41 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by Ramsdude
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:damn, ain't that the truth, had never heard of or seen her before, mama mia what a beauty...

Money can buy you anything...or anyone! Everybody's got a price...

by Zen_Ronin
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

I wanted Goff in the draft and I'm still super happy with him. Are there areas he needs to improve in? Absolutely! But I'd still take only about 5 other NFL QB's over him, and I could probably even convince myself why he's better than at least 2 of those.

by Haden
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2134  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

Goff all day. Better downfield passer when he has time. His shootout with Mahommes was incredible.

by HellRam
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   436  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Not even a debate really imo. It's Goff!

Dak has had a better oline, defense, and equal RB. I'll give the Rams a edge in WRs/TEs over the last couple years.

It's arguable Goff is the Rams driving force. I mean it sure isn't our defense.

by aeneas1
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

from 2017-2019, who has the highest redzone qb rating (min 100 redzone passes):

jared goff
tom brady
drew brees
russell wilson
aaron rodgers
philip rivers
matt ryan
ben roethlisberger
dak prescott
deshaun watson

hint - his initials are j.g.

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Just as you have to take into consideration how things changed for Goff under McVay, including his o-line and skill players, I think Dak deserves the same consideration.

In 2019, Dak played a full season with Amari Cooper and arguably had a legitimate target on the outside for the first time. Even with Garrett still as his HC, Dak responded with 4,900 yards, 30 TD/10 INT. That's a pretty darned good year. It was also the first time Dak was in the top 10 in pass attempts.

Dak's career completion % is 65.8 @ 7.6 YPA.
Goff's career completion % is 62.4 @ 7.6 YPA.

Dak's career TD% is 4.7 and INT% is 1.7.
Goff's career TD% is 4.7 and INT% is 2.2.

Overall, I don't see how Goff is clearly a better passer. They are very comparable in terms of production and efficiency. One area where Dak is clearly better is rushing.

Dak has 1,221 yards and 21 TD's rushing and 5.1 YPA.
Goff has 215 yards and 6 TD's rushing and 1.9 YPA.

Overall, I'd have to give the edge to Dak when it comes to the numbers. He produces just as much in the passing game and far outproduces in the rushing game.

by /zn/
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Overall, I'd have to give the edge to Dak when it comes to the numbers. He produces just as much in the passing game and far outproduces in the rushing game.

Except you're doing the "career averages without context" thing. That means you built 2016 and 2019 into the numbers without acknowledging Prescott never had a 2016--he starts from day one with a solid, top OL and Elliott. Goff starts 2016 with his OL in disarray, Gurley in a down year, and so on.

Without 2016, Goff is 1064 of 1664 for 64%, 4.9% TDs, 2.0% Ints, 7.9 per attempt, and an avg. qb rating of 101.3. That includes 2019 with an OL that began shaky and then got injured on top of it.

So that's

Goff: 64%, 4.9% TDs, 2.0% Ints, 7.9 per attempt, and an avg. qb rating of 101.3.
DP: 65.8%, 4.7% TDs, 1.7% Ints, 7.6 per attempt, and an avg. qb rating of 97.

Raw averages as I said disguise contextual issues and don't account for a player changing because of circumstances.

You can have running production from the qb if you want. That just gets down to choosing between a pure pocket passer and a qb who can and does run. There are arguments on both sides for that. I will say this--with better circumstances (including both the Dallas OL and RB being consistently good), the DP Dallas team has gone 40-24 which is a 60% win percentage, and the JG Rams team (minus 2016) has gone 33-14 which is a 70% win percentage.

I just think that if you put Goff on the 2019 Cowboys and Prescott on the 2019 Rams, Prescott does not hold up as well whereas Goff excels.

by snackdaddy
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Dak had a great rookie year. The best of his career. Best QB rating of his career. Most wins. Since then, not so much. Had good year as far as number last season. But his team was something like 22nd, 11th and 8th in TD's the 3 years since his rookie season.

Like Wentz, the numbers look good but the points and wins are average. Even with one of the best lines and running backs.

I know Goff hasn't responded as well to the adversity last season. But I believe if you give Dak that adversity and he'll do worse. Give Goff the good situation as far as line play and running, I believe he'll do much better than Dak.

by moklerman
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Except you're doing the "career averages without context" thing. That means you built 2016 and 2019 into the numbers without acknowledging Prescott never had a 2016--he starts from day one with a solid, top OL and Elliott. Goff starts 2016 with his OL in disarray, Gurley in a down year, and so on.
I wrote a whole paragraph on context. Dak has had a good line and running game but he's also not had much of a receiving corps or been asked to pass the ball like a league leader might. Basically, he's been in a run-heavy offense most of his career. While that may help with efficiency numbers it also detracts from production. Statistically though, Dak's been on an upward trajectory.

Goff hasn't really established who he is IMO. Started very rough, then shot through the roof, now came back down to Earth. I can't say with any confidence who the real Goff is. At his best, his numbers are very good. That isn't where he's currently at though.

So, take each of their best seasons and Dak matches up well. Take their career numbers and they match up too. So, I don't see how Goff is clearly a "better" passer. And if they are comparable in terms of passing production, being a clearly more mobile and productive runner seems like the tie-breaker.

by R4L
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Goff all day, everyday and 3 times on Sunday. Dak is overrated because he plays for Dallas imo.

• 2 / 5
41 posts Apr 18 2024