29 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by Ramsdude
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Not crushed by the loss at all but I am concerned about some of the tackling I have been seeing from our D. It's been too inconsistent so far. The Bills had guys WIDE open too many times today. It seems we might still be "thinking" too much trying to learn this new Staley D.

The second half adjustments have been ok but how the hell do you give up a 3rd and 22? As for the penalty at the end, that was very upsetting. We've had a call go for us against the 'pokes and this one went against us. I guess it evens out.

Personally, I think the NFL wants the Bills to be this years "darling" team. I expect them to get many more calls this year.

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:Not crushed by the loss at all but I am concerned about some of the tackling I have been seeing from our D. It's been too inconsistent so far. The Bills had guys WIDE open too many times today. It seems we might still be "thinking" too much trying to learn this new Staley D.

The second half adjustments have been ok but how the hell do you give up a 3rd and 22? As for the penalty at the end, that was very upsetting. We've had a call go for us against the 'pokes and this one went against us. I guess it evens out.

Personally, I think the NFL wants the Bills to be this years "darling" team. I expect them to get many more calls this year.

I was thinking of the same thing about the Bills and the refs helping them this year.

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

also, fwiw, this is the 5th time the rams have lost under mcvay when putting up more than 30 points in a game, their record is now 21-5 (.808) when they score more than 30 points - the rest of the league's winning percentage is .850 when scoring more than 30 points in a game, alas.

by Ramsdude
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:also, fwiw, this is the 5th time the rams have lost under mcvay when putting up more than 30 points in a game, their record is now 21-5 (.808) when they score more than 30 points - the rest of the league's winning percentage is .850 when scoring more than 30 points in a game, alas.

That says something about our D for sure. That 3rd and 22 was the clincher IMO. Why do the Rams ALWAYS seem to let other teams convert LARGE distance 3rd downs? It's been that way for a loooong time! I remember Tony Romo scramble for about 20 minutes against us years ago and convert. The Farty Whiners did it to us last year. The Bills did it to us this year.

I wonder what the longest 3rd or 4th down conversion allowed was and what team allowed it. Could it be the Rams? We might be up there when it comes to the most amount of times it's happened. I never feel comfortable with our D when it's 3rd and "forever". :roll2:

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Simply, my theory has always been to take the season in quarters. We have next week at home against the weak g men. We should and better pound them. That will make us 3-1 in the first 1/4 of the season. I was hoping for that. 4-0 is of course better but, we good at 3-1. Just Mia take care of business next Sunday.

I have not watched the game as I was in a flight (international, no internet). I will either when I return or at some point here on vacation.

Losses like these can be spun to the positive by staff and vets. Something to grow from and build upon.

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Ramsdude wrote:That says something about our D for sure. That 3rd and 22 was the clincher IMO. Why do the Rams ALWAYS seem to let other teams convert LARGE distance 3rd downs? It's been that way for a loooong time! I remember Tony Romo scramble for about 20 minutes against us years ago and convert. The Farty Whiners did it to us last year. The Bills did it to us this year.

I wonder what the longest 3rd or 4th down conversion allowed was and what team allowed it. Could it be the Rams? We might be up there when it comes to the most amount of times it's happened. I never feel comfortable with our D when it's 3rd and "forever". :roll2:

2017-2020 (week 2), 15+ yards to go on 3rd/4th down, only the texans have given up a higher success rate than the rams, league success rate is 10.5% while rams have allowed a success rate of 16.7%... also, fwiw, 3rd/4th down plays of 15+ yards to go made up 8.7% of all 3rd/4th down plays from 2017-2020 (week 2):

01.png

by AvengerRam
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

There has to be something positive about fighting to the last play in a game that looked like a blowout.

by /zn/
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The O line is playing real well and the entire offense is playing like they had all the OTA's, a full camp and preseason. The defense is led by the new kid on the block, so they are still mastering his scheme. But they have played extremely well in each of the games second halves.

Nothing to be upset about IMHO. This team is good. And they're back.

That's how I feel.

Though as a sidenote, I want the D to stop giving up 1st downs on 3rd and 16 or more with the game on the line. That doesn't erase my feeling that the team showed incredible heart and resilience coming back from 25 points down, which is the dominant thing for me. But still, you know...clean that up please.

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

i thought mcvay did a bad job of putting the oline in a position to succeed in the first half against the bills, a lot less moving of the pocket, sweeps and misdirection than we've seen in the two previous games it seemed, and instead a lot more straight dropbacks.... but it also seemed that in the second half mcvay returned to the stuff that has worked, and it paid dividends, will have to confirm using the all-22 when released.

also, fwiw, according to pff goff completed 71.4% of his passes, threw a td, and booked a 142.3 qb rating when he was pressured against the bills.

goff's stats by half:

02.png

• 2 / 3
29 posts Apr 18 2024