70 posts
  • 4 / 7
 by R4L
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

BobCarl wrote:Jeff Fisher couldn't do it on offense were we supposed to think a rookie HC could?

I think the disconnect with Phillips was that the players he was given didn't match the "we not me" scheme that he was expected to run.

Gifted press/man-to-man coverage CB's are no doubt offended when being expected to play Zone. "We not me" fits zone ... but it is a complete different mentality for man-to-man talent.

Any experts out there that can explain the difference in man-to-man/zone concepts for 4-3 vs 3-4 ?

Mcvay had called plays before. The new DC has not. I'm just a bit concerned ;)

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

R4L wrote:Mcvay had called plays before. The new DC has not. I'm just a bit concerned ;)

Nothing wrong with being concerned but plenty of reasons it can work too.

Martz brought in Lovie Smith in 2001 and the results were pretty impressive...

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
Administrator

https://www.therams.com/news/rams-dc-br ... len-ramsey

Rams DC Brandon Staley has big plans for Jalen Ramsey

J.B. Long
VOICE OF THE L.A. RAMS

One minute, 48 seconds.

That's how long Brandon Staley waxed poetic about Jalen Ramsey this week, when asked about his All-Pro corner.

"I love coaching this guy," the Rams new defensive coordinator told reporters in a virtual media session. "It has been one of the unique parts about this whole thing, the relationship that I've been able to form with him in a short time."

Acquired from Jacksonville for a pair of first round picks last October, Ramsey has been on Staley's radar since his freshman year at Florida State. Staley had multiple connections with that Seminoles staff, and combined with his observations of Ramsey's NFL career, held an informed opinion about the cornerstone he was inheriting when Sean McVay hired him.

"(Jalen) has been really, really fun to work with. He has got high capacity to learn; he's got a high capacity to lead."

Settle in, because Staley was just getting started.

"He's got command of all the positions in the defensive backfield," the first-time NFL defensive coordinator continued. "You know, I do not look at him just as a corner. I look at him as a (defensive back). This guy can do anything. He thinks like a quarterback. This game means a lot to him. His craft, his focus, his commitment… I couldn't be more impressed with this guy."

Not that we doubted Ramsey would be wearing Horns for many seasons to come, but Staley's affinity certainly can't hurt.

And from a coach's standpoint, not a bad idea to invest heavily in one of the new pillars of this roster. Next to Aaron Donald, there's a case to be made for Ramsey as the next-best player on the roster.

"He and I talk two, three times a day," Staley volunteered. "We FaceTime after every meeting."

That's right. After meetings, they have additional break-out sessions to talk ball one-on-one. Or at least that's the intention. Here's where the challenges of connecting through a pandemic have been accompanied by plenty of silver linings.

Staley reports that his relationship with Ramsey has already been enhanced by the interruptions of the next generation. Inevitably, their extra talk time is derailed by cameos from the star player's two daughters and the defensive coordinator's three sons. Those meaningful interactions would be unlikely to occur during a normal offseason program at the facility.

That's how Staley – finally – wound down his discourse on Ramsey, who is set for his first full season with Los Angeles in 2020.

But later, when asked about the rest of the defensive backfield and how they might complement the Pro Bowler, Staley picked up right where he left off.

"With Jalen, what's awesome about him is he can play anywhere. He can play outside or inside or safety. So we can move him around if we need to."

Safety?

Why would a coach take an elite talent at one of the most important positions in sports and move him around to other positions?

Could be just to mess with opposing quarterbacks. Could be to maximize the speed in the back end, get more corners on the field, potentially if the Cardinals go four-wide.

My guess? George Kittle.

Ramsey has a history of matching with tight ends, and the top tight end in the game is going to be a twice-a-year problem for Staley and the Rams. Even with the investments San Francisco has made at wide receiver, Kittle remains their most troublesome target. Perhaps that's where floating the idea of Ramsey as a "safety" comes in. After all, he's the size of John Johnson, not Troy Hill.

But that's speculation for another day (and Week 6, specifically).

For now, in mid-May, the fact that shutdown orders have somehow helped a shutdown corner bond with his new defensive coordinator should bode well for the future of Ramsey and the Rams defense.

"I think there's a lot more in him than he's shown in the NFL. I mean, he's shown himself to be one of the premier guys. But I know there's a lot more in him for him to showcase," Staley said. "Certainly, looking for him to provide a lot of leadership and production in that defensive backfield."

by snackdaddy
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I'm sure Staley will be calling the plays during games. But I'm also sure McVay will have more of a hand in game prep during the week than he had with Wade. And I wouldn't be surprised if McVay gets more involved during games. Its good that he's confident enough now that he can hire a first time DC. But he'll be calling offensive plays during games. I just hope he can delegate enough to keep from over extending himself.

by ramsman34
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8515  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

The shit Staley will be able to do from a front to coverage scheme and disguise standpoint should be staggering. He has so many versatile chess pieces he can move around the formation. I think our D is goi g to be scary - even if we are inexperienced at LB. there are a number of talented athletes in that group. Just gotta find out how talented a football players each is.

by Zen_Ronin
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

by Elvis
3 years 10 months ago
Administrator

https://www.therams.com/news/defensive- ... ed-players

Stu Jackson
STAFF WRITER

Even from a distance and via digital means, new Rams defensive coordinator Brandon Staley is making his presence felt with a new, yet familiar attitude.

"I mean, the energy (Staley) brings, it's just new. It's kind of like a (Sean) McVay of the defense almost, with the way he talks, how smart he is and things like that," Hill said, referring to the Rams head coach. "Thinking outside the box, I feel like that's what I needed. He's younger in a sense that he can relate to the players a lot."

Staley has held his current position since early February. One month into his tenure, the COVID-19 pandemic shut down NFL teams' facilities, which means Hill and other defensive players have been getting to know him and his scheme through remote meetings during the Rams' virtual offseason program.

Despite the absence of interpersonal interaction, Staley's attitude and vision for the defense are generating excitement.

Hill, who emerged as a starter last season, said the Rams defensive backs had certain ideas they felt they might be able to incorporate into their defense but it wouldn't be taught throughout the whole unit. Consequently, Los Angeles' defensive players wouldn't be able to get in syc.

"But when (Staley's) coaching some of these things, it's like, ok, we was trying to do that last yeah and get that done, but you already coaching it," Hill said. "So now we are all going to be on the same page and it's going to be even easier. These ideas, it's going to make the scheme a lot easier in being able to play different routes and everybody's going to be on the same page."

The player who can best speak to Staley's impact is new outside linebacker Leonard Floyd, whom Staley coached in Chicago in 2017 and 2018.

"He's very energetic," Floyd said. "Like, I can't think of a day where he wasn't ready to get out and go play. He'll have you ready to play. Basically every day we've been having virtual meetings, he's been having guys ready to get on the field and go play. It's just the way words come out of his mouth, he uses it the right way and it motivates everybody."

Players feed off that approach, according to Hill, seeing how in tune the players are with him. And as the Rams' virtual offense program continues, their defense stands to benefit from it.

"The defense that he's bringing in, the scheme that he's bringing in, I think there's a lot of opportunity to make a lot of plays for everybody," Hill said. "I like him a lot, to be honest."

Staley said in times like this, it's important to create that energy.

"We've all been in classes or conferences or seminars where a lot of it's depending on how good the teacher or presenter is for how you really learn the material," Staley said on a video conference with reporters Thursday. "So what we've tried to do as coaches is be on fire every day, to prepare something that is really going to help them get better, making as like being in the office or on the field as possible."

by PARAM
3 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Canuck was calling out Wade half way through the season. He made a comment about the old guy possibly having an inability to match up against these young OC's in the NFL. It also sounds like Hill, while not actually calling out Phillips, seems to prefer somebody to get his ass amped mentally. So it's not that Wade doesn't know defense and the NFL, it's just Staley brings a different approach. IMHO, Wade related to his players as much as Staley might but it's a subtle difference that might benefit the D. And kudos to McVay for seeing that and having the balls to let an NFL legend walk.

• 4 / 7
70 posts Apr 16 2024