in the air.... he's 7 of 10 for a 70% completion rate, the league average is just 41.4%... the flipside is goff also ranks 27th in pass attempts of 20+ yards in the air (as a % of total pass attempts) - only 6.9% of his passes have been thrown 20+ yards in the air vs a league average of 10.8%.

comparatively rodgers ranks 1st in most attempts of 20+ yards in the air, 20.1% of his passes have been 20+ yards in the air, and he's completed 48.1% of them.

in other news, here's a look at what goff has done in the redzone, 10 yards and in, and 5 yards and in under mcvay:

01.png

by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5677  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

I don't have/know the numbers but I'm fairly sure the further passes fly the lower the percentage of completion. So the fact Goff is completing such a high percentage may be a result of defenses expecting/defending more rigorously, the shorter passes. McVay may be creating a better opportunity to complete those longer passes by calling all those shorter ones. What is Brees' annual percentage of longer passes?

by CRamsFly
1 week ago
 Total posts:   74  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

PARAM wrote:I don't have/know the numbers but I'm fairly sure the further passes fly the lower the percentage of completion. So the fact Goff is completing such a high percentage may be a result of defenses expecting/defending more rigorously, the shorter passes. McVay may be creating a better opportunity to complete those longer passes by calling all those shorter ones. What is Brees' annual percentage of longer passes?

The cool thing is that we know the Rams haven't forgotten to pass deep and the new trend of passing shorter is a new wrinkle in the play designs - more confusion and worry for the opposing defenses. Also, the shorter passes have been accurate, allowing our receivers to get high YAC.

by /zn/
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5732  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

We begged them for a couple of years to build in a short passing game. And, here it is.

I suspect O'Connell was a big contributor to this.

Gets the qb in sync and comfortable.
Helps the OL. And that is combined with OL improvement in its own right.
They've designed it to include built YAC plays.
Gives them more options because they still have the medium and deep passes. More varied attack.

by aeneas1
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

CRamsFly wrote:The cool thing is that we know the Rams haven't forgotten to pass deep and the new trend of passing shorter is a new wrinkle in the play designs - more confusion and worry for the opposing defenses. Also, the shorter passes have been accurate, allowing our receivers to get high YAC.

mcvay's new short passing game has been interesting to watch unfold and, as i mentioned earlier in the season, it seems clear that it was installed (at least in very large part) to protect the oline and goff in pass pro, i.e. to put the oline in a position to succeed... looking at goff's average depth of passes thru the years, it's impossible not to realize that the deeper averages of previous years no doubt required more time from the oline.

the category that's seen the biggest increase is passes behind the line of scrimmage - only two teams (lac and car) have thrown behind the line of scrimmage more often the rams this year, the rams rate is 21.4% vs a league average of 15.4%, comparatively the browns and dolphins rates are at 6.5% and 9.6% respectively.... i would say mcvay's insistence on trying to get the screen game working this year, with mixed results, has driven the behind the line of scrimmage pass rate up in 2020.

here's a look at the rams numbers since mcvay has been hc - passes blos are up 32% in 2020 vs previous years while passes of 20+ yards are down 36%, passes of 11-19 yards are down 13%, and passes of 11+ yards are down 20%.

03.png

all of this said, i'm not trying to frame mcvay's change in offensive philosophy this season as a negative, not at all, instead i'm just pointing it out - i'm from the school of whatever the hell works! btw, goff has been nails this season on passes of 0-10 yards, his completion rate on such passes is 84.5%, the highest of his career, and good for 2nd highest headed into week 6.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Oct 25 2020