14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by LARams_1963
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1191  
United States of America   North Port, FL
Pro Bowl

It sounds like everyone is on the same page as far as his contract. Good news!

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-cb-jalen- ... -extension

Around the NFL
Tuesday, May 26, 2020 11:03 AM

Rams CB Jalen Ramsey has no plans to hold out sans extension
Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020
Kevin Patra
AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Jalen Ramsey enters the final year of his contract still waiting for his first big long-term payday.

The Los Angeles Rams corner, however, isn't worried about a deal getting done and indicated to reporters Tuesday that he's not planning a holdout if an agreement isn't finalized over the summer months.

"The Rams know where I stand and that's all that matters at the end of the day," Ramsey said, via NFL Network's Steve Wyche. "It will get handled. They have been in contact with my agent. They are on the same page. They know what's up. I know what's up. I'm going to let them handle that. I can't worry about that. I can control what I can control. Everybody knew what type of situation it was going to be once they traded for me. It doesn't need to be talked about that much. It will get handled. I will let then handle the business side of it. I will focus on football."

Traded from Jacksonville to L.A. midway through the 2019 campaign for two first-round picks, Ramsey holds a wealth of leverage over the Rams. His confidence and plan to report to camp even without a new deal speaks to his advantageous position in talks. The new CBA rules prohibiting holdouts make it more difficult to skip mandatory work.

Can't-Miss Play: Jalen Ramsey gets MAJOR air for first INT with Rams
Last year in Jacksonville, Ramsey pulled up to training camp in a Brink's truck, wanting a new extension from the Jags. The money never came. The corner finally forced his way out of Duval via a trade to L.A.

Ramsey is set to make $13.703 million on the fifth year of his rookie deal.

With his leverage and standing as one of the top cover corners in the NFL, the 26-year-old should set the market for the position. The Dolphins signed Byron Jones to a five-year, $82.5 million deal ($16.5 million per year) with $54.375 million guaranteed. Ramsey should expect to top those numbers and could approach the $20 million-per-year mark.

"There's a lot of dialogue," McVay said of talks between the Rams and Ramsey's representation, per Wyche. "The anticipation in acquiring him is that he is a Ram for a long time. We went and got this guy with the hope that it's not a short-term thing."

McVay, on a video conference with reporters, added that Ramsey could end up re-setting the contractual market for cornerbacks.

If a deal isn't reached this season, the Rams could employ the franchise tag in 2021.

Ramsey's current leverage suggests a contract will get done at some point, and the Rams have been adamant they'll keep the corner around long-term as well.

"I'm so impressed with Jalen's leadership," McVay said, regarding what he's seen from Ramsey during virtual meetings. "When he came in (last season) I was so impressed. Now you have a foundation where you're able to talk to him about stuff outside of football. You really get a feel for his football acumen and seeing the game through the lens he sees it. It's going to be fun watching him grow. I'm just really enjoying getting to know him better as a human being. The more I know the more I love this guy."

Entering a new defense under coordinator Brandon Staley, it sounds as though L.A. will lean on Ramsey even more in 2020.

"With Jalen, what's awesome about him is he can play anywhere," the DC said last week, via the team's official website. "He can play outside or inside or safety. So we can move him around if we need to."

Ramsey said he was looking forward to playing under Staley.

"I'm very excited about the way I'm going to be utilized in this defense. I'll leave it at that. I think my talents will be shown thoroughly," Ramsey said Tuesday, via J.B. Long of the Rams' radio network.

The more Ramsey shows off his talents, the bigger his payday could be whenever it eventually comes.

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:What I see and read about the Ramsey situation isn't much different from what I read and saw about Donald, when it comes to the contract situation.
They'll sign him. It would be a catastrophic embarrassment to let him walk, so.. he'll set the market.

Yeah, he will set a new high for CBs. And (it looks like) the Rams won't have a problem with that.

by Juggs
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   46  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

I just can not comprehend where the hell we get the money to pay him. He NEEDS to be a ram for a long time to avoid Snead getting fired I believe. But where do we trim the fat? How do we? I'm not a cap guy, but as thunder-fucked as we are this year....does it get better?

by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Juggs wrote:I just can not comprehend where the hell we get the money to pay him. He NEEDS to be a ram for a long time to avoid Snead getting fired I believe. But where do we trim the fat? How do we? I'm not a cap guy, but as thunder-fucked as we are this year....does it get better?

We have quite a bit of cap room in 2021, and his contract doesn't expire until then, so we're really talking about an extension that would be largely absorbed after the Gurley/Cooks hits pass.

by AvengerRam
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:They opened up a ton of money for next year by losing Cooks and Gurley now. Will they be able to keep Ramsey, JJ and Kupp? That's less clear, without knowing how the current economic crisis could impact the salary cap.

They'll keep Ramsey. They positioned themselves to survive losing Johnson or Kupp.

I have to believe that, of the two you've mentioned, Kupp would be a much higher priority than Johnson. JJ is a very good player, but you can find guys like him in the Rounds 2-4 of most drafts.

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Juggs wrote:I just can not comprehend where the hell we get the money to pay him. He NEEDS to be a ram for a long time to avoid Snead getting fired I believe. But where do we trim the fat? How do we? I'm not a cap guy, but as thunder-fucked as we are this year....does it get better?

They have cap space already in 2021, and can get more.

I think they were smart with the cap this year. It's tight but they're making it work. In fact the point of it being tight this year is precisely to clear space for next year, when they have to sign a couple of their own guys including Ramsey.

And of course any extension Ramsey signs in 2020 starts counting against the 2021 cap, not the 2020 cap.

Assuming nothing catastrophic happens to the NFL cap by then, in terms of 2021, they already have 40+ M in space and the capacity to get up to 14+ M more, depending on what happens with guys like Whit, Hav, and Robinson. And depending on what happens, Woods might also be a consideration (they save 9 M on him and it's his last year).

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Per spotrac.com, NFL TEAMS' 2021 CAP SPACE (TOP 51)

RK. NFL TEAM..........2021 CAP SPACE ($MILLION$)
01. COLTS.................110
02. CHARGERS..........98.5
03. JAGUARS............97.6
04. REDSKINS...........88.5
05. BENGALS............84.4

07. SEAHAWKS.........63.9
09. CARDINALS.........58.5
16. SF 49ERS............44.2
17. LA RAMS.............49.5...NO TYPO! WONKY SPOTRAC RANKING HAS SF AT #16! :?

Anyways, if Jalen Ramsey does command near $20 Million for 2021 Salary, there is no way we keep JJIII, if we also sign Cooper Kupp for 2021 and beyond......SO, good thing Snead grabbed Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller as insurance. 8-)

Still and all, it seems we vault into same Cap Space ballpark as our NFC West Division rivals for 2021 8-)

....which is a big improvement from this year! Seems the Rams braintrust decided to take ALL the Cooks/Gurley Bad Medicine in one single season (ie. 2020).

It's probably the smartest thing they could've done, given that cesspool of a Salary Cap hole they had to deal with......all caused by two snake-bitten Contracts with Gurley & Cooks.

Good work by Snead to rob Bill NFL'sVillageIdiot O'Brien of that Houston Second Round Pick for Brandon Cooks. It got us Van Jefferson, a potential starting WR replacement for Los Ramos. :idea2:

by safer
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

We are taking a $20mil dead money cap hit this year, so it will get better.
As for Ramsey, it was just plain, f'n stupid for us to trade all of those picks and NOT have a long term deal already signed. He has as much leverage as he wants now. Just stupid on our part---and yeah, he's a helluva player, and I was happy to read he won't hold out. That was pretty cool on his part.

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 17 2024