52 posts
  • 5 / 6
 by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:seeing that you continue to think tyrod's single game is a meaningful comparison metric... a 22.3 average is 3 tds+ better than bradford's last full game as a starter., you know that right? in fact i can see how a 22.3 average would blow your mind given bradford never managed it, and finished his career leading his teams to a 17.1 per game average (15.9 rams, 21.3 eagles, 18.9 vikes, 6.7 cards).

:D
You do realize when you bring up Bradford, it just means you've got nothing to say? That you're deflecting?

I honestly don't think you even care about the subject, you just have to disagree with me. But, prove me wrong. Explain why you think Taylor's game this year and career overall isn't enough of a sample size? Is it your belief that Taylor would be producing at the same level as Herbert?

It may only be one game but it's pretty much what he is. On top of that, it's not like they had to face the Ravens or Steelers or Chiefs, etc. It was the Bengals. And Tyrod produced 0 TD's and completed 53% of his passes. In his career, he has passed for 54 TD in 71 games played. He can protect the ball to some degree but that's it. He doesn't produce much.

He showed that in his first start. With the same exact team and coaches, Herbert is blowing him away statistically. So, what exactly are you arguing about?

by Hacksaw
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Just with the eye test, Herbert from training camp has a better arm and throws a beautiful ball. Hard Knocks even did a few segments on the #6 pick new wonder kid. 6'6" 235, big arm and Taylor not a fixture with the team. He'll be a trivia question one day, 'what QB started 1 game between Rivers and Herbert'? Unless they keep losing.

It's too bad that the medical staff 'deflated' TT who is also a good QB. They may have even won more games to date this year.
Herbert is clearly the future but experience means a lot. That's where TT has the advantage now.
Who knows, Herbert may have done even better getting more game-days under his belt learning while on the bench.
If SD keep losing, I wouldn't be surprised to see TT get the nod possibly in time to save Lynn's arse. Reps are good for JH but at the cost of their season?

by CRamsFly
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   176  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Hacksaw wrote:Just with the eye test, Herbert from training camp has a better arm and throws a beautiful ball. Hard Knocks even did a few segments on the #6 pick new wonder kid. 6'6" 235, big arm and Taylor not a fixture with the team. He'll be a trivia question one day, 'what QB started 1 game between Rivers and Herbert'? Unless they keep losing.

It's too bad that the medical staff 'deflated' TT who is also a good QB. They may have even won more games to date this year.
Herbert is clearly the future but experience means a lot. That's where TT has the advantage now.
Who knows, Herbert may have done even better getting more game-days under his belt learning while on the bench.
If SD keep losing, I wouldn't be surprised to see TT get the nod possibly in time to save Lynn's arse. Reps are good for JH but at the cost of their season?

This is an interesting take, Hacksaw, but not one that I share. I expect the Chargers to keep riding with Herbert, unless he's injured or plays badly, like "Garrapolo against the Dolphins badly". Worst case, Herbert keeps playing well (or decently) and the Chargers lose more games, but then Lynn has a built in excuse - "we're losing but we're getting Herbert ready for next season". Otherwise, if TT starts but the Chargers lose anyway, then Lynn would be in a "hotter" seat, in my opinion.

But to be honest, I don't really care what happens to the Chargers. :lol2:

And one final note, after this Sunday, we hope we have a new benchmark for Garrapolo's play - "Garrapolo against the Rams badly". :twisted2:

by Hacksaw
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

CRamsFly wrote:This is an interesting take, Hacksaw, but not one that I share. I expect the Chargers to keep riding with Herbert, unless he's injured or plays badly, like "Garrapolo against the Dolphins badly". Worst case, Herbert keeps playing well (or decently) and the Chargers lose more games, but then Lynn has a built in excuse - "we're losing but we're getting Herbert ready for next season". Otherwise, if TT starts but the Chargers lose anyway, then Lynn would be in a "hotter" seat, in my opinion.

But to be honest, I don't really care what happens to the Chargers. :lol2:

And one final note, after this Sunday, we hope we have a new benchmark for Garrapolo's play - "Garrapolo against the Rams badly". :twisted2:

Love it. A prime time beat down by the Rams would be awesome. Hoping we come out and dominate. 5-1 has a nice ring to it and that would bury the Neiners.

Also agreed, SD can lose all the game on their schedule for all I care.

You are likely correct about Herbert or bust unless he craps the bed over a few game stretch. Teams will figure out his tendencies and may scheme him differently as a result. With Eckler out they are vulnerable to become more 1 dimensional. JH can extend plays but he takes some risks too.
Either / or, I will enjoy watching them possibly melt down.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:As fans, we should have a less clear picture of what a QB could do. That an NFL coach seems to not be able to see the better option is cause for criticism, wouldn't you say?

But you pretend to know what's in the coaches mind concerning the evaluation of the QB and that's a less clear picture than what a QB could do. Wouldn't you say?

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38495  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

You might argue Lynn is doing it just right: Showing the utmost respect for Taylor who had his lung punctured by the team doctor while continuing to put the best QB on the field...

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You might argue Lynn is doing it just right: Showing the utmost respect for Taylor who had his lung punctured by the team doctor while continuing to put the best QB on the field...

...but some think or suppose, if Taylor were healthy he'd still be the starter, when in fact we don't know how the last 4 weeks would have played out. It's trying to arrive at a decision without having 80% of the facts.

by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:You might argue Lynn is doing it just right: Showing the utmost respect for Taylor who had his lung punctured by the team doctor while continuing to put the best QB on the field...
Lynn said that Taylor would remain the starter even after Herbert got some playing time. Since then his tune might have changed but he chose Taylor as the starter and he was going to stick with him as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Seems very much like he's guilty of adhering to a principle rather than just doing what's best for the team.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Lynn said that Taylor would remain the starter even after Herbert got some playing time. Since then his tune might have changed but he chose Taylor as the starter and he was going to stick with him as recently as a couple of weeks ago.

Seems very much like he's guilty of adhering to a principle rather than just doing what's best for the team.

You keep inferring he'd be making a mistake by not starting a green rookie. And I assume you mean if the rookie leads the team to 4 wins out of 15, that would be good for the team. Sure, in 2021 but will it be Lynn's team? The head coach's job is to WIN. That seems to be the one fact you're ignoring.

by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:You keep inferring he'd be making a mistake by not starting a green rookie. And I assume you mean if the rookie leads the team to 4 wins out of 15, that would be good for the team. Sure, in 2021 but will it be Lynn's team? The head coach's job is to WIN. That seems to be the one fact you're ignoring.
That's just silly. The QB is the most important position on the team and Herbert is putting more points on the board while not hurting the team with mistakes and turnovers. Playing the better QB is a good first step to winning games.

• 5 / 6
52 posts Apr 24 2024