14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Elvis
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I don't think the Rams attempted to return a single kick off or punt.

I approve but certainly different than under Bones...

by actionjack
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I don't think the Rams attempted to return a single kick off or punt.

I approve but certainly different than under Bones...

I am not sure Kupp ever had any chance to return a punt. I will miss Bones creativity, I have a feeling our current coach will be very vanilla unfortunately.

by Mr. Sparkle
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

Why do they have Kupp back there in the first place? I must have missed something but inst there a whole bunch of guys that would love the chance for that spot? The risk/reward to have a star WR out there when they could be resting doesn't make sense to me.

by snackdaddy
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

With our offense, the safe play is not a bad thing. Seems like the game plan overall was more conservative on all 3 aspects, offense, defense and special teams. Was that just for this game or a sign of things to come?

by Elvis
3 years 7 months ago
Administrator

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Why do they have Kupp back there in the first place? I must have missed something but inst there a whole bunch of guys that would love the chance for that spot? The risk/reward to have a star WR out there when they could be resting doesn't make sense to me.

I think the idea is a sure handed player to make a fair catch, hence the no return policy...

by Hacksaw
3 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Why do they have Kupp back there in the first place? I must have missed something but inst there a whole bunch of guys that would love the chance for that spot? The risk/reward to have a star WR out there when they could be resting doesn't make sense to me.

I used to have the same concern with Ellard.

by ramsman34
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8523  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:We need to get back to this policy.

So far i'm not loving our new ST coach...

Kickoffs - working if Sloman kicks touchbacks
Kick return, another season where this is a non-factor. Webster is fine.
Punt game - Hecker is the best, doesn't even need a coach.
Punt return - I would err on the side of caution and put Webster back there, and fair catch/let the punt go inside the 10. Only return if it's truly returnable. Can't expose Kupp to extra potential injury.

by Ramsdude
3 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:So far i'm not loving our new ST coach...

Me either Elvis.

I wonder if he picked Sam Lowman for our Kicker and if it was his idea for Kupp to be PR.

by Elvis
3 years 6 months ago
Administrator

Like i said, "so far," i'm not going to make a bunch of snap judgements just yet.

But when we're covering a KO, our coverage doesn't look great to me. I actually think the ideal would be to kick to the goal line, make them return it and you'll, more often than not pin them inside the 25.

At this point in the NFL, i think the return game is virtually obsolete. I realize this goes against the aggressive, always be attacking philosophy of football that you want your team to have but, penalties, turnovers, in most cases, returning a kick is likely to do more harm than good...

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 19 2024