24 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

coach's film of all of goff's passes from week 2, in order... watching the film it was amazing to see just how dominating the rams were on their first 4 offensive drives, the eagles had no idea if the rams were coming or going, it was a shame that the 4th drive bogged down because it was just as impressive as the first 3 until the end, and because it would have made it 4 tds on every drive of the first half (excluding the 1-play end of half drive).

i gotta say tho, i don't see how mcvay's scheme doesn't cause front 7 defenders to take a cheap shot out of sheer frustration from time to time, frustration from being tricked into biting so often, from being tricked into chasing ghosts so often, from having to reverse course and sprint in the opposite direction so often!

so far this season the rams have reached the opponent redzone on 10 of their 17 possessions, and have scored on 10 of their 17 possessions - against the eagles the rams ended every drive but one on the eagles side of the field.

01.png

first half:

second half:

noteboom injury:

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Looks like the league has figured out McVay, eh?

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

With Jalen Hurts lurking, Eagles’ Carson Wentz shows he’s no Jared Goff, or even Dak Prescott.
Marcus Hayes - Posted: September 21, 2020 - 5:00 AM
The Philadelphia Enquirer
https://www.inquirer.com/sports/eagles- ... 00921.html

Jared Goff was excellent Sunday afternoon, and he won. Dak Prescott threw for 450 yards, accounted for four touchdowns, and completed his ninth fourth-quarter comeback.

Meanwhile, Carson Wentz lost his second game in a row, largely because Carson Wentz stunk for the second game in a row.

After Wentz’s second straight disaster, it’s time to see what Jalen Hurts can do. He was active Sunday, ahead of veteran Nate Sudfeld, so we know the Eagles believe he’s ready to run the team. Hurts even entered the game for three plays — all as a decoy, yes. But now his feet are wet. And the Eagles are 0-2. And in desperate need of energy. Of life.

more...

by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I don't understand. The same people who were giving Goff consideration for not having an elite line, healthy Gurley and no Kupp are now concluding Wentz is trash when his o-line is average at best, Jeffrey's out and he doesn't have a running game. Don't see how this is a fair comparison.

by CRamsFly
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   176  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

moklerman wrote:I don't understand. The same people who were giving Goff consideration for not having an elite line, healthy Gurley and no Kupp are now concluding Wentz is trash when his o-line is average at best, Jeffrey's out and he doesn't have a running game. Don't see how this is a fair comparison.

I agree with you - I posted a longer post in the "Goff vs. Wentz" post, but the bottom line is that any QB will play better when they are protected by their OL and game plan, have a good running game, have good players to throw to, and follow a good game plan. I don't think it should be a surprise that Wentz is playing worse with the OL injuries that they've had. There are no such thing as a "top tier" QB who can carry a bad team.

However, I've seen 2 alarming things about Wentz - one, they drafted Jalen Hurts with the 2nd round pick, and two, his accuracy is off from a clean pocket (no pressure). Even in 2019, when Goff was having a bad year, I don't think his accuracy from a clean pocket was off like this. I hope Aeneas or another poster can confirm this for me. And the Jalen Hurts pick is really alarming - I can't imagine McVay/Sneed doing this. Green Bay did something similar with Rodgers (which I wouldn't have done) but at least Rodgers is older.

by Ramsdude
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

CRamsFly wrote:I agree with you - I posted a longer post in the "Goff vs. Wentz" post, but the bottom line is that any QB will play better when they are protected by their OL and game plan, have a good running game, have good players to throw to, and follow a good game plan. I don't think it should be a surprise that Wentz is playing worse with the OL injuries that they've had. There are no such thing as a "top tier" QB who can carry a bad team.

However, I've seen 2 alarming things about Wentz - one, they drafted Jalen Hurts with the 2nd round pick, and two, his accuracy is off from a clean pocket (no pressure). Even in 2019, when Goff was having a bad year, I don't think his accuracy from a clean pocket was off like this. I hope Aeneas or another poster can confirm this for me. And the Jalen Hurts pick is really alarming - I can't imagine McVay/Sneed doing this. Green Bay did something similar with Rodgers (which I wouldn't have done) but at least Rodgers is older.

Well said and welcome to the RFU family!

by aeneas1
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

CRamsFly wrote:I agree with you - I posted a longer post in the "Goff vs. Wentz" post, but the bottom line is that any QB will play better when they are protected by their OL and game plan, have a good running game, have good players to throw to, and follow a good game plan. I don't think it should be a surprise that Wentz is playing worse with the OL injuries that they've had. There are no such thing as a "top tier" QB who can carry a bad team.

i think there are examples of top tier qbs and qbs that can carry a team, wilson is one and has been doing it for years... wentz? many considered the eagles' 2019 oline to be among the very best in the league yet wentz led the eagles to 15th in offensive scoring and booked a mediocre year.

anyway, re the rams, is the oline greatly improved this year vs last year? what i'm seeing is mcvay getting back to doing what he does best, what he did in 2017 and 2018, putting his oline in a position to succeed by using sweeps, misdirection, moving pockets, quick passes, stretching the d and making outside zone runs more effective, etc., something that he got away from in 2019 imo.

by CRamsFly
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   176  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

aeneas1 wrote:i think there are examples of top tier qbs and qbs that can carry a team, wilson is one and has been doing it for years... wentz? many considered the eagles' 2019 oline to be among the very best in the league yet wentz led the eagles to 15th in offensive scoring and booked a mediocre year.

anyway, re the rams, is the oline greatly improved this year vs last year? what i'm seeing is mcvay getting back to doing what he does best, what he did in 2017 and 2018, putting his oline in a position to succeed by using sweeps, misdirection, moving pockets, quick passes, stretching the d and making outside zone runs more effective, etc., something that he got away from in 2019 imo.

Before saying anything, Aeneas, I just want to say I really appreciate all the work you do bringing us All-22 and mountains of data. And you've been doing it for years, even from the RRF site. So kudos to you!

I agree with you that some QB's are better than others, no doubt. Like your example of Wilson. But I think you'll agree that even when Wilson was playing well, he didn't carry his team to the Superbowl or even Division Championship games. In fact the 2 years that Seattle went to the Superbowl weren't Wilson's best years.

Regarding the Rams, I believe that 2019 Rams performance was a combination of OL injuries (Hav, Noteboom, Allen, and rookies filling in), Gurley/Cooks injuries / performance degradation and just the lack of execution, combined with game planning issues (not adjusting to opponent taking away certain Rams tendencies).

So far in 2020, Hav looks to be recovered from his injury, Corbett/Blyth playing in the same positions they did at the end of last year, Noteboom/Edwards not missing a beat, just better OL continuity and cohesiveness, and better offensive game planning. With all that, the players can execute better and they have. Also, the defense seems improved - looks like Staley has brought some new age wrinkles which have improved the defensive play overall. It's too early to tell yet, but I like what I've seen from the offense and defense so far in 2020. One area of concern is the kicker - I'm not that confident that Sloman will make a game winning FG from 40+ yards.

by 69RamFan
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

moklerman wrote:I don't understand. The same people who were giving Goff consideration for not having an elite line, healthy Gurley and no Kupp are now concluding Wentz is trash when his o-line is average at best, Jeffrey's out and he doesn't have a running game. Don't see how this is a fair comparison.

What the hell are you talking about Wentz not having an elite OL???? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

He has Three,,, let me repeat that again,,, Three... PB/AP players on that front OL... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Week one Wentz was missing only 1 PB/AP player,,, still with two players on there...

While Goff only had 1 OL player with a PB/AP during his full Career...

and only one Skill player that was an PB/AP player in Goff's career...

Going into this game,,, Wentz has a TE that has PB/AP in his past career...

While Goff has none,,, let me repeat,,, None as in skill players.. going into this game...

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

• 1 / 3
24 posts Apr 18 2024