42 posts
  • 1 / 5
 by moklerman
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

It feels to me like the Rams are going to be a completely different team next year. That might turn out to be a good thing but so far, my initial reaction is to reject much of what they've been doing.

My impression was that the team was not too far away from getting back to the playoffs but they seem to be jettisoning what was here. Paying to get rid of Gurley, not retaining Zeurlein for what seems like an affordable contract, the logo debacle...this has been a very tumultuous offseason so far IMO.

Maybe it's just my expectations. I really had a totally different idea of what this offseason was going into 2020. I thought that it was going to be a time of celebration and ushering in a new era of the continued work that started when Kroenke took over. But it doesn't feel like that at all to me.

I'm less sure about the Rams than I have been in a long time. Don't know the reality of what's happening with the stadium. Don't like the choices they made to change the logo, much less what they changed it to. Have very little optimism about their re-design of the uniform. No early draft picks. Paying to get rid of Gurley. Letting Zuerlein walk. Couldn't afford to keep various defenders.

This is not what I envisioned a winning team to be dealing with. I'm ready to be proven wrong and hope that my tea leaves are wildly different than the reality but I don't feel good at all about this team.

by Elvis
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The offense is our identity and it's basically intact.

McVay is still the HC/Play caller, Goff is still the QB, the receivers are the same, still got Higbee and Everett, the staff is mostly the same with a few minor tweaks (but that's been true every year with McVay). Yeah Gurley is gone and that's big but overall i don't see a lot of change.

The defense is gonna be different but we still got AD. We've had a revolving door at CB since McVay has been here. That's not new.

Also, i'm not so sure there's gonna be a 2020 season, at least not a normal one so that'll be different...

by Claremontram
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   226  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Don't underestimate the impact of this Virus on the entire football operation.

Not sure how they are maintaining their focus during these rough times.

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It feels to me like the Rams are going to be a completely different team next year. That might turn out to be a good thing but so far, my initial reaction is to reject much of what they've been doing.

My impression was that the team was not too far away from getting back to the playoffs but they seem to be jettisoning what was here. Paying to get rid of Gurley, not retaining Zeurlein for what seems like an affordable contract, the logo debacle...this has been a very tumultuous offseason so far IMO.

Maybe it's just my expectations. I really had a totally different idea of what this offseason was going into 2020. I thought that it was going to be a time of celebration and ushering in a new era of the continued work that started when Kroenke took over. But it doesn't feel like that at all to me.

I'm less sure about the Rams than I have been in a long time. Don't know the reality of what's happening with the stadium. Don't like the choices they made to change the logo, much less what they changed it to. Have very little optimism about their re-design of the uniform. No early draft picks. Paying to get rid of Gurley. Letting Zuerlein walk. Couldn't afford to keep various defenders.

This is not what I envisioned a winning team to be dealing with. I'm ready to be proven wrong and hope that my tea leaves are wildly different than the reality but I don't feel good at all about this team.

Oh I don't know either but.....

Many fans were totally unhappy with 2019. Going from Superbowl to 9-7 was a shock to the senses wasn't it? And your worry seems to reflect that.

"Paying to get rid of Gurley"? Few fans were pleased with his season and his contract as a result of that. And lots of teams "pay" to get rid of players. It's what happens when one of four things occurs....., there are cap issues, the guy no longer comes close to being worth the money; there is a division between that guy and the team/coach, the guy wants out and forces the issue. With TG, his situation may meet 3 of the 4, possibly all 4.

Z? Yeah there's an indication they didn't want him back. He's had injury problems in 3 of the last 5 seasons. Maybe he's not Greg the Leg anymore? He missed 9 field goals last year but it could have been the type of kicks he missed. He was trotted out quite often over his career for long field goals so that's where you'd expect most of the misses. But last year he missed 6 between 40-49, 1 that would have without a doubt changed our record and put us in the postseason. The previous 7 years he missed 8 from that distance. Perhaps the back injury made him less effective? Or was it just a bad season?

"Couldn't afford to keep many players" is something that's been happening every year. Watkins, Ogletree (who we traded), Quinn (who we traded), TruJo, Barron, Suh, Joyner and Saffold. This year, Littleton, Fowler, Matthews and Robey-Coleman.

Much of your concern or worry is about things that have nothing to do with performance. The stadium, the logo, the uniforms and the lack of draft picks. We've not had high draft picks since 2016 and we've managed to go 33-15, including an "off" 9-7 season.

Maybe McVay has seen something and he wants to change it now. The 9-7 to us doesn't seem that bad considering the 12 or so seasons previous to McVay. But to him, maybe 9-7 felt more like 4-12?

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Yeah, we don't resemble ourselves. Not sure what were going to have.

Money, personalities, overreactions, too much youth?

by PARAM
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Here's a list of the starters we lost under McVay

2016-17:

William Hayes
TJ McDonald
EJ Gaines
Eugene Sims

Kenny Britt
G Rob
Cody Wichman
Tim Barnes

2017-18

Alec Ogletree
Trumaine Johnson
Conner Barwin
Robert Quinn
Kayvon Webster

Sammy Watkins
Tavon Austin

2018-19

Ndamukong Suh
Mark Barron
LeMarcus Joyner

Rodger Saffold
John Sullivan

2019-20

Dante Fowler
Corey Littleton
Clay Matthews
Eric Weddle

Todd Gurley

Add any that I may have missed.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 weeks ago

We Not Me and NFL [not for long] is making it difficult to follow the 'we' part. Who are We Not Me?

by moklerman
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Perhaps it isn't more change than usual in terms of the number of players but it still seems different. Maybe it's because it felt like addition by subtraction? This year, it just feels like we're losing our core members.

But it's also because the aggressive spending really feels like it's catching up this year in both salary cap and draft picks. Add that to it feeling like McVay's relationship with Gurley soured, McVay and Bones seemingly at odds, Wade kind of getting kicked to the curb...the "all on board", unified vision and direction I thought this group had seems to have fallen by the wayside. Maybe it's all for the best and McVay will make the team even better but I'm very leery of so much change so quickly.

Again though, I hope I'm just way off on this.

by Hacksaw
4 years 2 weeks ago

I hope you are too!! It's hard to know how all this is going to mesh with coordinators changing too. . As long as our key guys stay upright, especially our QB, it should work out. The Staley scheme will be a test to see who fits. I hope these players can adjust quickly. And adjust during the season as well. Praying we don't see the cb's lining up 15 yds downfield on 3rd and 3 anymore.

by ramsman34
4 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

PARAM wrote:Here's a list of the starters we lost under McVay

2016-17:

William Hayes
TJ McDonald
EJ Gaines
Eugene Sims

Kenny Britt
G Rob
Cody Wichman
Tim Barnes

2017-18

Alec Ogletree
Trumaine Johnson
Conner Barwin
Robert Quinn
Kayvon Webster

Sammy Watkins
Tavon Austin

2018-19

Ndamukong Suh
Mark Barron
LeMarcus Joyner

Rodger Saffold
John Sullivan

2019-20

Dante Fowler
Corey Littleton
Clay Matthews
Eric Weddle

Todd Gurley

Add any that I may have missed.

In this light, doesn’t look that bad frankly. We will se how the ‘19 losses perform and impact their current teams vs what their replacements do for the Rams and how the Rams shake out at the end of the season. If we have a season.

• 1 / 5
42 posts Apr 16 2024