73 posts
  • 1 / 8

Would you sign Colin Kaepernick?

Yes, if the coaching staff believed him to be the best available option to back-up Jared Goff.
39%
Yes. It would make an important statement, even if his skill level is questionable at this point.
3%
No. Even if he is arguably the best option, the attention/distraction he'd bring to the team would override the benefit.
12%
No. Even if he is arguably the best option, I don't like him or his approach, and would not want him on my team.
12%
No. I don't care about his politics or persona. I simply don't believe a QB who has been idle for years could succeed.
33%
 by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I recognize this has the potential to be a real pot-stirrer, but it is topical, so...

The Rams currently don't have an experienced back-up QB.

Colin Kaepernick wants a job.

Consider the poll options carefully, as they are deliberately specific.

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

I've said before and I'll say it again: he's still at least worth a look as a number 2 or 3 QB. Especially backing up a young QB. Doing things like holding the tablet, wearing the headset and being in that small group on the sideline surrounding the starter when the defense is on the field.

I don't think he fits the Rams though. Maybe the San Diego Chargers?

But if Kaepernick is demanding the starting spot somewhere, then no.

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'd definitely side with the coaches. If they wanted him, yes.

You might want to add another yes option. We have "no" for non-football reasons. Maybe there should be a "yes" for non-football reasons though not sure we have any members who would choose it...

by snackdaddy
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I don't believe he's a viable option anymore. Couple that with the distractions, I just don't see any upside.

by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I'd definitely side with the coaches. If they wanted him, yes.

You might want to add another yes option. We have "no" for non-football reasons. Maybe there should be a "yes" for non-football reasons though not sure we have any members who would choose it...

Done!

(Note that, when I added the option, it apparently re-set the vote count so, if you voted early, you may need to vote again.)

by safer
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I've thought about this many times before George Floyd was murdered.
As an older white guy, I'm sure there is still much for me to learn about discrimination and the un level playing field in the U.S.
WHILE AT WORK he chose to use his job to address his platform (and time has ultimately proven him correct about how many abuses there continue to be.) I wish he would have used his fame to voice his opinions in a different way...............but would any other venue have created the attention his did?
The NFL IS a business..........and when one chooses to mix politics with that, you come under a different type of scrutiny. For example, many, many conservative actors are passed over for Hollywood roles, and ESPN has terminated those who have mixed politics with their 100% sports venue. Whether any of this is fair is a totally strong question. But if any of us took a completely controversial stance (openly disrespecting our flag) on something, while we were AT work, we would suffer the same consequences. Putting team first, I would not take on any player whose signing would dominate any and all pressers, after game interviews, etc. Ok, IF we did sign him...........what would be the claims if Goff is still starting? Would we have to hear about race being a factor in that too? Look at Jim Brown. I listen to every word of his I can, because he is a grounded, proven, humanitarian who has experienced it all. What a crazy assed world we live in. Sadly so.

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

safer wrote:(openly disrespecting our flag)

This part is highly debatable and this is not the thread for that debate. We do have one in General Discussion though:

viewtopic.php?p=202922#p202938

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I recognize this has the potential to be a real pot-stirrer, but it is topical, so...

The Rams currently don't have an experienced back-up QB.

Colin Kaepernick wants a job.

Consider the poll options carefully, as they are deliberately specific.
Says who? He walked away from his 49ers contract. Reportedly refused potential backup roles. Priced himself out of the AAF and XFL. Won't consider the CFL.

If he stays unemployed, the memory of his greatness grows. If he comes back and stinks, he throws it all away.

by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Says who? He walked away from his 49ers contract. Reportedly refused potential backup roles. Priced himself out of the AAF and XFL. Won't consider the CFL.

If he stays unemployed, the memory of his greatness grows. If he comes back and stinks, he throws it all away.

I'm taking current reports at face value.

by BobCarl
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:The Rams currently don't have an experienced back-up QB.
Valid reason for getting an experienced QB? Yes.

Topic valid to be brought up? Yes.

Kap or anyone else, I'll be 100% behind whoever makes the team.

@AvengerRam Love your polls, but as usual there isn't a "None Of The Above" option. Because, as usual, I often tend to have an unorthodox approach to topics of football, politics, pot-stirring, and the 1st Amendment.

Yes, if the coaching staff believed him to be the best available option to back-up Jared Goff.
NO, I wouldn't sign him. I would disagree with the coaching staff's decision. But if he gets signed, I will be 100% behind him. Goff and the current system is a beautiful marriage. I love Kap's past success, but I don't think he can be successfully plugged into the Rams offense without the entire system being changed.

Yes. It would make an important statement, even if his skill level is questionable at this point.
NO. The Rams had better leave this aspect alone. I was disappointed in the Rams stance before this current about face. Considering the past comments by McVay, and that a couple of former relatively excellent players were let go, that I think for performance reasons they should have been kept. I also think the Rams are better off staying in lockstep with the Commish and avoid having to explain their past decisions.

No. Even if he is arguably the best option, the attention/distraction he'd bring to the team would override the benefit.
I couldn't chose this option either. I don't view this as an "either this option or the previous option" The distraction of the previous question is a big no-no, but Kaep's distraction is exclusive of my take of the previous question, and something I can live with. I support his 1st Amendment right 100%. The official game reporting/interviews, antics should be about what he can contribute on the field. His presidential choice, political views, (the same with Derek Carr's religious choices) should be made on their own time, not in uniform or during pre-game or post-game press conferences. Yet, the media stirs the pot anyway. The football reporting press is to blame for this. Give him all the non-football press, but do it out of the game reporting contexts.

No. Even if he is arguably the best option, I don't like him or his approach, and would not want him on my team.
I like him, and I respect his approach. I will argue that he isn't the best option for the backup in current scheme built around Goff

No. I don't care about his politics or persona. I simply don't believe a QB who has been idle for years could succeed.
I don't care about his politics or persona. But I do believe a QB that has been idle could succeed. I think Marshawn "The Beast" Lynch is a perfect example of someone that did succeed as a backup.

• 1 / 8
73 posts Apr 19 2024