51 posts
  • 3 / 6
 by azramsfan93
2 months ago
 Total posts:   870  
United States of America   Arizona
Veteran

Elvis wrote:The offense is our identity and it's basically intact.

McVay is still the HC/Play caller, Goff is still the QB, the receivers are the same, still got Higbee and Everett, the staff is mostly the same with a few minor tweaks (but that's been true every year with McVay). Yeah Gurley is gone and that's big but overall i don't see a lot of change.

The defense is gonna be different but we still got AD. We've had a revolving door at CB since McVay has been here. That's not new.

Also, i'm not so sure there's gonna be a 2020 season, at least not a normal one so that'll be different...

Great post, and I agree.

I said in another post that Gurley being gone, at least the Gurley we all saw for the past 20 games or so, may be a good thing. I always felt McVay was trying to force Gurley into the game plan even when it was not working. He won't be encumbered by this going forward.

On defense, I am actually quite excited to see how this unit performs. I think our D-line will be much better than before (especially versus the run), and our backfield is as good as any in the NFL. LB is the real question, but ILB and their ability to stuff the run is what I want to see. I think we have a lot of talent at OLB - I expect a big year from Obo and Samson. Floyd would be icing if he can step up to his potential.

I am glad that McVay is taking control of the bigger picture. No more letting Wade run the defense on his own. Fangio's defenses have always been top notch.

by Elvis
2 months ago
 Total posts:   25696  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:I would be right there with you if the personnel decisions hadn't been so seemingly shaky. We've spent a lot of 1st round picks on a variety of guys that I thought we were planning to keep. Had a plan to keep. But the short term rentals on guys who are now gone are piling up, the salary cap is stretched thin, stars are leaving, coaches are being let go...like I said, it's probably more about my expectations than anything to really be alarmed about but what looked like a unified command and free agent destination has started to erode.

Who did we spend a first round pick on that we haven't kept?

Cooks may be damaged goods at this point but he's still here. Ramsey is here and supposedly we're working on an extension...

by laram
2 months ago
 Total posts:   444  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

aeneas1 wrote:good friggin' grief...

brady, brees and prescott were held to a combined 3 tds, 2 picks, and an 85.3 qb rating while leading their teams to an average of just 19.3 offensive points - clearly no-show donald had nothing to do with that, instead he just had his thumb up his ass.... grab a glove and get in the game dude. :roll2:

You’re a stat boy I noticed you didn’t post his playoff numbers, instead you retort with some unsupported BS.

What did he have to do with the defense giving up 140+ points in three games and getting run over by the Cowboys in a game they needed for playoff contention??

No sacks vs Cowboys, Saints, Pats or Eagles lines.

Hmmmm

He’s a bottom feeder

by moklerman
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6292  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Who did we spend a first round pick on that we haven't kept?

Cooks may be damaged goods at this point but he's still here. Ramsey is here and supposedly we're working on an extension...
I thought we spent them on Fowler and Peters?

by Elvis
2 months ago
 Total posts:   25696  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

moklerman wrote:I thought we spent them on Fowler and Peters?

Maybe that's part of the problem you're having?

by Dick84
2 months ago
 Total posts:   6276  
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Maybe that's part of the problem you're having?

Goodness. Seriously. And they get back a 3 for Fowler. If Young can play, the Peters trade starts to look even better.

by Dick84
2 months ago
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

laram wrote:You’re a stat boy I noticed you didn’t post his playoff numbers, instead you retort with some unsupported BS.

What did he have to do with the defense giving up 140+ points in three games and getting run over by the Cowboys in a game they needed for playoff contention??

No sacks vs Cowboys, Saints, Pats or Eagles lines.

Hmmmm

He’s a bottom feeder

Oh, boy.

by moklerman
2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Maybe that's part of the problem you're having?
Probably. I would have sworn we'd give up a 1st in each of those deals.

Overall, I'm willing to wait and see how it all pans out. McVay has earned plenty of rope and molding this team into what he wants now that he doesn't need the same type of support that a 1st time, inexperienced HC needed when he was hired will crystallize just where he is as a HC.

But all of this change still has me concerned. I can't help but think that Gurley, Zuerlein, Bones, Phillips, Fowler, etc. were more than insignificant pieces to our recent success and losing them all at the same time is going to be a pretty big adjustment.

by Dick84
2 months ago
Italy   LA Coliseum
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Probably. I would have sworn we'd give up a 1st in each of those deals.

Overall, I'm willing to wait and see how it all pans out. McVay has earned plenty of rope and molding this team into what he wants now that he doesn't need the same type of support that a 1st time, inexperienced HC needed when he was hired will crystallize just where he is as a HC.

But all of this change still has me concerned. I can't help but think that Gurley, Zuerlein, Bones, Phillips, Fowler, etc. were more than insignificant pieces to our recent success and losing them all at the same time is going to be a pretty big adjustment.

You're absolutely right that those guys were BIG contributors to the Rams recent success. The Rams and McVay will have to develop/find new contributors, and that's the nature of long term success in the NFL.

by moklerman
2 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:You're absolutely right that those guys were BIG contributors to the Rams recent success. The Rams and McVay will have to develop/find new contributors, and that's the nature of long term success in the NFL.
I agree but still feel it's a bit shocking for it to be happening like this 3 years into his tenure. Tearing down Fisher's team and re-shaping it to his liking would be expected. Seemingly tearing down what was a successful 3 year run is unexpected to me.

Maneuvering, adjusting and modifying things along the way is the reality of the NFL, I agree. But this seems like more than just massaging the system and pieces that are in place. This seems more like wholesale changes. Which is the basis of my unease.

• 3 / 6
51 posts May 30 2020