94 posts
  • 3 / 10
 by Hacksaw
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

ramsman34 wrote:That’s Awesome. “All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, a Rams beat down of the Whiners, and I’m fine”.
You kinda remind me of Jeff Spicoli. Wait, no, that’s Hacksaw.

Totally bruh! And remember,,
"People on 'ludes shouldn't drive".
Aaugh, "That was my skull! I'm so wasted"! lol

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38458  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley – Media Availability – October 14, 2020

(On whether he has had a defensive player record four sacks in a game before)
"Not in the NFL. In college, several times where I was at. But, not in the NFL. When I was with (Chicago DL) Khalil (Mack), (Denver LB) Von (Miller), (Denver LB) Bradley (Chubb), those guys, they never had four in a game. There were some great performances, but not four. So certainly, (DL) Aaron (Donald) had a performance to remember.”

(On if he’s ever been sacked four times by the same player when he was playing quarterback)
“No, I have not. That would be an interesting stat to see, for sure. It was a result of a really good team performance. Certainly, a tremendous individual performance by him. But, I felt like we executed as a team and played a lot of clean football. So, very happy for him though. You know, you could see that he was really aggressive. You could see that he was really comfortable and certainly looking forward to more of that.”

(On what he is seeing on film from Donald’s performance all the while teams are specifically game planning for him)
“We're game planning too. I think that we have a tremendous coaching staff here, top to bottom. We do a lot of things to think about Aaron Donald and we have a lot of anticipation of how guys on the other side are going to try and game plan for him, both in the run game and the pass game. Certainly, a player like him is always at the front of your game plans. So, I felt like going into that game plan, I think we had a really good idea of how they were going to go about their game plan for Aaron. We had some things set up that we felt like could give him some opportunities and fortunately we played a really good team game. We got the lead early. (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and the offense did an outstanding job of getting a lead. We were really good in field position and it's one of those things where you're able to settle in and kind of get in a roll and then the conditions kind of favored us from a weather standpoint. The next thing you know, he's in a rhythm and when good players like that get into a rhythm, they're tough to stop.”

(On what the ‘star’ position means defensively)
“It's a position that kind of combines several different skillsets. You're a little bit of a corner, you're a little bit of a safety, a little bit of a linebacker – inside linebacker and outside linebacker because you're kind of a rusher too. So, it's a spot that you have to possess all those qualities of those four positions. You've got to be able to process because things happen quickly inside. So, you need a guy that can see and a guy that can think and operate quickly. So, those are things that he does well. We felt like he's a defensive back, he's not just a corner. We feel like he can play a lot of different positions for us and we feel like he fits that role extremely well. It gives us some versatility there and I’ve been pleased with the way he's played in there.”

(On if this the ‘star’ concept was something he always intended to bring to Los Angeles or if it came to be because of the skillset provided by Ramsey)
“Yeah, our defenses where I was at in college were set up that way for that position. When I was at John Carroll (University), our best player, a guy by the name of Javan Dawson, one of the best players to ever play at John Carroll, we ran our defense through him. In college, it's got to be that way with how the game is set up. But I feel like when I was fortunate to get this opportunity and knew that (CB) Jalen (Ramsey) was going to be a part of it, I felt like his skills really are uniquely suited for that position. I think that the way that the game is in the NFL, where the passing game is a lot inside and so much more three-receiver
groupings, even in the run game, he can provide a lot that way too in the perimeter run defense. Then, as a rusher because he's such a good athlete. He’s got such good instincts. He can give you a really good blitz threat too. I think that Jalen Ramsey is a natural player at star. I think that anybody that knows his game going back from when he was in high school knows that this is what he's capable of doing. I see him like a LeBron James is used in the basketball court, where he's a positionless player. He plays some point guard, he plays some three, he plays some four, he guards fives and he's what his team needs to be in that particular game in order for them to be successful. That's what makes him one of the best players of all time and congratulations to LeBron, a fellow Ohio guy, we're back in L.A. together. So, excited for him, but I feel like Jalen’s that same way. We're going to put him where we feel like it's best and fortunate he's got skill sets to be able to move him around some.”

(On whether LB Troy Reeder’s performance earned him more playing time)
“We certainly have confidence in him. I think he's earned our confidence in a big way. I think the progress that all three of those inside linebackers have made early in the season is something that we're pleased with. I know I made the comment about (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Coach) Joe B (Barry) and the amazing work he's done with (LB) Kenny (Young) and (LB) Micah (Kiser). Then certainly, (LB) Troy (Reeder) stepping in there. I know Troy played a lot of ball last year, but for Troy to come in, in a game like that and play as well as he did is such a testament to Joe B (Barry) and his coaching. He’s definitely earned our confidence and we feel like we've got three capable guys there. Certainly, excited to hopefully get Micah back.”

(On any similarities and differences of opponents double-teaming Aaron Donald to when he coached Khalil Mack and Von Miller)
“Yeah, certainly. Players like that, kind of transcendent players, they make other people better. They make other people better in a lot of different ways through their example, their practice habits, the way they are, their focus, the preparation, all those intangible qualities. But then certainly, when game plans are engineered for those guys, you're able to set up more away from those players and create more isolations for other people. They help their teammates immensely and in both ways and I think that the thing about Aaron, if you were privy to some of the coaches’ copies, just the joy that he has when other players make plays. If you watched the last play of the game, when (S) Jordan Fuller makes a nice play, I mean, Aaron's jumping up and down so excited. When (DL) Sebastian Joseph (Day) makes a great play on a screen, watch him on the sideline. Watch when (LB) Jachai Polite and (DL) Morgan Fox kind of combine on a pressure sack backed up. He just has such a great way for his teammates. He loves football and you can never overstate what type of teammate he is.”

(On how the defense has capitalized on opportunities when Donald gets double-teamed and other players end up in one-on-one situations as a result)
“What we've been able to do, is show that there's other people within our front, within our defense that have made plays. I think that that's what you're looking for, is balance within your defense, where you have people in the other 10 positions that can make plays for you. I think within our secondary, our second level, and then our front, I think you've seen a variety of people in the game playing and then also producing. I think that that's what good defenses and good teams do is that they have players through all three levels of the defense that can play at a winning football level.”

(On LB Terrell Lewis’ performance in his first NFL game)
“It was exciting for (LB) Terrell (Lewis) to get out there. I know it was a homecoming for him going back to D.C. So, very excited for him. He's worked really hard to get back. I think he's shown real toughness and resilience. It's never easy to go through the injury part of the NFL. He was able to hang in there. Our medical staff, (Vice President of Sports Performance and Medicine) Reggie (Scott), (Manager of Sports Science/Assistant Athletic Trainer) Tyler (Williams), they did a great job getting them back. We were able to get his feet wet in that game and get some experience. I think he got 14 snaps. (Outside Linebackers Coach) Chris Shula did an outstanding job with the rotation with all those guys, but Terrell was able to show his stuff. I thought that he played good football for us. He looked confident and comfortable within that role. We just got to continue to work every single day to grow him and within all of our packages and just increase his football knowledge and he's a really willing guy and he's going to get better every time he goes out there.”

(On other players playing the ‘star’ position and his assessment of LB Jachai Polite)
“We've repped really four stars throughout camp and up until this season, we've repped (CB) Troy Hill, as you guys know, we've repped (CB) David Long (Jr.), we've repped (S) Terrell Burgess and we've repped Jalen. We've kind of had a four-person rotation there. Then we've had some young guys (CB) Tyrique McGhee who's been doing a good job as a young guy. So, really five guys. Feel like that's a strength of our defense is trying to cross-train people. You're always trying to create depth within your system. Being such a five and six DB type of league, you’ve got be able to cross-train people at different positions. We’re repping four different dime monies. You've seen (S) Taylor (Rapp), (S) John Johnson (III), (S) Jordan Fuller, Terrell Burgess, all these guys be able to play that role too. You need to do that to be able to sustain a full season because of what happens injury-wise and also matchup-wise. We really believe that in being able to teach and have a teaching progression where guys can learn multiple positions without slowing them down, because you never want to do that. We've got outstanding coaches, (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey Pleasant, (Safeties Coach Ejiro) ‘EJ’ Evero, (Defensive Quality Control) John Cooley. Those guys are doing a great job back there with those players and it's a winning edge for us because you got to create depth as you guys have all seen every Sunday or Monday, whenever people play. Something happens where you have to adjust. That's one way you're able to kind of endure that is to be able to create the depth within your team. As for (LB) Jachai (Polite), like I spoke about last week, that's a really competitive position. He gets better when he goes out there. He gives us some pass rush. We’re trying to really work him into our rotation and he's continuing to earn playing time. He's got to continue to improve in all phases of his game, not just pass rush. You certainly see him flash out there and we're excited about his progress and that whole group. There's a lot of young players in there and like I said, improvement is really what we're after with that group.”

(On the impact of the injuries to S Jordan Fuller and OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo)
“Disappointed for them. Certainly because they're playing so well. But, we’ve got depth that those positions and we're going to have to move forward with those other four guys at outside rusher. We feel like (LB) Justin Hollins is playing really good football for us. (LB) Samson (Ebukam), (LB) Terrell (Lewis), (LB) Jachai (Polite) and then obviously (LB) Leonard (Floyd) leading that group. Then in the safety position, we've got Taylor (Rapp) and John (Johnson III). Certainly, (S) Terrell (Burgess) and then (S) Nick Scott and (CB) Juju (Hughes) are doing a nice job for us too. So, all those guys kind of have to emerge and pick up where both those two guys left off.”

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8525  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Seems we might be starting to climb to at least radar level. Although, I wish these pundits would just ignore us for a while longer. More pressure to beat the crap outta the whiners:

https://www.nfl.com/news/sorry-undefeat ... -best-team

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8525  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:

I think Staley is just starting to get into his deep bag of tricks to get AD iso'd as often as possible. It might be harder without Fuller in coverage. Also, I think we will see a very heavy dose of the run game from SF as well as very quick passes: screens, wheels to backs, and short/intermediate down the hashes to Kittle as well as Kittle in the flats. They do have a good OL. Will be quite the challenge for Staley and the pass rush.

• 3 / 10
94 posts Apr 19 2024