United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

JT with the breakdown. Love his videos.

by snackdaddy
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

When it comes to making throws, Goff is the better pure passer. Wentz has the ability to extend plays. Make plays with his legs in order to make plays with his arm. That has been his strength. But he seems tentative lately. I have to wonder if the injuries are starting to get in his head.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:When it comes to making throws, Goff is the better pure passer. Wentz has the ability to extend plays. Make plays with his legs in order to make plays with his arm. That has been his strength. But he seems tentative lately. I have to wonder if the injuries are starting to get in his head.

You've been watching football for a long time. From the Bobby Douglas days to the current Kyler Murray days. There have always been QBs who make plays with their legs. But you can count on one hand, sans the thumb, how many achieved what was forecasted for them. Why? Because they are made to pay for that part of their game, even with the current over-protections they are afforded. It's fun to watch NCAA QBs run around but NFL QBs make their living in the pocket. When guys are runners, they need to pay and it's always nice to see them take a big hit! IMHO, of course.

by CRamsFly
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   176  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

PARAM wrote:You've been watching football for a long time. From the Bobby Douglas days to the current Kyler Murray days. There have always been QBs who make plays with their legs. But you can count on one hand, sans the thumb, how many achieved what was forecasted for them. Why? Because they are made to pay for that part of their game, even with the current over-protections they are afforded. It's fun to watch NCAA QBs run around but NFL QBs make their living in the pocket. When guys are runners, they need to pay and it's always nice to see them take a big hit! IMHO, of course.

From all of the Hall of Fame QB's, I would argue that there's been only 2 QB's who had good scrambling/running ability - John Elway and Steve Young. However, those 2 were also good passers. In addition to this, while a long QB run or a QB who extends a broken play by scrambling and throwing a long downfield pass might be exciting, how much does this really help a QB's success? Brady, Manning, Marino, Brees, etc. didn't need those types of plays to have HoF careers.

On the flip side, it seems that a "running" QB has a higher risk of catastrophic injury (RG3) or rarely develops into a top-tier passing QB (Vick).

I think the bottom line, is that a QB must be an excellent passer for long-term success. A QB's ability to scramble to gain running yards or to extend plays to make "off-schedule" passes is just cherry on top, and not a necessity for a successful "HoF" type career. And any QB who has long-term success must avoid injuries, so if their style of play increases risk of serious injury, that is not a good trait.

When I look at the current crop of young QB's who have excellent running or scrambling abilities (Jackson, Murray, Allen, Mahomes), I believe they still need to improve their "passing" abilities (make pre and post reads of defenses, progress through reads, make accurate passes with anticipation, etc.) I don't think they will have long-term success unless they continue to improve their passing abilities. The problem I see currently with Wentz is that his passing ability doesn't seem to have improved - in fact, might have regressed. The encouraging thing with Goff is that he seems to have improved in this every year, with a slight set-back in 2019. I also believe that a lot of this has to do with coaching, in improving passing abilities, team execution and calling good plays.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

Those were two I had in mind, Elway and Young. We can add others like Randall Cunningham. Though he was nowhere near those two, he was a good QB who could throw the ball 75 yards, while being a threat to take off. I think Mahomes is more a passer than runner. He's Favre like in his ability to improvise. The others? They're gonna get hurt.

by 69RamFan
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3172  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

moklerman wrote:JT with the breakdown. Love his videos.

Well Lookie here.....

Does that look like a bad OL???

Does that look like bad WR/TEs???

Oh no,,,, its a bad QB.... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
Hall of Fame

Yes, yes, yes AND bad coaching.

But you go ahead and take all of them in favor of all those terrible Rams players that Goff carries on his back.

by PARAM
3 years 6 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Yes, yes, yes AND bad coaching.

But you go ahead and take all of them in favor of all those terrible Rams players that Goff carries on his back.

Man you are really something!!!

Including postseason, Wentz is 31-27 as the Eagles QB. Sure won - loss records are really team records and not always fair to the QB. But the Eagles without Wentz in the lineup are 10-1. :shock2: Wow! The McVay Rams, with Jared Goff under center are 37-16. Without him, they're 0-1.

You are a Ram fan, right?

by moklerman
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:Man you are really something!!!

Including postseason, Wentz is 31-27 as the Eagles QB. Sure won - loss records are really team records and not always fair to the QB. But the Eagles without Wentz in the lineup are 10-1. :shock2: Wow! The McVay Rams, with Jared Goff under center are 37-16. Without him, they're 0-1.

You are a Ram fan, right?
Yes, but I'm an honest PERSON first.

You say the TEAM'S record isn't on the QB but then argue that Wentz is worse than Goff because of...the TEAM'S RECORDS!!! Wentz has put up just as good of numbers as Goff and vice/versa. But are you, as a RAMS fan really going to sit here and argue that the rest of the Eagles are better than the Rams?

by 69RamFan
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   3172  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

moklerman wrote:Yes, yes, yes AND bad coaching.

Yeah,,,

Bad coaching,,, when he wins a SB with a backup QB... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Have you ever thought maybe its not coaching,,,

It could be the QB not listening to the coaching staff?

Or as the Vid you posted,,,, shows that its not coaching,,

Its the QB,,, Missing open WR/TEs... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

The problem is,,, it starts between his ears....

He has a mental issue from what I can see..... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

As I stated,,, the Eagles drafted a QB in the 2nd round...

There is something wrong with that move as far as I'm concern....

• 5 / 8
73 posts Apr 19 2024